The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tongue Action!


What would we all do without our tongues?

Roxanne's (Skeeter) says of cat Sheba: "This is a new trick that The Saint taught her recently. I never thought I would see the day that I would allow an animal to drink from the faucet in my house! But she is sooooo cute who could deny her this little water faucet drinking game."

Well, I'd say it's better to drink from the faucet than the toilet!

The dog top left, is Adrienne's Mattie, licking her chops. Adrienne says:
"Mattie had just finished a really good dinner and had her entire head in her bowl."

Top right is Zoe, and YES, it is an ugly picture (though Zoe IS NOT ugly, she isn't always photogenic). She likes to lick a lot! When my cousin was visiting for a few days, Zoe kept licking him all over. He finally grabbed her tongue and held it to see if that would make her stop. It didn't.

I got to thinking after looking at all these tongues, just how different dogs and cats are. Dogs always let them hang out. They pant and "sweat" through their tongues, while cats never seem to do this. How do cats sweat? I love when Catfish licks my face--it's like a spa exfoliation! But a dog's tongue is smoother. So when a cat licks you it feels sort of neat, as it's rough, while a dog's kisses are wet and messy, just like they are!

Then you have the difference in noses and sense of smell. A cat has sharper sight, while a dog has a sharper smell. I notice my cats sometimes can't find a treat, even if it's right under their nose. A dog can find the treat if it's in another room! If I drop one morsel of dog food that get's hidden, Peanut goes nuts! I don't see it, but he smells it, so I have to find it, or I'll never have peace! Cats are so much neater and have much better manners in general. I love the way they drink--so quiet and dainty. Dogs, on the other hand, are often big slobs. But I love them all, don't you?

posted by Sandy at 3/20/2007 07:11:00 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Hmmm....the way you describe them, dogs sound very much like men (big slobs) and cats are very much like women (neater, quiet, and dainty). Interesting.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:14:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Who knew such a little dog would have such a long tounge! Mattie is the licker in our house. I can't get her to quit. That picture is her Grandma's favorite b/c it shows just how un-princess like Mattie really is.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

But who knows what cats do when no one is watching? They probably do a lot of "dog" things, just hide it better, whereas, dogs don't care! Even "princess" dogs have to let it out sometimes! I know what you mean about getting them to stop licking. Zoe is never going to quit! I guess they find comfort in it.

But there are always exceptions to the men-dog, women-cat comparison. I for one am neiter quiet or dainty, though I lean towards the neat side--I am not a big cleaner, but I dont' like clutter. So, my place might be dusty and the floors full of dog hair, but not a lot of clutter. That's all hidden behind closed doors and in baskets!

Did you ever see that dog toy that is a ball with a big rubber tongue? So when the dog has the ball in his mouth, it looks like a huge red tongue is hanging out? I should get one of those for Peanut!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Whisper said...

I've noticed that when a cat gets to his/her senior years they get what hubby and I call "tongue alerts." I have several cats reach 10 years plus and occasionally they will sleep or just sit with a little tip of the tongue poking out. When either of us see that now with Larry, we yell, "tongue alert!" I don't see it in my younger cats. Just one more way that my babies keep me amused... thankfully, I am easily amused!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I agree that cats graceful and more dainty but let's face it folks- If they decide they want to lick thir butts they just hike up thier leg and go at it and they don't give a flip who is in the room.

Alice, all of my cats have done the little tougue hanging out thing even when they were younger. My oldest two are just turning 7 and they ahve done since they were younger too. It's cute but scared me the first time Samantha did it. I thought she was sick.

Has anyone else heard about the reason cats don't stink like dogs? The supposedly have something in ther chemical make up that is like a natural deoderant that keeps them from stinking. I think I read that on CatAge but don't remember for sure.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Well, Pam, I don't know about you, but about the butt licking thing..... Nope, family paper, can't go there..... LOL!!!!

Sandy, I'm not dainty or quiet either, as you well know. But, I spoke in general terms. We are exceptions to many rules.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

On the thing with the cats having the natural deoderant thing, I forgot to say that it is in thier saliva and when they groom themselves they apply it.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 5:18:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Alice and Pam, my Skeeter use to stick his tongue out at times when sleeping. And yes Pam, the first time I saw it, I thought he was dead! I about freaked out and when I woke him up, he gave me the meanest look as if I had woke him from a really good dream. I have yet to see the girls do the tongue thing.

After reading what Sandy wrote, I am glad that Sheba likes fresh water out of the faucet. I could not imagine the Queen drinking out of the toilet, Gross!

I recall a story about a St Barnard drinking the toilet dry every day! Funny but gross…..

Mattie is so cute. She resembles my brothers Tipsy Lou! And Sandy, this is not one of Zoe's better pictures. I know you must have better tongue shots of her...

The Saints parents use to have two cats and their sand box was in the utility room which was by the kitchen. Every night at dinner time just as we started to eat, both cats would get into the box and dig for treasures! I thought it was funny but mother in law was mortified at their behavior but hey, what can you do....

I think doggies get a smell from their running and playing. I think they sweat. House cat don’t move too fast so they don’t sweat! Although I thought my two sounded like a herd of elephants chasing each other at 5:30 in the morning on Sunday!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation