The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Monday, April 23, 2007

Pets Across the World


The Boss says I think too much and worry about things that I can't change. In a way that's true. I'll see something on the news or in the paper and go off about it.

The recent pet food poisoning is one such subject. To hear that the Chinese factory might have added something on purpose--to boost protein levels cheaply in order to make more profits--is a case in point. That got me to thinking about cultures across the world and how they treat animals and specifically pets.

Months ago I was horrified to read about the Chinese government's solution in one province to rabies. They killed thousands of dogs, pulling them out of owners homes and slaughtering them as the owners screamed and begged them not to.

I know some cultures eat dogs. And yes, we Americans eat certain animals that others in another country would never. For examples, to Hindus, cows are sacred, so they don't eat beef. I respect that.

Muslims think dogs are unclean, and so dogs in Muslim countries are pretty much nothing more than vermin to be tolerated. Mohammad liked cats, so cats are okay as pets. This really upsets me, because dogs have been partner to mankind for tens of thousands of years. Hunting, herding, protecting--so much good that I can't believe any culture or religion or whatever would dismiss this.

Then you have Europeans, which are even more lenient with pets than Americans. In France, for example, dogs are welcome with their people in most restaurants and are allowed places other countries would never allow a dog.

In our hyper politically correct world we now live in, we are supposed to "celebrate" diversity and differences. We can't be ethnocentric and think our culture is superior. But I disagree. I respect any culture or religion's RIGHT to do as they see fit. But respecting one's freedom and RIGHT to do something is a far different thing that respecting the ACT or belief itself.

Sorry for such a depressing topic, but it's been on my mind. I look at my pets and think how lucky they are and can't help but wish all had it so good.

On a lighter note, Daisy lou sent this picture of Benny with his favorite toy. She's having a problem replacing her other dog, Murphy's favorite toy:

" I'm going nuts trying to find Murphy's favorite in a store......I got 2 at Redner's, they are super-small, made for toy dogs, and very very very soft, like a baby toy. Murphy just LOVES those and I cant find them at PetSmart or anywhere, even Dr. Fosters doesn't have them! Here's a picture of Bennie and his favorite; do you remember it? I think you sent it to him for Christmas. He never destroys his toys. This is the only one he chewed things off of, but it's definately his favorite."

Daisy, do you have an old picture of one of Murphy's toys so we can see it and offer suggestions? How does everyone deal with being unable to replace a pet's favorite toy?

I had to laugh at the condition of Bennie's toy. I had a stuffed monkey Daisy lou sent years ago. The dogs chewed an ear off, and I'd sew it up. Then antoher ear. Then a nose. An eye. I kept sewing it up. Before I finally tossed it, it looked like it had gone through 10 major surgical procedures! But they loved it, so I wanted to keep it around as long as possible. I don't get stuffed toys any more, because Scooter has the stuffing out in one minute flat!

posted by Sandy at 4/23/2007 08:42:00 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Daisylou, Try www.jefferspet.com. They are pretty inexpensive and have a decent variety.

Monday, April 23, 2007 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

The Europeans do have it right with their animals! In Germany, you are responsible for anything your pet does. Most Germans put their dogs through obedience training and they also have insurance on their pets as well. The well behaved dogs are free to go into any establishment as long as they do not cause any trouble. I have sat next to people that had 2 German Sheppard’s under the table while eating at a restaurant! I did not know they were there until the people all got up to leave and the dogs quietly came out from under the table!

Our friends Sheppard Lab mix, Lobo scratched up a new Mercedes and their pet insurance paid to have the car repaired with no problems.

You do not see stray animals running rampant in Germany! But in Italy, that is another story. The Rome Coliseum is full of stray cat’s! Don’t know why they allow so many stray cats to roam but I did not see stray dogs while on my travels in Italy, just cats…

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:28:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

The baby Chickadee birds left their house on Saturday! I heard the Blue Jays and Hawk squawking so I feared they would make a meal of the tiny chicks by days end. Within 10 minutes or so, little Skeeter the Jack Russell from two doors down came for a visit. I know she is a hunter so I knew if she spotted the babies, that she would kill them from instinct. So I called her mommy and asked her to get Skeeter girl back home. I was in the yard planting flowers and worrying about the tiny birds about 30 minutes or so later. I was wondering if the hawk or Jays got to any of them. I went to get the hose to water the freshly planted flowers and there it was. One of the tiny Chickadees was on the hose watching me! I carefully unwrapped enough hose to fill my watering picture and he just watched me with curiosity! I was amazed that he stayed there the entire time. I just had to snap a picture of him before he took off for the wild…

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation