The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cats Going to the Vet--Wish Us Luck!


Tarzan and Catfish, aka Puff-Puff and Bubby, do not yet know it, but they will be going to the vet today at 1 p.m. for their annual visit and checkup.

I do not like taking the cats to the vet. Dogs are MUCH easier. First of all, I have to get them into the carriers, Tarzan in the medium-sized one, because he is a very big boy, and Catfish in the small one. This isn't too hard, as I put the carriers in the apartment bedroom and close the door. Then I pick up each in turn and put them inside before they know what's going on. I feel so bad, especially for Catfish, because, as you know, he was rescued from a drain pipe at the RiverWalk, where he was living with a fishhook in his mouth, and had to be trapped. He was so scared of people. He hid out here for three weeks after I adopted him before he came out of his shell and let us love on him. Tarzan too was wild and afraid and I had to trap him to get him neutered when he was living the wild life in the jungle. So I know that going in the carrier worries them both.

I have two hard plastic pet carriers, and the last time I took the cats to the vet, we could not get Catfish out of it. We had to unscrew the entire thing and take it apart. So when I was in PetsMmart the other day and saw the above carrier, I didn't even look at the price, I just bought it! It will be perfect for him and once at the vet, I can just zip open the top rather than take the plastic one apart. Of course, what do you think The Boss said about the new carrier that I "didn't need." Sigh, it's not a matter of NEED, it's a matter of ease. Besides, he isn't going to the vet, I am, and anything to make the trip easier is worth every cent.

It takes me 20 minutes to drive to the vet clinic, and I will enjoy Tarzan's loud, pitiful, you-are-skinning-me-alive meowing at the top of his little lungs the entire way there. He's a talker normally, but get him in a crate in a car and I swear, he's almost as annoying as a kid having a temper tantrum in a restaurant (but not quite--nothing is THAT bad.)

So wish me luck and tomorrow I'll fill you in on the trip. Share your own vet stories here too! Above picture is Catfish along with his new carrier. I'll take pictures of him in it and also at the clinic!

Also, congratulate Shannon on her new boxer puppy, Rocky, a rescue dog her family decided to keep! As soon as she sends me pictures I will post them and we can all weigh in. And Shannon, no need to feel guilty. You know Harley (and Cody too)are just tickled that you are rescuing one of their own and giving it the same wonderful life they enjoyed.

posted by Sandy at 5/30/2007 08:12:00 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger B said...

ok Sandy, let's talk about this flower power carrier! lol!!It certainly looks like your all set for a fashionable summer with that one.
Vet visits are not really a big deal for us, unless it's an emergency thing like Lucy's allergy attack last month. Our vet is wonderful, and all the girls there LOVE the babies to death. I know that they care about what they are doing for animals and their welfare. Lucy loves to go, charlie is all about the ride in the car-car, but when he sees where we are, he's not too eager. I think it has something to do with that cut, cut, snip snip job we had done on his privates. LOL. Lucy is the talker once she's in the car. She loves to run from one window to the other, and when she is in the carrier, she can't do that as freely as she would like. Charlie just sits back and smiles. He likes the window down and a nice breeze, and also to jump from front seat to back seat when we've stopped and let him out.
A vet story? Now, you know I have a million stories about the babies. There was a visit when Lucy was little that she had a bladder infection (the first of MANY since then)and they could not get any urine from her to test. The little girl got her a bowl of water, which Lucy immediately put both paws in like a footbath. By the end of our efforts, she (and I) had water everywhere except in her mouth. She would not drink a drop. Finally, I said "Fine, let me show you how spoiled she is." I picked her up, went over to the sink, and let the water puddle in my land. She lapped it up like it was honey on a bears butt.That's Daddies little girl!

SHANNON!!! Congrats on the new arrival. You have saved another life!!!Wonderful you!!! Your the answer to so many shelter workers prayers-an open heart, ready to love "just one more ". God Bless yo and your little Rocky!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:35:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Brett, are you making fun of Bubby's pet carrier? He thinks it's smashing, as I have left it in the apartment for him to check out before I shove him in there later. It will look nice against his black and white fur!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Oh yes, we must co-ordinate. LOL

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Flower Power. I love it!!!

My funniest Vet trip does not involve our pets but a neighbor when we lived in Texas... Our neighbor Vern, had German Sheppard’s. His pride and joys Jack and Brandy had 12 of the cutest little pups you ever saw! Vern was out of town and called and asked us to assist his wife in taking the bundles of joy to the Vet for their first check-ups and shots. Being good friends and neighbors, we gladly accepted this challenge. And I say challenge as it was a challenge! Ever try keeping 12 active pups in a cardboard box while going down the road? Oh my, we would get one escapee back into the box only to find 2 more popping out! It really got comical to say the least. Once in the Vets office, pups were escaping and roaming all over the place! To this day, I still dont know how the Vet kept up with who was who! At the end of our journey, the Saint and I decided we would not volunteer our services again as that excursion wore us out! Well, you know if they asked us we would do it again…

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Skeeter, that is a sweet story. If you can find the humor in a challenging situation, thats what matters. Sometimes the funny part washes away the anoying part. I have hard enough time getting my monsters anywhere when we go--can't imagine having any more. Even with two of us, we keep pretty busy with just the two canines and the cat. Your a good friends and neighbor to have helped them out.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation