The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Friday, February 02, 2007

SNOW JOB!


When I left work last night, it had just started snowing a few flurries. Then this morning, what a beautiful sight when I first peered out of the window! Looks like about 2-3 inches here in the SW corner of the county.

Coming from Pennsylvania, where you really get snow, and where you have to often shovel a peeing path for your Great Dane, I don’t mind it. I get a chuckle at the reaction in the south to a few inches, but understand that the roads are more dangerous because, well, so many people don’t know how TO drive in the snow! No, you do not STOP going up a hill! You do not have to drive 2 MPH either! When I make comments about "real" snow, The Boss says, "Well, you can always move back to Pennsylvania!" LOL. Nah, that would make him too happy!

Do your pets love the snow? My dogs do! This morning they looked as happy as kids on Christmas morning when they first went outside. They all ran to the yard, did their business, then started rolling in it—the snow, not their business! Zoe has been in and out at least three times already, and every time, her whiskered face comes back with tiny balls of snow stuck all over. The snow also made the three stooges as frisky as a sailor on shore leave! Peanut especially was wound up. Ever have one of your dogs race around in circles like a maniac, jumping from couch to chair to floor and back around, as if the living room was a racetrack? It’s hilarious, because he’s also sliding all over the wood floor as he races around. When Peanut does this, Scooter wants to throw down and a wrestling match ensued. All in good fun.

Tarzan seems to not mind the snow. He’s been outside for quite awhile running around. Catfish is a true Southerner and hates it! I haven’t seen him out all morning. Last year I did catch him prancing through the snow and it was hilarious! He looked like he was snaking through a Conga line, because after every single step he’s shake his front paw, first the right, then the left. He’s now looking out the window, and he has a sour puss on.

Another good thing about the snow is that it’s nice and easy to spot the land mines in the yard! I think I’ll go out and clean them up and see if I can start a snowball fight with the dogs! Enjoy the view while it lasts! Oh, and is anyone’s sinuses bothering them? For the past two days I’ve had wicked sinus headaches. This morning, whenever I bend down (and with pets you do that a lot!) I get shooting pains in my face!

Picture above is of Daisy, my sister’s dog who died a few years ago.She collected snowballs in her face just like Zoe. It was after Daisy's death that they adopted Bennie, the dog-coat hater, from Second Chance & Happy Tails.

posted by Sandy at 2/02/2007 11:14:00 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

I didn't get the chance to see if Lucy wanted to play in the snow this morning or not. The hubby was waiting on me so I could ride into work with him this morning. He's not a patient man in the morning. Reb just said "it's friggin' cold out here, open the dang door and let me back in!!!" His old bones don't like cold and snow anymore. Last year Lucy enjoyed running in the snow. Of course, she is young and enthusiastic, so she enjoys everything!

Except popcorn. I find that so strange, but she won't eat popcorn if the hubby gives her some. Even Casper, the famous ladder cat, likes popcorn. Don't ask me what that has to do with snow......

Friday, February 02, 2007 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Daisy is so sweet looking and looks like she enjoyed the snow. Since my girls are total inside cats they don't know what the snow is so don't know what reaction they would have to it.
Yes to the sinus question. Mine have been driving me nuts! I've had lots of pressure and sneezing like crazy and penelope has been saying bless you a lot. Sounds like you might possibly have a sinus infection though so don't wait if problems persist or get worse. Ok, here comes the Nurse out,ha. Can't help it, it's habit.

Friday, February 02, 2007 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

P.S. to you Sandy, Take your fingers and press slightly on your forehead above your eyes and below them along the sides of your nose and on your cheeks. If you feel any pain or a lot more pressure you need to go on to see the doctor because you probably do have a infection and need a antibiotic. Hope you feel better.

Friday, February 02, 2007 2:24:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Stacey, goes to show how animals are as different from each other as people becasue my sisters dog Brady loves popcorn! She also like Werthers candy. When my Mom walks in the door Brady goes nuts untill she gets his Werthers unwrapped and tosses it to him. If she doesn't get it right awy he goes to her purse and cries till she gets it. He does the sme thing with my sisters mother-in-law, he has them well trained don't you think?

Friday, February 02, 2007 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

That picture of Daisy is so cute! She looks like she'd been shoveling the snow with her nose. Stella really could careless about the snow. Oscar LOVES it. I can't get him back in the house sometimes. He will have ice balls hanging from him face and chest and have snow packed in his toes, be wet and shivering and still will not come in. Mattie is the complete opposite. She HATES the snow or anything wet for that matter. I have to push her out the door. She will walk to the edge of the patio, do her thing and come right back in.

Sandy, I feel your pain when it comes to snow and how people drive. We are in North Virginia about 5 miles from DC. When it snows or they even talk about snow, people FREAK OUT! Being from Colorado; snow doesn't bother me much. A couple of weeks ago we had 2 whole inches and every school in No.Va, DC and MD was closed. I had to call my mom in CO and tell her. She laughed. She has a 4 foot wall of snow going down her driveway right now and still goes to work. They predicted snow for today and almost every school and military base was on a 2 hour delay. We haven't had anything today accept some rain. The only good thing that comes out of it is an extra day off from work if you’re lucky.

Friday, February 02, 2007 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

You know it's really strange how the weather has changed over the years. When I was little and during my growing up years we had snow all winter. I grew up in Northeastern Ky. and school was only called off when it was over about a foot and a half or more. We used to be so happy when it was called off but it took a lot. We drove in snow on roads that were near impossible to get through and everyone was used to it. When we went to Germany and it snowed where we were, WE were the ones passing the Germans,ha. It was odd.
Now in our hometown area they don't get the big huge snows like back then very often. I've become a softie now and my husband teases me about it because I'm scared of driving in it when I used to not be afraid but it's been so long for me. Last time I drove in a lot of snow was about 1991 or 1992.I ahve become a wimp.

Friday, February 02, 2007 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

What a cute little snow bunny!

We had one “big” snow, being about 3 inches, whoopee... the year we moved into our house here in Georgia. Skeeter was still with us then and we took him outside to see what he thought of the beautiful white fluff. He was an indoor cat but I would take him out on the porch or patio with me at times in his later years and he was such a good boy that all I had to do was say his name in a certain tone of voice and he knew he was getting out of the boundaries. He would stop in his tracks and mind my every word. I swear he was part human! He was old and frail that day we took him into the snow. We sat him down and the snow came up to his thinning belly. He kind of sniff the white fluff then he trotted to the front door of the house! When I got to him, he was shivering and I felt sorry for him. I felt guilt for making my baby shiver so I took him back inside and warmed him up. Skeeter never had desires to be an outdoor cat. He was content being a spoilt inside baby. I had the cam-corder with me that day so I have his snow experience on film. When I see it, it still brings tears to my eyes...


It has not snowed here since Sheba and Cheetah came into my life. So I would not know if they like snow or not. They do not like the rain. In their, ‘stay cats in my yard’ days, they would take refuge in a wooden tree house that was in our yard when we bought the house. It was cute the way they would climb the ladder and go into the house for shelter. Now they take refuge in our house and will never know what snow or the rain fell like as they are pampered indoor babies now!

I went to school in the 70's in Clarksville and remember it snowing (or icing) really bad one year. We were out of school for so long; that we had to go to school on a few Saturday's to make up all the missed days! Does anyone else remember that? I would like to see them try to make a kid go to school on a Saturday now! LOL...

I was talking to my mom in Clarksville yesterday (Thursday)on the phone and she said she had a really bad sinus headache also. Guess it was the pressure in the air with the change of weather. Hope y'all feel better soon!

Friday, February 02, 2007 7:25:00 PM  
Blogger Braveheart said...

Love the title "Snow Job!"
Hilarious. Snow for my dachshund girls?
Trouble on the top...trouble on the bottom as an old friend said to me once since they are so low to the ground. When it rains and snows doxie have both.
;)
Love these blogs Sandy. Keep it up.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation