The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Monday, May 21, 2007

The Courthouse Crew!


All of you know by now that the county commission finally approved additional money for the new animal shelter. Though it wasn't what they initially wanted, it's better than what was approved by the previous commission. I know several of you wrote letters and called and that's what we need to KEEP doing when it comes to animal issues in our community. I know in the future the shelter, as well as the Humane Society will push for anti-chaining laws, so ordinances can be passed to make it illegal for people to keep pets chained outside 24/7. Also, a push for graduated licensing and promotion of spaying and neutering.

It just goes to show there is power in numbers and in lobbying for an important cause. Keep up letters to the editor and calling your elected officials when these things come up. Their feet have to be held to the fire, or they often won't do the right thing.

The pictures above are ones Stacy sent me, showing some of the people that came with their dogs before the vote on May 14. The dog, lower left, is Lucy, Stacy's youngest dog. I don't know who the dog on the right is, but maybe Stacy knows? He is so cute, as are all puppies!

On a side note:YARD SALE. I don't know if you all noticed the brief in the paper, but the Cats Are Us Yard sale is this coming Friday and Saturday at the Westgate Christian Center building at 1810 Memorial Drive from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. This is a major fundraiser for the shelter and they need you there to shop! Also, they are seeking donations of yard sale items, which can be dropped off at the yard sale location between 8 and 11 a.m. today, Wednesday or Thursday. If you can't drop off items during those times or dates, call Suzanne or Greta at 503-0053 between 9 a.m and noon at the shelter to arrange a drop off another time. Now's a good time to CLEAN OUT those closets!

posted by Sandy at 5/21/2007 08:54:00 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

The puppy in the bottom right picture is Annie (short for Annabelle). Her mommy is Tina Hartman, who took that picture as well as the group shot on the courthouse steps. For those of you that got my video of the two dogs playing at the courthouse, Annie was one of those playful pups. What a DOLL!

Monday, May 21, 2007 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Stacey, guess what I made yesterday? It was yummy, though it was a bit crumbly. Maybe I cut it too soon after getting it out of the oven and should have let it rest for 5-10 minutes? Now that I got the proper pan and ingredients, I guess I'll have to be making it all the time now!

Monday, May 21, 2007 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Outstanding! Did you remember to put some oil in the pan and put it in the oven while the oven preheats, so that the pan is preheated as well??? That could be the problem. Outside of the crumbly-ness, did the Boss give it a thumbs up?? Much better than that mix stuff. I feel like a proud mommy right now.....

Monday, May 21, 2007 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Oh my gosh!! Ya'll have got to look at Melissa's Hot Or Not blog. There is a topic called Old Dogs, New Tricks with a picture of a dog on a motorcycle she took in Nashville. It is so cute. But, what really floored me is that IT LOOKS JUST LIKE MY DOG!!! If I didn't know better, I would swear someone had dognapped Lucy and taken her to Nashville.

Monday, May 21, 2007 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

That was a great photo on her blog!

Not heating the pan long enough might have been the problem. How long is necessary? I'm always afraid to start burning the oil. When I was done washing the pan, I put it on the stove burner to dry and told The Boss to turn it off. He forgot, so it sat there about 20 minutes while I was messing around with the cats!

But even though it was too crumbly, it tasted good and he said so! A Yankee CAN make Southern cornbread NOT from a box!

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

It looks like y’all had a pretty good turn out at the court house. I am sure that all the input helped in the decision making with the needed funds. Glad there was a happy ending on this one.

It does not look like we will be making a visit to Clarksville over the Holiday weekend. We have been away from the girls the last two weekends and I don’t think I would feel okay with leaving them again. They do seem to do well when we are away but we do not want to push the issue with them. We all know that cats can take revenge at a moments notice and I do not want to do anything to assist my girls in bad behavior. I am however toying with the idea of the June 2 get together for the Full Monty night though. Will let you know more on that one in about a week….

We were with our friends in Atlanta this past weekend. They have the Sheppard/Lab mix that loves to play ball with the Saint. I sent Sandy a picture of him with his beloved ball for all to see. ‘

Does anyone like country music? If you do and you ever get the chance to see Trace Atkins, by all means GO SEE him! No one can gyrate hips like that 6 foot-plus tall sexy dude! I think I am signing up the Saint for belly dancing lessons!

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Cats Are Us Yard Sale. Again I will be donating for the cause. Our precious pets are spoiled rotten (Just like myself). Lets do something for the unfortunate pets of Clarksville. I will be donating everything of Guinevere I can get out of the house before she knows it’s gone. Which could be quite a lot. I know this is the time to be thinking of golf and other outdoor activities. Come on now lets donate for the yard sale.

Skeeter, Let me get this straight.
You’re going to sign up the Saint for belly dancing lesson. The teacher is voluptuous, scantily covered female with exposed body parts. Who’s going to shake and gyrate her hips in an unnatural way. ……. Where do I sign up?

Monday, May 21, 2007 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Dragon, maybe for the Humane Society fundraiser at the Ice House next weekend you can do a Dragon Dance, with red thong, as a fundraiser. See how many dollar bills you can get stuffed in the thong. All for a good cause. What do you say? I'lll be going to the bank to day for some singles.:)Of course, you might ruin "The Full Monty" for those of us going to the play afterwards.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:50:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I would have to make a special trip just to see Dragon shake it! Men in thongs trying to move like a woman, Love it!!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Now Dragon, I have to let the Saint have some motivation in learning those hip moves. Right now, he just aint got it!!! If a voluptuous, scantily covered female with exposed body parts for a teacher is what it takes, then so be it… In the end I will have the Saint in my bedroom performing those Trace Atkins gyrating hip moves just for me!

And who said I would not be at the Dancing lessons keeping an eye on things? Mama didn’t raise no dummy….

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation