The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Stewart and Lee Erwin, Hearts of Gold


If you've lived in Clarksville any length of time, you may know Lee Erwin, the promotions director at 5-Star Radio. Lee is a great guy, who gives a lot back to the community helping nonprofit organizations. You won't meet a nicer guy.

Many years ago, he adopted a dog, Trixie, from Cats Are Us. Trixe was about 7 when Lee adopted her, and he enjoyed her company for about 7 more years. Like anyone who loves their pet, Lee took her death hard. He didn’t get another dog right away, in fact, he was hesitant about it. You know how it is when you lose one and go through that pain. Those who knew him always asked him about his getting another dog, and he wasn’t ready. He also was concerned about his job keeping him away too much, though he did say he missed having a dog to walk with every day like he did with Trixie.

One day I took pet pictures at Inge Irby’s Second Chance & Happy Tails to put up on her Petfinder site. There I saw, Stewart, a male dog that looked a LOT like Trixie. He was older too, and a sweetheart. I told Inge that he’d be perfect for Lee.

Fate: that same day, I stopped at Kroger on Wilma Rudolph, where I NEVER had shopped before. I stopped by on a whim since I was in the area and needed groceries. Who do I see there in the store? Lee! I told him how I just met his “new dog.”

Lee thought about, and with some encouragement from his girlfriend, decided to adopt Stewart. Stewart was sent on his way to the vet to get neutered, and somehow, he got loose and went missing! We were all devastated worrying about both Stewart and Lee. We made flyers and called area shelters and put an ad in the paper. And guess what? He was found and returned and Lee finally made him a part of his family.

Lee had him only a few weeks, when it was discovered he had a hernia problem. Stewart had to undergo surgery, and many hundreds of dollars later, Stewart was back at his new home. He fit right in and Lee had another dog to walk with.

That was about a year ago. Friday I was devastated to learn from Lee that Stewart had died. He developed some more stomach/bowl problems, and when Lee took him to the vet and they opened him up to try and fix things, they found the hernia had wound its way extensively around Stewart’s intestines. The vet recommended putting him down, as it was just too much damage to make Stewart better.

Needless to say, I’m heart-broken for Lee, who had a long, hard path to be ready for another dog after Trixie died. Why did he have to lose Stewart so quickly? We will never understand why such things happen, but I know Lee has a heart of gold and I know Stewart was lucky to have a happy life with him after years of being neglected. I just hope Lee will remember when he’s ready, that there are lots of Trixies and Stewarts out there that need someone just like him. I hope he doesn't wait too long, though I understand everyone is different in how they greive. I'm grieving for Lee and Stewart. I ask why did this have to happen to him, so soon? But I know from my own experience with Yogi's death, that things happen for a reason and purpose we don't always understand and that good does come from hurtful things.

Keep Lee in your thoughts and prayers.

posted by Sandy at 2/11/2007 12:25:00 PM

9 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Sandy, my heart is breaking for Lee right now and I've already said a prayer for him. I will continue to keep him in prayer since I know the pain he is in. At least Stewart is with Trixie and all of our beloved pets now. Happy and never to hurt again. Now I am ready to bawl myself silly but my heart is aching for Lee!

Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:50:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

Stewart needed Lee. And for a short time, too short, Stewart had love from a wonderful human, Lee. Lee reached out to Stewart and Stewart reached back. Bittersweet but ever so special. They were lucky to have found each other with your help, Sandy. There are truly more special friends out there. Give them a chance to know love.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 6:17:00 PM  
Blogger Braveheart said...

I sure know the pain of loss of a pet...Sandy you remember Ol Flossy's girls story...headed to Animal Control b/c she was too old, shook, had terrible teeth etc and no one would adopt her? Except I was determined to find her a senior rescue and save her sweet life. well...I saved her allright. Right into our home for another 31/2 years!
Best dog I ever had. She ended up with me b/c I could love her to the end and give her the best life possible for her golden years. THAT is why Lee got that sweet dog. Someone knew Stewart would have the best life with him...no matter how short.
Run fast and long Stewart...I know my ol girl Flossy met you in Heaven. ;)
Peace and prayers to Lee from our furry group.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:42:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

braveheart,Got back on here before going to bed and saw what you wrote about your sweet Flossy. God bless you for saving that sweet old girl. So many others would have just let her go but you have the kind of heart that cou;dn't do that. If only there were more people like you in this world! Thank you for your kindness!

Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Lee is a great person to give Stewart such a good loving home. I only wish they had had more time to be together with each other. My heart goes out to you Lee…

Hubby's mom works with a group called Ricci's Rescue in VA... I don’t know too much about it but from what she tells me it is a type of Hospice for animals. A woman has dedicated herself to taking care of un-adoptable animals. She allows them to spend the remainder of their life on the land with her good care. I think that is a great program because there are not too many people that will take in an animal with health issues. What a great person she is to do this for the animals…

Monday, February 12, 2007 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Skeeter, not that is a heartwarming thing to hear. Thank God for wonderful peole like that!

Monday, February 12, 2007 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Can't write at all tonight, what I said was "Now" that is heartwarming. And to repeat, waht a wonderful person that lady is to have the hospice for animals. I pray for the Lord to fill her life with blessings over and over all the days of her life!

Monday, February 12, 2007 6:19:00 PM  
Blogger Laurisa said...

Poor Stewart and poor Lee. I remember when we rescued him out here in Stewart County. When he went missing it was just the worst thing ever. Then he turned up 3 weeks later and we never figured out how he traveled as far as he did. He was a very smart dog. I know Lee is grieving and missing Stewart. He gave him a great life. He'll be in my prayers.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hi Laurisa! Glad you joined us--hope you have time to come by often. I know you too are sad about Stewart. I just hope Lee finds it in his heart to get another dog. He needs one and some poor lonely dog out there needs him too.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 8:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation