The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Monday, January 15, 2007

The Little Man has Balls!



Dogs Scooter and Zoe aren't much for toys—they enjoy their rawhide treat in the morning after breakfast, as does Peanut. Scooter will chase a ball, but won't bring it back, and he especially likes to retrieve a ball if I throw it in the yard and Peanut goes after it. And THAT is the problem, because Peanut loves his balls!

Any ball that is tennis-ball size he just adores. He has a basket full of them and always carries one around with him like a baby. The Boss always has to comment “Why does he need another ball? Doesn’t he have enough?, blah, blah, blah.” Peanut will even take the ball of the day with him outside when he goes to do his business. And if I hear him whining a certain whine (just like a mother knows what a baby’s cry means), I know it means one of his precious balls is under a couch or bed and he can't reach it. I hate retrieving them from those depths, because then I spot all the accumulated dog hair. Some balls will stay in the yard for ages, and then one day he’ll bring them back in, a dirty mess. He has fits when I take them to wash the grime off!

One time I got a cheap little ball that cost $1 in the PetsMart bargain bin. It was plastic, designed sort of like a baseball, and had a bit of lamb’s wool around it. He went NUTS over it and kept it with him 24/7, even when he ate dinner (he set it down by his bowl). Enter the bully, Scooter. For some reason, Scooter, the big, bossy Alpha boy took a liking to it and always snatched it away from Peanut, causing Peanut to lose his mind. His forehead would literally wrinkle with worry when he saw Scooter with that ball. I'd take it away from Scooter and give it back to Peanut, but being the wussy that he is when it comes to his relationship with Scooter, he'd always lose custody back to Scooter.

Now I know Scooter doesn't give a hoot for balls; he simply wanted to lord over Peanut and torment him. It got so bad that I was afraid there would be a fight, because those two have had a few bleeders in the past (before Scooter’s training course). So what did I have to do? Get rid of the ball! It ticked me off, because I knew Peanut loved it. Now he's back to others in his collection and Scooter leaves them alone.

Peanut has a true possession obsession when it comes to balls. His security blanket perhaps? Tell me what your pets’ love to love and can't live without!

posted by Sandy at 1/15/2007 10:56:00 AM

9 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Sandy,

My boxer Cody loved balls also-any ball was a ball for chasin as far as he was concerned.The bigger the better. He even loved those huge bouncy balls. They would only last about 15 minutes befor he popped those. But his favorite ball was our daughters basketball. He would somehow snag a piece of the basketball between his teeth and trot all over the yard with it. He would eventually puncture the ball(this was his goal from the beginning)Then the fun really began. He would peel away bits of the outer covering of the ball, giving him a "tag" to hold onto and making it easier for him to fetch and tote around. Before he went outside, you would see him frantically scan the room for his ball. He would pick up this tattered basketball and carry it out with him. In the summer, he would stretch out on the grass and peel more of the balls covering off. And then dutifully bring it back inside when he came.I don't know how many basketballs we went thru. He would finally tear off all the outer covering, leaving the ball slick and useless to him even.

One of my inside kitties-Bubba- has a frog that was once a stuffed animal that he loves. He pulled all the stuffing out so we re-filled it with walmart bags.I think he enjoys the crinkly sound effect. He walks around with the frog in one side of his mouth,and howls out of the other side.

I feel sorry for Peanut losing his favorite ball! Could you go back and buy 2 of them or would they still fight? I have to buy everything in lots of 2's or my daughters will fight. It gets expensive but I think its worth not having to deal with the battle!

Monday, January 15, 2007 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy Britt said...

That's too funny! Basketballs aren't cheap are they? How long did they last? Reminds me of how my dogs are with stuffed toys (I don't get them any more). They'd work a hole in them in 2 seconds flat and pull out all the stuffing! I used to sew them up but then just gave up. Peanut did that to a few porch chairs when he was younger and The Boss had a fit! Once I bough new cushions and covered them with pillow cases so The Boss didn't notice, and then after a few months took them off. He never knew! LOL.

I have a stuffed frog too that my first cat, Yogi, loved. It's filled with something that makes a crinkly sound, so stuffing with plastic bags is a great idea, because the cats do like the sound.

Good thought about the two balls, but you have to know Scooter. He doesn't actually WANT the object--he wants want the other one has even if he has his own. Even with rawhide chewies--they all get the same, but I've caught him helping himself to Zoe's and adding it to his own. Zoe is a darling and won't put up an argument, so she's an easier mark. Why I always supervise when they have treats!

Monday, January 15, 2007 1:58:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Umm, Sandy, I hate to point out that the Boss knows NOW about the chair cushions......

HA!

Monday, January 15, 2007 2:22:00 PM  
Blogger Daisylouu said...

My dog Bennie's favorite toy is whatever my other dog, Murphy, happens to have in his mouth at the moment. Our version of playing "ball" is simply to have me throw the toy for Murphy and then Bennie chases HIM and takes the toy out of his mouth and returns it to me.....then I hold Bennie back while I throw it for Murphy, and the game begins again and again

Monday, January 15, 2007 7:22:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Shannon, one of my cats does that too! His THING is a fuzzy red mouse that has something in it that rattles as opposed to your crinkly sound. It's not soft, it's hard, like maybe it's that sisal rope stuff covered in fake fur. He will carry that thing down the hall in his mouth, making the most God-awful mewling noise. If you walk up to him, he'll drop it at your feet and prance and meow, just like it's a real mouse he caught.

I tell my husband frequently that the fur-babies are better entertainment than most of the junk on TV these days.

Monday, January 15, 2007 9:30:00 PM  
Blogger Birdie said...

Birdie loves her little plastic jacks. My kitten "Socks" can not live without his baby. His baby is a mini beanie baby. He loves to carry it in his mouth through the house.

Monday, January 15, 2007 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy Britt said...

Stacey, The Boss doesn't want to read about the pets he has to put up with day in and day out! Daisy, Bennie is like my Scooter, a selfish, selfish dog! Birdie, it's funny how they carry their "babies" around. I saw on TV once a doxie that carried the cordless telephone around. I wonder why they do that? Peanut's a boy, so it's not like he has maternal instincts!

As for as cat toys, I made some for my cats out of soft material stuffed with catnip. They love those! I made them in the shape of a snake, fish and mouse.

Monday, January 15, 2007 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I agree with Shannon on buying two of the same balls. In fact maybe you could even fool Scooter into thinking he has Peanut's ball that way. Think about it.
Pam

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I have three cats, Brittany, Courtney, and Penelope, all adopted from Cats Are Us. Brittany and Courtney will be 7 years old soon and Penelope will be 6 in early summer. They all have very different personalities as with most pets. Brittany the natural hunter can't bring us mice or dead animals since she is a inside cat (all three are )so she brings us wash cloths and socks. We'll hear this little cry to let us know she is on her way with our present and then there it is, she leaves it on the floor for us. Of course we have to give her a treat for that and say thank you. They all scratch on thier cardboard scratching box for treats too.

Shannon is lucky they can fill things with Wal-Mart bags. My Brittany eats them. We can't have any kind of grocery bag or plastic bag of any kind left out or she will eat it. She doesn't just chew it she swallows it. The way I knew she was doing this is I found it in her stool in the cat box. We have to keep her from this since it could make her sick. Why she likes plastic we can't figure out. The only plastic she doesn't want to eat is the cat box lining. Weird huh? I'll tell you more about all my girls later.
Pam

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation