The Leaf Chronicle - - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Thursday, August 09, 2007

A Plane ride, a convertible, and meeting the In-Laws, ALL WITHOUT A NET

A Plane ride, a convertible, and meeting the In-Laws, ALL WITHOUT A NET

As most of you know, Jeremy and I recently made a pilgrimage to his hometown of Grand Forks, North Dakota to introduce me to his folks and to show me all of the stomping grounds of his youth. Since we’ve returned, I really haven’t had a chance to relay the experience to my pet clan friends, so now I’m going to give you “the rest... of the story!”

First off-I was distraught over two things: flying in a plane and leaving my babies behind for seven LONG days. The flying part will get its own paragraph later.

Jeremy had made the arrangement for the flight and for boarding Lucy, Charlie and Pearl with our vet, Dr. Ramey, at All Gods Creatures. We had boarded them only once over night, and they were WELL taken care of, but my babes are SPOILED deeply, and any change in their schedule usually brings on the whines and cries that tear my heart out. Now as most of you know, we had recently adopted Hines, but we had been lucky enough that his foster Moms’ kept him for us so that the little guy could stay in an comfortable environ he was used to, and wouldn’t have any abandonment issues. So on Wednesday the 18th of July, we drove the babies over to the vet’s office to drop them off. As soon as Lucy and Charlie were put in the stall where they were to stay, they both began to cry. Lucy salivates horribly when she gets upset or nervous, so she was as mall running river as she pawed at the bars of her confinement. Little Charlie looked at me so pitiful, like he was going to cry. But it was TOO LATE; I had beaten him to it and was already bawling. On the other hand, Pearl took it like a trooper and was busy fitting on her Crown to rule the roost of loyal and new subjects in her little kingdom. It took everything I had to leave those fuzzy little hurt faces, and I squalled all the way home, feeling as if I had just doomed them to some cruel fate (Drama Queen).

So after this chore was finished, we quickly snatched up our bags and took off for the Nashville Airport to catch our flight. I had an hour and a half until I boarded the plane—just enough time for me to drive my nerves to the point of nausea and headache. When we finally got on board, I was playing that cool card, acting like this was the most natural thing in the world and that their were NO possibility that this tin can with wings could turn us into two grease stains on the ground. And so I was able to keep my composure, UNTIL WE STARTED TO MOVE!

Now I handled the take off pretty well, I only left one really deep mark in Jeremy’s knee. First the place came off the ground-no problem. It got higher-no problem. Then the tip of the wing outside my window began to flop up and down –PROBLEM!!!! Evidently, they were having trouble climbing due to turbulence, cuz the seat kept dropping from under me ever so slightly. The whole trip was like riding in a buckboard. And every time the captain came on the intercom to tell us that everything was fine except for the turbulence, he sounded like he was talking to us on a walkie-talkie from three states away!

We had brought our little DVD player and were trying to watch “The Golden Girls” to keep my mind in place. I’m sure you’ve all seen those little trays that you pull down in a plane. Well, I had the DVD sitting on mine. While we were trying to watch it, it would vibrate to the right across the tabletop and I would pull it back over to the left. Every few seconds it would make its way back over to the edge. I couldn’t figure out if I was watching TV or using a typewriter.

Then came the dark moment when I realized I couldn’t hold it till we got to Minnesota. That bathroom on the plane gave whole to meaning to “coming out of the closet”. I’ve done a lot of things in closets (HAHA), but I never peed in one. And the freaking thing was RIGHT OVER the engine — it’s so noisy that you have to really concentrate to take a leak! Using an airplane lavatory is just too much damn work.

SO I get back to my seat and start watching my DVD again, and I keep feeling this hot air on the back of my neck. The guy behind us had his head wedged between the seats and was watching right along with us. But before I could cut loose on him, we were told to put away all electronic gear and prepare to land. So he sat back in his seat and I held my tongue.

FINALLY we got off that shaking rattletrap found out luggage and picked up out rental car. It was a convertible, and Jeremy was so tickled with it. But evidently Mother Nature wasn’t as pleased, because it began to POUR rain as soon as we pulled out of the airport parking garage. We had to drive five hours to Fargo, North Dakota, where Jeremy’s sister, Jessica, lives. We stayed the first night there in Fargo and started for Grand Forks the next day, which was about another hour way. We had a room there in a hotel not far from the Ferencik homestead.

My first trip to the house Jeremy grew up in went extremely well. His mom, Pat, and dad, Jerry, did everything in their power to make me feel welcome and make sure I was comfortable and at home. I also got to meet their little fuzzies, Max and Abby Rose.

Max, the larger of the two, reminded me so much of my own Charlie. Abby is even smaller than our newbie, Hines, but with the same spastic personality. I loved being there with them, even though it made me homesick for my own fuzzies.

Over the next few days, they took us to Devils Lake to a big casino on an Indian reservation, to a bar to play BINGO, the street fair in Grand Forks, and other little spots. At the Casino, my mother in law won $2500, of which she gave us all $100 a piece. Now in my family, THAT’S LOVE!!! Honestly, I was touched that she included me in the camaraderie. She told me if I was going to be part of the family, I might as well share in the good as well as the bad. The bad was posing for pictures outside the casino.

I think I gained 20 pounds over the seven days, because they fed us like we were going off to war! When time came to get back on the next plane, I had trouble fitting in the seat!

So we flew back to Nashville, on a smoother flight, and landed safe and sound. I told Jeremy several times on those last days of vacation, that I didn’t mean any harm, but I would be so glad to get back to my beloved Dixieland. As we got off the plane, the DRUG DOGS greeted us. Have you ever thought of your life as one silly, long, Ziggy cartoon? That thought occurred to me as the drug dogs gave us a sniff. I think it was just security, but I mean, come on; we just got back from Minneapolis, not COLUMBIA! We got back home around 11 pm and flopped out on the bed to sleep. We had slept well on vacation partially due to our alcohol consumption. But we were both awake most of the first night home, cuz we don’t sleep without babies (or liquid help-lol).

Jeremy and I were up and dressed at 7:30, as the vet opened at 8 o’clock and we were not going to have another day without the babies. We got there just as they were unlocking the door, and were greeted with slobbery kisses and “hugs” from my Charlie and Lucy. Pearl sort of acted like she didn’t want to leave, but she came anyway. When we got home, we made arrangements for Hines to be delivered before noon, so that by 10 am, all my babies were home with us, safe and sound.

So ended the epic voyage to the great white North, and my joyous return to the soil of Dixie land. God Bless the South! And I thank God and will be forever grateful that my all of my babies were kept safe and sound, and that we were not made into strange shaped grease spots that had fallen out of the sky. Vacations are nice, but it’s damn good to be home.

posted by B at 8/09/2007 07:29:00 PM


Blogger dragon said...

B, Label them Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter3, Chapter4, Chapter5...........

That's how they do novels you know.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I told him he did need to publish a novel. He wouldn't listen when I told him to summarize the adventure of his trip to North Dakota.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Sorry, I told him he didn't need to publish a novel.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

excuse the blazes out of me--it was a seven day excursion ya know!

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:15:00 PM  
Blogger Guinevere said...

Ahhh, B. Now Dragon has done his duty. He got a rise out of you. Haven't you figured out yet that is his mission in life here in Blog-land?? He picks, he pokes, he stirs the pot.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Dragon, What better thing to do then read a Novel while staying cool in the AC with all this horrible heat???
Hey Brett, I don’t know how to keep it simple either! Loved the novel....

Friday, August 10, 2007 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

What a great, vivid narrative. I felt almost like I was along for the ride and I can identify with all of your worries, especially about leaving your babies. The Boss and I haven't taken a vacation together since 2001 when we had a friend's daughter who stayed here and house and pet sat for us.

Since then, when I've gone back to the good ol' north to visit family in PA, The Boss stayed home with the kids. I still missed them terribly, as it feels really strange sleeping ALONE.

Glad meeting the in-laws went well, but who couldnt love you Brett--you are so funny and warm and witty too!

Friday, August 10, 2007 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Oh Brett, I meant to say. You had the same problem Skeeter did when she first posted a topic. You have to put an extra space in between paragraphs or it will come out as one long paragraph, so I fixed it up for you! As the "Blog Police" as Stacey would call me, I can do that. :)

Friday, August 10, 2007 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger pearcehart said...

Dragon, go soak your snout... I loved it B & Jeremy! As Sandy said, it was like being there almost.

It's nice to peek into someone's life and see what it's like. The Perofessor hasn't seen his parents or brothers in years and my parents have passed. My brother and sister live in California and I just can't make the trip back there anymore. There is no chance that they will ever visit here.

So, reading about everyone's families is nice for me. Thanks to all for sharing!

Friday, August 10, 2007 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Thank you Sandy for doctoring up my mistakes. And thank you all for your kind comments--it's nice to know I can use my college degree for something!

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I LOVE that Alice--"soak your snout" Ha ha ha.:)

I will add one word: soak your snooty snout!

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Me too Brett, on loving your story. I have a story like that I will share sometime down the road too.
And we all know why Dragon said what he did, he is trying to get a big brouhaha started since he didn't get to hear a real cat fight like he wanted. You know he loves it when there is something to fuss and fight about. He can't handle it when things are calm for very long. I guess we could all gang up on him as he even likes that too. We could start with Allice and Sandy on his "snooty snout" then get down and dirty.

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Pam, big Mistake! You mentioned Cat Fights and getting Down and Dirty in the same paragraph! We will have to throw water on the ole boy with those comments!

I just read on the “Breaking News” where a woman was found dead in a trailer. Went on to say she had 30-35 dogs living with her! They suspect she has been dead for several days. How sad and tragic. Hope the doggies are okay…. I will be anxious to read the story in tomorrow’s paper….

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

B, I forgot to ask... What kind of dogs are Max and Abby Rose? I think I see poodle but not sure....

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Skeeter, that poor woman and those poor dogs. Obviouly in her poor demented mind she thought she was helping them, God bless her and God bless those sweet dogs. I pray they all get loving homes now!

On a lighter note, I bet Dragon would just love to see a nice Jello wrestling match with some wrenches in thongs. I say Jello cause it's not only cleaner but better tasting, not that I owuld really know of course.

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:42:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Brett, I love this! I can see you freaking out on the plane. The Foreman isn't a fan of flying either. I on the other hand love it!! My favorite part is take off. Getting sucked back into your seat with all the raw power under you and the roar of the engines. Turbulance just adds to the affect and the rush. I especially love when they have to turn as they take off. The best take off is out of Reagan National, There are high rises near the run way that they have to clear, so the assent is super steep and super fast. And think I hate roller coasters.

I told you the best way to deal with in laws was to be intoxicated. It worked didn't it?! Everything seems wonderful through beer goggles! HA HA!

Glad you had a good time and made it home safe.

Friday, August 10, 2007 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

The "poor" woman was a backyard breeder who Animal Control said had 85 dogs at one time. Sorry, I feel sorry only for the dogs. Their being fed or "healthy" or given vaccines or having dog houses in their outdoor pens does not make me feel any better, becuase a professional breeder working all alone would never have 85 dogs. Those types do it for money, not love of a breed.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Sandy, I said "poor woman" before I knew she was breeding them. When I first heard it, itsounded like she was just rescuing the dogs so they wouldn't be homeless. I thought she was trying to help them then I read the actual story in the paper this morning. I no longer say poor woman just poor dogs. I sure hope they all get adopted and to loving homes, I don't understand why they had to put those babies to sleep though, Geta and Suzanne raise teeny tiny baby kittens on bottles,some haven't even opened thier eyes yet, why couldn't they have done that?

Saturday, August 11, 2007 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Daisylouu said...

Glad you had a safe trip.....but c'mon, North soil isn't that bad, is it???

I feel sorry for the woman. She's older and probably did love those dogs.

I love the way people are blaming Animal Control on Story Chat.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:48:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Jello Spat...hummmm..

I don’t like to fly but not due to the flying itself. I hate the hurry up and wait aspect of things. Plus the stress of wondering which idiot I will be sitting next to! One time I was next to a man and woman that talked about everything in a magazine. They tried to pull me into a conversation about brushing your tongue with a toothbrush! I about died and every time they looked my way, I closed my eyes as if I were sleeping. And I also love the idiots that want to bring their entire household on the plane with them!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

I forgot to touch on the lady dying. I do not wish anyone dying like that! I think it is really sad and hope she did not suffer. The article said that the dogs were in good condition so I think as Daisylouu that she did love those dogs or they would not be in such good shape. I don’t condone backyard breeding by any means; just think that woman should not have died like that. I don’t understand why the pups had to be put down though... The mother should have been one of the dogs around them. Why not take the time to observe the dogs instead of grabbing them up and killing the pups. Maybe there is more to the story then was reported...

Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I know I sound cold hearted, but I am SO against dog breeding UNLESS someone is professional about it, who understands the genetics of the breed, who doesn't breed females too often, who interviews carefully the family they sell to, the whole nine yards. I will never understand how anyone can think breeding so many and having 85 dogs cared for by one person is "loving" them and then giving the rejects away to rescue because they can't sell them.

Sorry, but a lot of those people might "love" their dogs in their own fashion, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or feel sorry for them.

And many people who breed in a such a way--and I'm not saying that woman was one of them, are doing it solely for the MONEY. That's why they have so many. The more dogs the more puppies the more money.

And a lot of people on Story Chat are fools. You should't even waste your time trying to talk to them.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Brett tells me...
"Max is Bichon Frise and Abby is a Bichon and I think a Maltese, they call her a Zuchon!"

I recall hearing the name Bichon Frise the first time. Was while watching one of the Dog shows on TV. The little guy that won over my heart, won Best of show that year also! I think the name is really neat…

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.

ADVERTISEMENT Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation