The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Monday, April 16, 2007

A Tribute to Trouble


I love this picture of Trouble that Alice sent a while back and that was posted here. It might look by the picture that he's causing trouble by messing with the printer, but I think he was just being helpful in un-jamming the paper.

As most of you know, Alice got some bad news about Trouble's health, that he has FIP and that she'll have to help him to the Rainbow Bridge.

Alice mentioned below that she wants to get a companion for Scooter, Trouble's buddy, and that she was thinking of a cat Toby she saw on the Cats Are Us Web site. I checked with Cats Are Us, and I think Alice might have clicked on the wrong link of cats that already got adopted (the happy tales link), because Toby has a new home. However, as I told Alice below, there are many, many wonderful cats at Cats Are Us, and that Suzanne and Greta can help her find a good match for Scooter, as they know all the cats' personalities and know who is good with other cats, etc. So Alice, please let us know if you visit the shelter and what happens! As Suzanne says, cats often pick out their people! When I lost Yogi, I thought I'd get another cat that looked like him, but then I fell for Catfish, who is nothing like Yogi was. I think the same thing will happen to you if you go there--you'll simply get a feeling when you find "the one."

So how have you all integrated a new pet into a house full of other pets? I had always thought that opposite sex pets are the best for the buddy system, but found out that two male cats are often great together, as are Catfish and Tarzan. Of course, when you bring in a new cat or a new dog, the resident pets sometimes get miffed and you might have a few spats--especially with cats--but that's perfectly natural.

Too many people want to bring a cat back to the shelter too soon, because they say it doesn't get along with a resident cat. The thing is to give it time and introduce them gradually. Keep the new cat in a room by itself at first, letting the others get used to the scent, then letting them see each other through a pet carrier maybe, or other separation, then allowing them contact. When I brought Catfish home, he was traumatized by his new surroundings after being in the shelter for a year or more, and he hid for THREE WEEKS. I never saw him and only knew he was there by the litter box deposits and the food he ate!

We all know how hard it is to loose a pet to accident or illness, but we also know that good does come from bad in that another homeless pet is given a chance at a new life. I think all our departed pets look down and are thrilled to see someone become as lucky as they were to have such a good life with a wonderful family of pet lovers.

Do you have any stories of good that ultimately came from losing a pet? I still haven't told Yogi's story, but even though his death was devastating to me, a lot of good came from it, which I will tell you soon.

posted by Sandy at 4/16/2007 08:36:00 AM

11 Comments:

Blogger Daisylouu said...

My 3 cats HATE each other....we do the best we can, but none of them ever accepted the new addition. All spayed females, don't know if that's the problem or just my luck.?

Monday, April 16, 2007 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I hear from the women who run Cats Are Us that neutered males have less of such problems than females. I personally like male cats, female dogs, though there are always exceptions! I've had less trouble with my girl dogs. I've only had boy cats, so I couldn't say.

I think you just got unlucky. You knew Sassy was sweet; Tiger was off the streets and Lily was a kitten. Why I always prefer getting adult pets, because you know what there personality is like. With a kitten or puppy, you don't know, and it's not always about how they are raised. Some traits, like people, are just in the genes, though experiences is the other half of the equation.

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandy, thank you for the lovely tribute to Trouble. It touched our hearts, hubby came to my computer to see what I was exclaiming about. Trouble was a quintessential cat. She preferred dry food over wet, likes to snuggle a little bit but not too much, and loved to find that perfect patch of sun to snooze in. Larry, the senior cat, is more like a dog, Scooter is more like a human toddler, always having to be in the center of things and examining everything close up and personal.

I rescued a cat from a KFC parking lot once. I named him Colonel. He was under the bed for almost 6 months. I shoved his food under there and he used the cat box in the room and one day he emerged and became a wonderful loving cat. It does take time but it is well worth it to see a cat lose its fear and become part of the family.

I am sure whichever cat we find at Cat R Us will fit in fine. I am glad Toby found a forever home. I wouldn't mind a senior or not perfect cat but since we want a buddy for Scooter, we are looking for a younger frisky one, say 1 to 2 years old. It will be great to have advice from the wonderful volunteers there. One can look at pictures all day long but you really have to meet the kitties and talk to the volunteers to get any idea how they might fit in.

Thanks again for the kind words about Trouble. I wish you all could have known her as we did.

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

What an adorable picture of Troubles! I too think Troubles was helping with the printer. Skeeter was fascinated with the printer. He would sit and watch the printer do its thing and seem mesmerized by the paper coming out. Cheetah too has a fascination with the printer but not as much so as Skeeter did. Sheba could care less about the printer!

My two girls get along well but the Vet says he is sure that Sheba is the mommy to Cheetah so we think that is why they are so happy together. They are dealing with us keeping them out of Miss Tuttle's room but they are not too happy with that. They both crawled up on my lap at the same time last night! They have only done that one other time in the 4 years we have had them. It really makes you feel loved to have two babies in your lap at the same time!

We took them to my parent’s house for vacation and we were a bit worried about how that would go with Punkin and Pepper, (did not have Patches then) but they did fine. We kept the door to our room closed and our girls behind the door. Their cats were curious and they all sniffed each other under the door. They even played a paw under the door game with Pepper. That was so cute to watch. Over the days we left the door open as long as someone was in the house in case of a spat. My girls slowly checked out the house and Punkin and Pep checked out our room. They like to find and eat each others food and their cats like to find our girls litter box and bury treasures! Mom loves it when we bring the girls as she does not have to clean her litter box as often because they prefer our girls sand box! We took the girls to TN several times and we never had any major trouble, just a few spits and an occasionally scream from Punkin but she is a screamer with anything that makes her mad….

We have not taken our girls to see their cousins in over a year as Cheetah is not a good traveler. So now we go home for shorter visits and let our girls stay home with the watchful eye of our neighbor. They are better off staying at home because it just stresses Cheetah to much on long car rides...

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Did anyone happen to catch the Ugly Dog contest on Animal Planet last night?
It was the most heart warming thing you ever saw! Pam, you would have been crying your eyes out at this story. They have an Ugly Dog contest to bring awareness to dogs that would most likely not be picked at shelters for their strange looks. This contest proves that ugly doggies make great companions and do indeed need homes. They are special dogs with that look of “only a mother could love it”! Sandy, after seeing that last night, I know your Zoe is beautiful! If they have a repeat of the show, y’all must catch it as it is worth watching….

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Daislouu, you’re post sure made laugh. I think it is a little of both. Sometimes cats are not going to get along no matter what you do. Also those 3 females cats are forced to live with each other. That’s always a bad situation. What is needed is domineering male figure.

Monday, April 16, 2007 6:25:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Alice, that photo of Trouble looks so much like sweet Tiger! I told his story when we first started here but will tell it again sometime. We still miss him. I don't have time now but will tell the stories of how some of my cats paved the way for others.

Skeeter, you know me and you're right I would ahve been boo hooing all ove the place if I'd seen that sow about the ugly dogs. I bet it was good.

Guys I won't be on here much for a day or so but will get back soon as I can.Hope ya'll miss me a little bit.

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:01:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Prince Not So Annoying is the newest arrival to kingdom. The dog greeted him with open arms. Prince did not trust them at all so he mostly hid under the bad. The dogs had the approach of “Oh not another cat.” The cat took their normal attitude of hissing and challenging his very existence. Like I said he hid under the bad a lot. King Feline Evil Demon Devil finally accepted him, or just started to ignore him. Now its one big happy family in the Dragon Kingdom.

Pam, I already miss you.

Sandy, with the warmer weather approaching, are you going to get Mebel out and put her to work. By the way, how is she doing?

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:39:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Dragon, speaking of letting Mabel out... Do you have Guinevere locked up in the castle dungeon? When you going to let her out? We have not heard from her in a while and I am worried about her well being. And what has Smokey been up to lately? Been sitting on the cannon or afraid he will blow off with the wind???

Pam, dont stay gone too long...

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

When I was growing up we had 2 female cats and they got along fine. Carefree adopted us. She was left behind by someone else. When we moved into a house, we started feeeing her. It took her a while to trust us. When we moved we took her with us. She was about 14 when we had to put her down. She had CHF. Our other cat was Ashley and my mom had to put her down a few months back. She had kidney failure that we think was caused by the tainted cat food. Ashley was 17, so it's hard to say. But as long as they were together, they got along just fine. So Dragon's theory about too many females is bogus. Plus it was just my mom and I and our 2 cats. Is that too much estrogin?

Alice, I know you and your family will meet your new family member when the time is right. Don't let anyone push you into finding a new friend for Buddy. When you find each other you will know and that will be the right time.

Monday, April 16, 2007 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Dragon, I am confused? Mabel? Who is Mabel? Does the dragon have me confused with another wench?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation