The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Strange Chain of Events


I blogged a while back about how my drive to work was marred by seeing dogs tied out to their dog houses 24/7. There are two different ways I can drive to work, but both routes took me past one of these poor dogs.

One was a herding breed that especially suffers by being tied out all alone. All dogs need companionship, as they are pack animals, but for this breed especially, being tied out alone must be torture. I'd see him simply lie by his dog house or sometimes play with a black bucket, which made me think he tipped over his water just so he could have something to play with.

The other dog on a different road was maybe a boxer/shepherd bigger breed dog, put there as a pup. He was on a tie out on a clothes line. I'd see him either lying on the ground or playing with an old blanket. I watched him grow bigger and bigger.

Month after month I'd get ticked off having to see this. I'd pray for things to change. Truly, I'd rather see a dog put to sleep than live its life in such conditions.

Just recently, I noticed the second dog gone. Dog house gone, everything gone. At the SAME TIME, I haven't seen the first dog either. The last 3 or 4 times I drove by I haven't seen him and am wondering if he too is gone.

How strange that both these dogs disappeared at the same time. On one hand I am glad, because I don't have to see them suffer any more. I'd like to think the owners decided to find them a good, normal home where they can be part of the family. On the other hand, I wonder if they were simply taken to animal control. I guess it's the not knowing that weighs on me now.

But isn't it so strange that BOTH disappeared at the same time? Maybe my prayers worked after all.

Above is a picture of my aunt and uncle's dog, Sheba, and Daisy's hands holding the ball. They always had German Shepherds until Sheba. Sheba was a handful, as lab mixes can be, and had to go to doggie school. She goes everywhere with them, or when they travel out of state she stays with one of their sons. My family are all big dog lovers, and at get-togethers at my aunt and uncle's house, everyone brings their dogs to romp and play. My uncle actually enclosed 11 acres in an electric fence, so Sheba can be a true country dog and still be safe. How I wish all dogs lived in that kind of family.

And HOORAH for the county commission who finally voted the right way for once when it comes to animal control. I've been hard on them over the years with letters to the editor, but am glad they took this one small step. Next up is licensing, anti-chaining laws and a host of other things they can do to be proactive about the problem. So we all have to still hold their feet to the fire!

posted by Sandy at 5/15/2007 08:47:00 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger O'Malley said...

Sandy that makes me sad about those doggies too. When I see things like that, I have the urge to sneak back during the night and take the dogs. Its not the fact that its illegal that stops me, its the fear of getting shot.

Stacey I love the video from last night. Those pups were so cute.They looked like they were oblivious to everything around them-just enjoying being together and playing. That is such great news about the shelter. Its a start in the right direction.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Sandy, that breaks my heart too about the dogs on the chains. I told you my story of turning my neighbor into Animal Control for leaving thiers tied to the tree with no shelter to go to in the storm. I was so upset about it. I hope it is in a much better and loving home now since they got rid of it. All they cared about was that it was a pure bred and how much they paid for it. They were the same way about thier cat, hope is is loved now too.

Where can I see the video?

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Pam, I emailed a little video earlier this morning. I think it was called "dog video" in the subject line?? I took it with my digital camera. It turned out pretty good. It would have been even better if they didn't have leashes on. They kept getting tangled up, but they didn't care. They were having a ball!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Madeline's World said...

I hate to see dogs tied like this too. Dogs are made to be pets and when they are just tied out with food and water, but no love, they aren't a pet, they are just an expense. Our dogs are loved, well fed, and will sleep on the couch while my husband lays on the couch so he doesn't disturb them. Not all dogs have to be as spoiled as ours (although I think they all should be!), but what is the point of spending the money on food and vet bills if you are just going to chain the dog to a tree. I would love for the owners to be tied to a tree all day long with nothing to do and see how they like it!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:30:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Melissa you said a mouth full! Wouldn't it be great if that were really a punishment for owners who tie thier dogs to trees? It should be a new law!
Stacey I got the video you sent but haven't had time to see it yet, will later. I saw it just as I was signing off earlier,thanks for sharing it.
Sandy, I don't know what is up but I've sent you three things today and got a message all three times saying that time had expired and it couldn't be sent to you. I don't know what that means do you? I sent a test message to everyone on the roster to make sure I typed it all in right since I make a lot of typos on here. I've been sending the things to your home email. If you have any clues let me know.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:48:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Melissa,
You got that right! Let’s chain the owners to a tree for 24 hours in the hot sun, cold snow, wet rain, etc. See how they like it then maybe they would change their minds about them being just a dog! I hate when people say that, just a dog, just a cat, etc... Argggg

Stacey, the video was a great example of doggies having fun playing together. I truly enjoyed it this morning! Thanks for the smile… :)

Hurray the Shelter got the money needed! If only they had gotten the proper amount in the first place without all the fuss from us. Hey, now maybe they will be ready to move forward with other animal issues in Clarksville. There is always hope right???

Sandy, I am so glad that you pointed out that was Daisylouu's hand in the picture. I was not sure at first glance... LOL

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:24:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Pam, Sandy's email at home was on the fritz this morning. I called her because I sent her a couple and they came back also. Everything should be back to normal now, so you can resend what you were trying to send her.

Melissa, unfortunately, those that chain dogs to anything are probably NOT spending all that money on vet bills. If they are so irresponsible to chain out a dog, I would be amazed if they fork over the money to get them shots or heartworm prevention or anything like that.

Sandy, when you told Dragon you would look for more pictures of Daisylouu, I don't think her HANDS were what he had in mind........

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Just to let you all know, Sandy is having computer problems at home. Looks like the lightening got it last night. She probably won't be able to post a new blog topic for a couple of days. So, don't think she abandoned us. She'll be back when she can.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation