The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Friday, January 12, 2007

Don't Miss Poncho & the Pooch Cafe!

I believe there are many reasons to read an actual newspaper—like the fact that you can relax in bed with it and take it with you anywhere. But for me, one of the best reasons to check out the print version of The Leaf-Chronicle is the comic strip “Pooch Café,” which chronicles the daily trials of a little dog named Poncho. I start every morning with a cup of coffee and the “Pooch Café.”

Even if you read the paper daily, you might have missed this gem, because it appears on the front of the classified section. Don’t miss him any more! Poncho is a little dog who thinks he’s a tough guy, but at heart he’s an insecure wussy dog. His owner married a cat-loving woman, so he has to deal with several enemies (and a friendly fish he commiserates with on occasion). He hates his owner’s cat-loving wife, Carmen, and conspires to break his master and her up. He has adventures with and hangs out among his dog buddies at the Pooch Café.

One of my favorites: Poncho’s up on the couch, looking out the window and barking his head off at the squirrels. His master screams, “Poncho, shut up!” Poncho barks, master yells. Bark, shut up; bark, shut up; bark shut up. Then Poncho is sitting at the bar with a drink and his mutt buddies and complains wearily, “My master wouldn’t shut up ALL DAY.”

My Mom, who lives in Pennsylvania, fell in love with him too, so now I cut them out and mail them to her. My sister bought me two books of the cartoons and a Pooch Café T-shirt. It is my favorite comic strip of all time.

Comic strips and cartoons are windows we can peer into to see our true selves, and Poncho is one every pet lover should check out daily!

posted by Sandy at 1/12/2007 11:56:00 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

I thought I was the only one that loves my Pooch Cafe. They are hysterical. Some of the things he says and does...I can just totally visualize these things going on in my dogs head.

The series when he almost drowned and the mailman saved him and he couldn't even bring himself to say "thank you", because it was the MAILMAN!!!! TOO FUNNY!

I didn't know there were books! I'll have to check that out.

Friday, January 12, 2007 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

I have never seen that cartoon! I get the paper everyday but I usually skip over the classifieds. I am going now to dig mine out of the car and find it. I love Marmaduke also. I always go straight for the comics and read about my buddy Marm. He so reminds me of my sweetheart Boxer "Cody" that I had until a few years ago. Just like Marmaduke, Cody ran the house, we just paid the bills for him.

Friday, January 12, 2007 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Lots of pet-loving people I've talked to say they never noticed Pooch Cafe because it's in the classifieds. That's why I had to spread the word! He's a hoot, really. It's worth a subscription to the paper just for him! LOL. The books are great too.

Another of my favorite Ponch adventure was when he was forced to go camping. He asked if they ran out of food and got stranded could they eat his wife. She tries to be nice to him, but he won't have it!

I had read a while back that they were thinking of making a cartoon TV show based on the strip. That would be great!

Friday, January 12, 2007 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Uaually the first thing I look for each morning in the paper is The Pooch Cafe. Even though it is a bit over the top sometimes you gotta love it!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation