The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Sunday, August 12, 2007

From tattered paper dollar to gold Dollar!



Remember how Dollar looked before he was rescued? Scroll down to previous topics about him for a refresher.

Update from Humane Society: When rescued “his back end was matted and he reeked of urine and feces. His collar was too tight, chain was tangled, doghouse had no floor or door, and the last time he was vetted was 2005. He had no shots or vaccines, not even rabies. He had hot, slimy green water to drink in 97 degree temperatures. Thank goodness he wasn’t heartworm positive—a real miracle.

“Look at the new shiny Dollar today after a good grooming and some loving attention. The Humane Society sends a special thank you to Clarksville Humane Society volunteers Brand, for transporting Dollar to the vet, and Steve, for driving him all the way to Cookeville, Tenn. where Dollar met up with his foster mom! A special thank you to all of you who sent donations to help pay for Dollar's expenses. And, to those who kept him in your thoughts and prayers... they worked!!!!

“Dollar's foster mom drove him to her home in Knoxville. He is getting along wonderfully with the other dogs and charms every human he meets. His foster mom says he is so much nicer to people than they've been to him. But all of that is in his past... I think he knows it. Have you ever seen a dog smile so big???

“Dollar is available for adoption through Good Dog Rescue."

Just remember, there are so many Dollars out there, so keep up the good work in doing whatever it is you can to help them find a better life.

Notes: Friday I brought Scooter in to the newsroom to have a photo taken with me for my new blog photo. I've always hated the picture of me used on the blog and with the column in the paper and thought a pet should be included. I brought him because he is light-colored and photographs the best and also because he's the best in public--good on a leash, obedient, etc. Yes, believe it or not! His private training was worth every penny! So if the photo came out decent, you'll be seeing it soon! He was so good visiting everyone--a real gentleman. Maybe too good--no one will believe me when I talk about how he's my cross to bear sometimes!

For those of you who don't know, I'm a big lover of alliteration (repetition of an initial sound, usually a consonant or cluster in two or more words of a phrase, like "Pet People prefer partying!")

I got this love years ago as a child when I used to watch Lost in Space every day after school in 7th grade. I kept a notebook of all the names Dr. Smith called the Robot, like "you babbling bucket of bolts."

WELL. Brett had a collection of VCR tapes of Lost in Space and he gave them to me, about 10 or 12 in all. Thank you Brett! Yesterday I watched about 5 of them and guess what I'm doing? Yes, keeping a list of the names Dr. Smith called the Robot! Here is the best I found so far: "You pusillanimous puppet!" I had to look it up in the dictionary, so for those interested, you'll have to do the same to find out what it means if you don't already know.

William Safire is a lover of alliteration as well. He came up with a classic from the Nixon era: Nattering nabobs of negativism. Gotta love it!

posted by Sandy at 8/12/2007 02:51:00 PM

17 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

He sure does look like a shiny Gold Dollar coin!
I am sure he will have a wonderful “Forever” new home in no time at all.

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Glad to see that Dollar is so much happier!

Sandy, we are defiantly 2 of a kind. I have a love of words. When I ran my daycare, I used to have a word of the day board where I would put up a new word everyday along with its definition and a sentence using the word. The kids loved it and would all want to know what the word of the day was. On the occasion I would forget, they would all let me know about it. To date my favorite word is “Curmudgeon – A grumpy old person”

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Sandy, How wonderful Dollar looks and I'm so happy he will now get a great forever home But-- I still want to cry when I think how this precious boy lived before! It was terrible! Thank God for Dollar's foster Mom and all who got him to her!

On the word thing, I too am a fan of alliteration! It's just fun! You may ahve novticed that in some of the previous things I've written.

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

P.S. I am very pusillanimous when it comes to snakes!!!!!!!!!

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Sandy, your new pic is on the main blog page, but not on this one!! Tell them to get that fixed. Scooter looks GREAT! I swear he is smiling. As if he knows he is the STAR, not mom.

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

So we can call you a psullanimous pussy when it comes to snakes? LOL

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Wonderful! WOnderful! Wonderful! (that's what Lawrence Welk used to day)the the Lucky Dollar is "puttin on the dog!" He looks BEAUTIFUL and God Bless everyone that helped him to his new home and provided for his vet and make over.
Oh SAndy I have another tape that was deeper in the box--I bought it at a Scit Fi convention along time ago--Its the aired pilot and the unseen pilot of Lost in Space.S soon as I dig it out, it's yours.

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As a former college instructor of public speaking, alliteration and repetition is a fantastic means of grabbing the attention and highlighting main ideas. Plus, it's just fun.

Alliterate all! Repetition rules!

Yanno... that irritation HeadOn commercial uses that technique very well. Everyone remembers it because it is short and oh-so annoying!

Dollar looks fabulous!

Sandy! Love the new picture!!

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Sandy, how vain thou art. I have noticed that your picture on the blog page has changed. I do recall a rather confrontational incident recently where many panties got into wads and where accusations were thrown about pictures and not posting them until the subject in the picture gave the seal of approval. My question to you now is this: Did you seek and receive Scooter’s permission to have his picture published?? I’m not trying to stir up anything here, since the last incident over pictures got nasty. But what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I hope that I don’t have to involve the President of S.A.F.E. (Save Animals From Embarrassment) to protect the rights of said young Scooter. He probably needs someone with a clear head looking out for him. There should be some monetary compensation or some type of royalties that Scooter should receive, since he is now the face of the Pet People blog. But, who, I say who, will protect him from unscrupulous types wanting to take advantage of him?? Perhaps the President of S.A.F.E. would be a good neutral third party that could represent Scooter in these financial matters. Perhaps the President of S.A.F.E. can become Scooter’s conservator. Of course, due to the work that this would entail, the President of S.A.F.E. would require a small monetary compensation for this representation, say a flat rate of around $90,000 a year. Only to protect poor little Scooter from unscrupulous types, of course. Feel free at any time, within the next 24 hours, to fax or email me a copy of Scooter’s contract. That way, I can begin work immediately. Or should I say, the President of S.A.F.E. can begin work immediately. Feel free at any time, within the next 48 hours, to mail me the first monthly installment check for Scooter’s representation.

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:47:00 PM  
Blogger Daisylouu said...

WARNING! WARNING! WILL ROBINSON!!As your much younger sister, I still remember keeping that notebook and distinctly remember my favorite being Dr. Smith calling the Robot "No-good Nimbling Ninny"

I think we need to start a book of names we can call these people who neglect and mistreat animals! Dollar looks awesome!

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Scooter was not embarrased. If you look closely, you'll see I'm the one wearing a dog collar. He enjoyed his visit to the newsroom and meeting everyone. I let him hang out where I work so he could get my scent and understand where I am when I'm not at home. He was very proud of his picture. The photographer took about 10, and he looked good in all of them. However, I had to choose the best of the worst in my case.

You may represent Scooter. I will pack his belongings this weekend and have him at your house at 7 am sharp. Just remember he likes to be the boss.

Sis, love the Dr. Smith phrase! I don't remember that one!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Sandy,When it comes to snakes, yes you may call me PPP!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:23:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

That is too funny Dragon! You better be careful or you may be owning a new dog to keep King Feline Evil Devil Demon, (or whatever you call him) company!

I say "Warning Will Robinson" a lot around the house. I hated Doctor Smith when I was young and watched the show, but in my later years, I learned to understand more and loved his humor! In my book, he made the show a success. Well, him and the hunk of a dad! I remember the Nimbling Ninny comment….

Pam, I thought of you today when I saw a rubber snake in the store!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Sandy, Geeez, you give me such joy when you respond to my comments. It reminds me of the times when I worked security at the rock concerts and tried to talk logically to all the stoned people. But, at least they would realize that they weren’t operating on full mental capacities. You on the other hand, seem to really believe that you make sense.

Sandy, we’ll do this real slow and real simple so you can keep up.

I never said you embarrassed Scooter.

I never said I wanted custody of Scooter.

I just want to be sure his rights are protected. Without Scooter, all your other varmints would run amuck. But, thanks for your consent to allow me to represent Scooter. I eagerly anticipate the monthly installments.

To all my wenches, I am happy to announce that Sandy has agreed to my terms for representing Scooter. Since I will be handling such large sums of money, as Sandy has agreed to pay me $90,000 a year, I will need an Executive Assistant. Please consider this my official job posting for this position. Before I tell you what the job duties entail, I would like each of you to post your best qualifications for handling my needs. The starting salary will be $30,000 a year ($2500 a month), based on Sandy’s regular payment for Scooter’s representation.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:57:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

You only get paid if you have Scooter in your custody. Then you'd really need an assistant to take care of HIS needs, which would and should always come before your own. :)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:28:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

OK. Send the MONEY, and the dog.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Dragon, Anyone willing to assist you in this endevor is well worth more than $30K! As an assistant in my current position I can atest to this fact. The assistant is the one who realy does all the work therefor is worth at least $60K. I would be willing to assist you and relocate for that.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation