DANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER
B, that title is just for you. Being the old TV show fanatic that you are, I couldn’t resist. This is “TA DA” my first post on Sandy’s blog, so don’t be too hard on me guys. We had a topic this past week about pet home remedies, and using natural products for our pets. So, it got me to thinking about things we have around the house that are bad for our fur babies. I think we all know the obvious things, like antifreeze, household cleansers, and pesticides. But, what other, not so obvious dangers are lurking in our homes and yards??
Well, we should all be aware of the plants we might have in our house and our yard. The ingestion of azalea, oleander, mistletoe, sago palm, Easter lily, or poinsettia by an animal could be fatal. And if using rat or mouse baits, or ant and roach traps, you should never place them anywhere that is accessible to your pets. Most baits contain inert ingredients that smell sweet, such as jelly, peanut butter, and sugars, which can be irresistible to your pet.
You should never leave chocolates unattended in an area where your pet can get to it. Approximately one-half ounce or less of baking chocolate per pound of body weight can cause problems. Even smaller amounts can cause pancreatic problems. Chocolate contains a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic.
Many other people foods are also bad for our pets. Onions and garlic cause haemolytic anemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body. Macadamia nuts cause muscle weakness and tremors. Other people food that is dangerous for our pets are pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips, coffee grounds, raisins and grapes, rhubarb leaves, and alcohol and cigarettes (imagine that). Also, milk tends to cause severe diarrhea in most cats once they have been weaned from their mother’s milk. Brett, does that answer the question you asked me at your house about milk for Pearl??
In other words, stick to dog and cat food, and don’t feed table scraps. You never know what could be in there that might have an adverse effect on your babies.
In addition to the usual cleansers and detergents that we think to keep out of reach, many common household items have been shown to be lethal in certain species of animals. Miscellaneous items that are highly toxic, even in low quantities, include pennies (high concentration of zinc), mothballs (one or two balls can be life threatening in most species), potpourri oils, fabric softener sheets, automatic dish detergents (contain cationic detergents which can cause corrosive lesions), batteries (contain acids or alkali which can also cause corrosive lesions), homemade play-dough (contains high quantity of salt), and winter heat source agents like hand or foot warmers (contain high levels of iron).
So, what other things do you guys know about that are harmful to our fur babies and should be kept locked away?? I know there must be many more than what I have come up with.
My picture for the day is Casper and “Punkin” sleeping together in the lawn chair outside. Sandy likes to post all the cutesy pics of her cats snuggled up together, so I wanted her to see that other kitties feel the love too. Now that they have the wonderful “Sweetie Cat Barrier”, they have this huge back yard at their command. But they end up sharing one little chair. All together now…AWWWWWWW.
posted by Stacey at 6/24/2007 08:44:00 PM