The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Daddy's Girls



Zoe and I are the only females in the house, as the rest of pets, including The Boss, are males. So it was nice to hear that someone else is in my same testosterone-filled boat, regular Pet People reader, Stacey. Her husband, Bernie, has read it too, she says, but he seems to think my husband is getting the short end of the stick around here. Boo hoo, I feel his pain, but I assure you, The Boss's pain isn't anywhere near what I have to put up with!I told her Bernie will just have to post himself and stick up for the poor, put-upon pet daddies and husbands of the world.:)

Back to Stacey. She sent me a picture of her "Daddy's Girl," Lucy and said the following: "This is my youngest, Lucy, on the back of the couch watching her Daddy out the window. She loves to lie on the back of the couch and see the world. Many evenings I come home from work and can see her face there in the window. You can see the sway in the back of the couch from it being her favorite place to be. It's funny that she is so comfortable on the couch, because when she came to us from her foster home, getting on the furniture was a new experience. Her foster mom didn't allow that, so I actually had to teach her it was okay to be on the couch. Now, she gives you that sad face if someone is sitting in HER spot.

"She and I are the only women in a house full of men (1 husband, 3 male cats, and 1 male dog), so we have our work cut out for us. She has been great for my oldest dog, Reb. He's a geezer and she's still a pup in most ways, so she gives him a run for his money. She literally runs laps around him in the yard, which is a hoot to watch. He is more active with her around, which is good for both of them. I'm afraid she's turning into a Daddy's girl though."

I don't get the the Daddy's Girl thing. With Zoe, I feed her, brush her, walk her, give her treats and otherwise do everything for her. She's Daddy's favorite and he takes her for a ride every week when he takes off the garbage. But she loves him best. Hmmmmm. I knew something wasn't quite right with that dog!

posted by Sandy at 1/13/2007 10:05:00 AM

9 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Thank you for posting my Lucy on the blog!! Isn't she beautiful? That is one of my favorite pet pictures ever.

But, I totally agree Sandy. I do most everything for my pets also. I didn't say ALL, because Bernie does feed them in the evenings and sometimes cleans the litter box for me. Actually, he usually bathes them in the summer time too. Hmmmm.....maybe he does more than I thought he did. I do have to make the trips to the vet and give Reb his medicine.

Maybe it's just that natural little girl thing. Weren't we all Daddy's girls when we were young? Maybe the same thing applies to dogs. Maybe they just have that natural need for Daddy? To be adored by the male. Let's face it. Puppies usually have their Mama around, but how often is there a Daddy dog there with them? Maybe that's why they turn into Daddy's girls, because they never had a Daddy before. Hmmmm....

Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Well, I must admit since I've been working nights The Boss feeds the dogs at night and does clean the litter boxes at times as well. And that sentiment about them "never have had a daddy before..." almost made me cry! And I have Peanut--he's a mama's boy. Scooter, well, he's a whole other story!

Sunday, January 14, 2007 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

My oldest, Ranger, is totally a Mama's boy. He has never liked men in general. The Humane Society where I adopted him thought he was abused as a kitten, probably by a man. It irks my husband no end, because even after the 10 years we have been together, Ranger still won't give him the time of day. Ranger will sleep on the opposite side of me from my husband, and will leave if Bernie tries to reach over and pet him. Sometimes, if he catches him asleep or just when he wakes up, he can get some rubbin' before Ranger realizes who it is.

Sunday, January 14, 2007 9:23:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Poor Ranger. Makes you wonder what kind of life he had before you that he is so scared of men.

My dog Zoe must have been hit at one time, because even after 8 years of living with us, whenever you go to pet her, she sort of cringes her head down a bit. Dogs and cats can both be very forgiving of people, but I think they also can't help remembering!

Monday, January 15, 2007 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

It is truly amazing considering what some abandoned animals go through that they can ever learn to trust humans again. It's all part of that unconditional love thing, I guess. I don't know what I would do without my babies!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:22:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Reading what all of you ahve written has my heart hurting for these poor babies just wondering what they may have gone through before you adopted them! At least now they have good Mommy's and Daddy's to love them and take good care of them. Jon does most of the litter box changing ( we use liners the only plastic Brittany doesen't try to eat ) and cleaning when he is home. I ahve to do it myself when he is out of town with his job which is a lot. He sure is a good Daddy and helper when he's home and he knows how much I appreciate him. My babies are such good company for me when Daddy is not home and I'm with you Stacey, I couldn't do without them!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I'm going to try and writ this without crying. While we're on the subject of our babies and what they might have gone through before we adopted them I want to tell you about my Samantha and her appetitie. We had to put Sammy to sleep last year at the age of 15 and although she had lived a good long life it still broke our hearts. Sammy was brought to the vet at about 6 months old by a man who lived in the country. He said someone had dumped her out near where he lived and he wanted to bring her to get a good home. Now the vet is my daughter's father-in-law and we had just had to put our precious cat Tiger to sleep and I was in grief. Jon was in Iraq so it was even harder to deal with. Our vet said I needed another cat and after about a week I was considering it. We came home one day to find Billy had brought over Sammy who didn't have a name at that point. We had just come from Subway and Sammy grabbed my daughter's sandwich and took off with it. I tried to take it away thinking how people food wasn't good for her and she hissed and growled at me. She was eating like she was starved and we knew she'd been getting lots of food. I felt sorry for her and let her have more because who knows how long she had been without food before that man found her. To make the story a bit shorter, from then on Samantha acted like she was starved every time she ate. She ate so fast and then she'w throw up. She's have to eat again. We started teasing that she was bulimic. She ballooned to 15 pounds and stayed there till the year before she died and she still ate like that too. We loved our Sam so very much and we still miss her terribly but she gave us a wonderful 15 years!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

It is always so hard to lose a pet. I know exactly how you feel. One day we'll talk more about that with everyoe here.

I have to tell you all my story about my first cat, YOGI. It's hard for me to talk about, but he is what made me fall for cats for the first time in my life. His life ended tragically, but I really believe he came to me for a purpose. One day I'll blog about that special cat, my first. I had him only a year.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 9:59:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

God bless you Sandy. I know how bad it hurts. As I said earlier later I will tell you about our other precious cats and dog too. It hurts but it also helps to talk about them too.

Friday, January 19, 2007 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation