The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Plush or Not??? by Skeeter



Dragon was recently talking about his little buddy Smokey. Smokey can get away with such things as tucking himself into dancing girl’s thongs and schmoozing with the Hooters girls amongst other wild rides! If not for Farland, I would think that Dragon has gone over the deep end. Well, he might have gone over the deep end, but my Big Daddy will be there to keep him company!

Farland is a Plush (don’t tell daddy) Plump Pig that belongs to my dad. Farland has such great adventures! Smokey and Farland must meet one day. They were to have that first meeting at the VFW this past Friday night but once finding out that catfish was not on the menu, dad backed out on the meeting. Farland and his trusty friend Spider were waiting for me at my purse with keys in hand but without their chaperone to keep them out of trouble, I was not going to take them with me. I would not be responsible for any trouble those two caused while in my care!

Farland has been to places some only dream about. He has been to Las Vegas, Texas, Georgia, Louisiana and many other States. He has even been to Germany twice to see me! That pig tagged along with visits all over Europe! He has wandered the halls of castles and he loves to climb on the cannons at Ft. Donaldson! So he and Dragon, ops, I mean Smokey have lots to talk about some day.

Farland was recently in Gatlinburg where just as Smokey, he had to get on top of the car for a top side cruise while looking for bears! He has a girlfriend and her name is Barbara Bear. She went with them to Gatlinburg to keep Farland and Spider out of trouble and away from other bears. She is a bit of a jealous bear! Farland does indeed get into trouble. I saw him get thrown out of a bar in Gatlinburg during the Tennessee-Alabama game last October!

Farland has a wardrobe of goodies that I will share from time to time. He has a bathing suit for his beach and pool trips. He has pajamas for overnight stays. He has German clothes for Oktoberfest fun, he sports a Santa hat at Christmas and of course his favorite is his Vol Game Day garb which he refuses to take off after football season!

Farland started out as a simple gift from a family member but somehow that pig has taken a life of his own! Some may say that Farland is only a Plush animal but I know that he has a place in our family and would be missed if not at a Family event! From weddings to graduations, he has been there for them all…

Maybe Dragon and Big Daddy explore their worlds through their Alter Ego’s of Smokey and Farland! Is that such a bad thing??? Na, I dont think so. Farland has put many smiles on strangers faces!

Anyone else here have a special stuffed animal--from childhood or even today? For most of us, they were our first pet!

posted by Skeeter at 8/29/2007 12:42:00 PM

21 Comments:

Blogger Kitten said...

Ahh, Farland, what a desirable and wonderful pet you must be. Just think - no barking, no clawing, no litter box cleaning, no walks, no food scatters, etc.

But, Spider - what kind of a companion is he??? Wonder if his squeek ever gets the attention of a sometimes unruly owner??????

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

My first pet was a stuffed doggy named Taffy. I carried that little dog everywhere and wore him out. How I wish I still had it.

Pain in the butt Scooter chewed up my Raggedy Ann doll, circa 1963, when he first arrived here. I salvaged the original dress, and The Boss got me a new Raggedy, but it's not MINE. Sniff.

Next time you come Skeeter, we'll have to get Farland and Smokey together. THAT will make for some fun pictures.

Love the stories of his adventures--and I thought Dragon was the only crazy one. :)

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I am not sure about that Spider either, Kitten! I don't like spiders. I'll take a snake over a spider any day!

Now they make stuffed pets (like dolls) that can walk and yap and do more than sit there!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Kitten,
Funny you should mention the squeak of Spider. He indeed has a squeak about him when squeezed too hard! And yes, it does get annoying when the squeak happens at the pivotal moments in time! With Big Daddy’s first trip to visit me when I lived in Germany, Farland and Spider had to stay home in TN. Well, unbeknownst to dad, mom sneaks them into the carry-on bag. As we cruised down the Autobahn from the air port, Spider let out a squeak in the back seat, compliments of me and dad got so excited! His entire mood changed from that moment on as if his best buddy was accompanying him on his European Adventures! He just died laughing… Was too funny….. Yep, I have a crazy Big Daddy but everybody loves him!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

I must have been a neglected child. I don't remember having a stuffed animal. Maybe that is why I am so crazy about animals now? Instead I had that ugly old lady doll-Mrs Beasley-anyone remember what show that was from? I don't remember the name of it but the little girls name was Buffy and they had a butler...Buffy had a Mrs Beasely doll and she was all the rage back then. I think I colord on her face with a black permanent marker. After that I threw her away because she scared me when I looked at her in the dark. If only I had a teddy bear maybe I wouldn't have been scarred for life by the scary Mrs Beasely....

Friday, August 31, 2007 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I know that show! I think it was called Family Affair? I remember Ms. Beasley....I agree, scarey. That poor little girl who played Buffy killed herself when she was 18. I used to watch that show as a kid! I love all the old classics, but they don't show enough of them on Nick at Nite!

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

I loved "Family Affair" with Uncle Bill, Buffy, Jody, Sissy and Mr. French! Oh my gosh, I remember them all and it has been eons since I saw that show! I have been dealing with a sinus attack since returning from TN so I have been spending a lot of time in the sun room with my girls playing cat. You know, lying around doing nothing! Anyway, I was surfing the TV and ended up on TV-Land this morning. I really went down memory lane with my childhood... It was nice to watch some wholesome shows this time and day and they still made me laugh....

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

Hey,
Ya'll are good. I was racking my brain trying to remember their names. I loved the red headed kid Jody. I think he went on the play in more movies and tv but your right Sandy, I remember when Buffy commited suicide..very sad. I love watching the old shows. My favorite is still Andy Griffith. Barney and opie still make me laugh too.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Well ya'all, My very first stuffed animal was a Teddy Bear and the second that I remember was a very fluffy white kitty. The bear had the best smell to him, it was something about the plastic on his face and not like any other I've ever smelled, weird I know but true, The kitty looked very real to me and I loved it.
That show "Family Affair", loved it, and I kind of had a crush on Uncle Bill,ha.
I too love Andy Griffin and my other favorite is The Dick Van Dick Show! Ohn how I wanted to be like Laura Petrie!!!!!!!!!!!! Another favorite of coourse ws The I Love Lucy show. Her others were ok but I Love Lucky with her and Desi were the absolute best ones!Man they just don't make em like they used to do they guys?

Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:58:00 AM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

Pam,
I had forgotten about the Dick Van Dyke show and I love Lucy. Those were also 2 of my faves. Both of them were hysterical. I always thought Dick was a hottie when I was little and loved him in Mary Poppins also. Yep...those were the good ole days when tv had real talent.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Bewitched was one of my favs, because who doesn't wish they could just wiggle their nose and make things happen!

I also liked Leave it to Beaver, though that was from a generation before--so I love the to watch the reruns. Same with the Honeymooners.Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffin were all a bit before my time, so thank goodness for all the reruns.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Not to make you all feel old or anthing, But I liked to watch a lot of those same shows growing as well, I just had to watch them on Nick at night or on Saturday afternoons. Sandy, I too loved Bewitched, I liked it better with the first Darren. Fantasy Island was another favorite... DA PLANE, DA PLANE. HA!

Monday, September 03, 2007 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I had a Ms. Beasley --got her when I was like four--drug her around by the hair of the head everyw here I went. She was just as tall as I was (maybe a little shorter)andshe is in every family picture we took back then for about a year and a half. I still have her--shes wrapped very carefully in an old blanket of mine and stored in my Mom's cedar chest--on Ebay, they are worth a chunnk of change-depending on the shape they are in. You know my Mom is regretting buying me that doll now-don't ya?LOL

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Brett, you are a hoot... LOL
Sell the thing and get a hot tub for Dragon and Daisylouu....

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

B rett, aaaawww, how sweet.O'Malley, yes those were the good old shows for sure! Now good old days I can't agree too because i AM SO HOOKED ON tivo! iT'S JUST THE sH$$!
Adrienne, you brought up more faves for us all. Beaver was another. I wish they would just do some new shows only set them in the 50's and 60's and let us watch some good stuff for a change.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:36:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Being a bit sick last week allowed me to lie down and watch a lot of TV. I Love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, The Monsters, Andy Griffith, the Golden Girls and Sanford & Son to name a few. Was nice to see those again.... The Monsters was so silly it makes you laugh. I still am not too crazy about The Adams Family though....

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Skeeter, do you mean The Munsters?

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:17:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Yep, I do...
See I make typos too....

Thursday, September 06, 2007 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I loved the Adams Family cause it was different and the love affair betwen Mortisha and Gomez was sweet. They were a loving family including the butlet Lurch. "You Rang?"

Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:09:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

kay Skeeter, guess we must have built a outhouse in the back yard and maybe Lurch the butlet likes it,hee,hee.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

What kind of animal was cousin It??? He and thing were my favorites....

Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation