The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Feline Foot and Food Fetishes


Okay, Catfish and Tarzan got wind of the fact that I haven't talked about them lately and are none to pleased about it. They're also miffed because I had to put their monthy Revolution on the back of their necks yesterday, and they HATE that. They KNOW when it's coming because they hear the little "pop" of the applicator. I have to hold each one of them as I do it. Luckily, they don't struggle too much, so it's not too traumatizing for any of us.

I have two female coworkers who have only cats as pets. One has three, the other, four times three. We were talking the other day about their eating habits, puking habits, etc. I mentioned that when I go over to feed the cats, there will still be some food in the bottom of the bowl uneaten, but when I fill them up they come running over and react as if they bowls had been empty. Maijaliisa (pronounced MY-LISA) said that cats will not eat the food if they can see a lot of the bottom of the bowl, because they think they might "run out" and want to conserve. She said her vet even said this is a good way to trim the tummies of overweight cats. Just leave that food as is and when they get hungry enough they'll eat what's there. I had never heard that, but it makes sense, because I've never seen an empty cat bowl. Isn't that fascinating?

M's cat also LOVES, loves loves watermelon and cantaloupe. She says she can't even HAVE cantaloupe because Dante goes crazy for it if he gets a whiff of it out of the fridge. She'll give him a piece of watermelon and he licks it, plays with it for hours. She said she has a picture of him after enjoying, and his lips are all dyed pink! Do your cats have such fetishes? Since my cats aren't in this side of the house, they don't know WHAT we eat. When we eat snacks in their apartment, only Tarzan is interested. He'll come right over, plop is feet on your lap, stretch his neck and attempt to bite whatever it is we're munching on.

As to feet: I never clip my cats' nails. I think I don't have to because, since they get to go out to the fenced yard, they can scratch on the tree and do their own manicures. They never scratch on anything inside except their carpeted cat trees. I also notice Tarzan BITING his nails! He snips them off with his teeth as part of his grooming routine. Do your cats bite their toenails? Daisy bit her own toenails when she was a little girl! Don't we allwish we had that kind of flexibilty? Ah, as they say, youth is wasted on the young.

I think I posted the picture above before, but it's one of my favorites! They are such buddies! But it's always Tarzan who is on top or has his arms around Catfish. It's so CUTE!

posted by Sandy at 7/17/2007 03:11:00 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Daisylouu said...

Just make it clear to dragon that the reason I could get my foot in my mouth was because I did a lot of gymnastics and could bend in ways that would make Mr. Salty jealous.

I clip my cats nails, gave up biting them (unles Dragon wants me to bite). My mean nasty cat, Tiger, is the easiest and sits like a little lady to let me do the deed. My oldest and sweetest cat, Sassy, becomes a crazed wild woman when I get near her putty-tat-toes. And my middle girl, Lily, is worst of all gouging my skin after one clip.

My one dog, Bennie, runs when he hears the drawer open that holds the scissors he gets when he needs a butt-trimming. (Don't worry, Dragon, I won't pack those scissors on my trip to TN - they won't make it through security)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:35:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

whoowhoo, another hot topic starting here Daisy. I bet Dragon would much rather you lick the nails than bite them,heh heh.
My girls all three hate it when I clip thier nails and although I am very careful they act like they are being tortured.
Sandy, Brittany is my nail biter, she bites hers a lot. I have seen Courtney and Penelope bite a time or two but Brittany really bites hers a lot.
What Courtney absolutly hates though is hair ball remedy. Oh my gosh, she thinks that is torture too. Brittany will lick it off my finger and Penelope tries to resist a bit but doesn't run away. When Courtney sees me get the tube she runs away as fast as she can. I always try to catch her first since she runs. I usually try to hide the tube from her and sneak up on her but she is on to me a lot of the time. My sweet Samantha used to love the hair ball stuff and would eat it off my finger any time I wanted to give it to her.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Love Love Love the picture of Tarzan and Catfish!!! Those are two of the most laid back kitties I have ever seen!!! I must see this set-up that you have for the cats Sandy. I have been trying to get a visual of just exactly what a cat apartment is (I could never imagine a house without fur balls or cat litter on the floor!) and I am wondering if you built it especially for the cats or for house guests and then the cats took it over. Either way, I think it is so cool that your kitties have their own space to lounge. And from this picture, they sure do know how to lounge!!!

I clip the girls claws. We call it getting a Pudy-cure! I usually start with Cheetah. I flip them over in my lap onto their backs and start on the back feet then work my way to the front paws. She is good and lets mommy do her thing without much fuss. I think she likes it because her claws grow so quickly that I believe they hurt her. I see her biting on them a lot and that is my sign that it is clipping time. I have never seen cat claws as long as hers before. Now Sheba on the other hand is not so nice to mommy with Pudy-cures. She will let me flip her over and usually get all the back paws then once I get to the front ones it becomes a bit of a struggle but I think it is more of the Queen not wanting to be bothered with me holding her then anything. I have to be persistent and I don’t let her go until I am finished. Like a child, she will test me every time! She loves to flex her muscles and Queen abilities but I always win. One day she will figure that out and not struggle with me. Funny how traumatizing Sheba can act but she is always the first to show up and get that fishy treat after the chore is done!

Skeeter was a pure joy and took his back paw Pudy-Cure like a man! He was declawed on his front and yes I regretted it. Skeeter did not mind Pudy-Cures because he knew that a treat was coming afterwards.

Sandy, I am with you on the Revolution. I did the bit on Saturday and I knew better. I popped the vile and got Sheba when she meowed really loudly, Cheetah took off upstairs and under the bed! I went after her and ran her out from under the bed and downstairs and under our bed. I was smart and closed the door to the rooms this time. (Yep not so smart in the past and another trip back upstairs. Mommy learns…) We spooked her out from under the bed and when the Saint picked her up, you would have thought we were killing that cat! She screamed to the high heavens above for help and Sheba came a running! I put the vile on her head and then she looked at me as if to say, oh that was all you wanted, I thought we were getting hair cuts!

My mom has mentioned to us to set up the cam-corder on the tri-pod so she can see the process of us giving the girls hair cuts. I said, not on your life! The fur flies and we are all a big furry mess by the end. I must change clothes after cat number one is done because I have fur in every crack of my body and it feels itchy to put it nicely….

Daisylouu, if that don’t get the Dragon to talking, nothing will!!! And I will be convinced that Guinevere has him locked up tightly in the dungeon!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I clip the kitties nails. Scootie and Larry are okay but Herbie acts like I am taking off his entire foot! I have to do one foot at a time because by the time I get one done he is hissing and spitting big time. Larry only gets a short trim just so that his tips are not like needles. Since he goes outside, I want him to be able to use his nails like weapons if he needs to. Scootie and herbie get short cuts because they are all over me and I don't like being a pin-cushion.

I see the dogs biting their nails. I should trim them but I am really nervous about it because they are so much thicker than cat nails.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation