The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Grooming habits: The good, the bad, the ugly!



First, official Pet People logo we'll be using for our table at the dance and in Humane Society promotions for the Halloween Bash coming up Oct.20. Maybe one day we can make T-shirts, mugs and hats with the logo to sell and donate proceeds to shelters!

Topic for today: Grooming

Amy sent me this picture of her dogs having an ear-grooming session.

She says: "Have you ever witnessed your pets "grooming" each other so intensely, so
thoroughly that you almost feel like you're doing something wrong by watching them? It's kind of like being caught watching someone pick their nose. They are the ones picking their nose, yet YOU feel guilty for witnessing it! My 10 year old German Shepherd Nikki is alpha in our house over the 2 boys. She will demand grooming from Jake by raising her lip at him & shoving the side of her head into his face. He always happily participates as you can see here with his nose so far in her ear you can't even see it. Sometimes he does such a great job that her eyes start to roll
in the back of her head. Jake also grooms Charlie. Except lower. Much lower. My husband gets pretty grossed out by this. I just tell him he's jealous, which he appreciates even less. Seriously though dogs... get a room!"

Hardee Har Har!!!! Oh my God! I'm dying here over Amy's descriptive narrative. The look on Nikki's face is almost to the eye-rolling stage. And as far as the "lower" grooming and Mark's reaction--what a hoot!

My dogs do not groom each other. They lick themselves and that's gross enough for me. They sniff butt on occasion, but that's about it. The cats are another story. Tarzan makes Catfish lick his head all the time and Catfish loves to do it. He also loves to lick my face and hair. Tarzan will lick Catfish too. They seem to only lick each other around the head and face. They are not X-rated like Amy's dogs! And the ear thing is really gross! YUK. Catfish is a big butt sniffer, something Tarzan never does. I guess he ain't a brown noser!

Currently, I am working on Peanut's ears, as he has a spell of redness and discharge, so it's time for what I call his "ear candy." He doesn't like the fact that I have to sqeeze a bunch of it in his ears, then dry them clean, but they are looking much better after only a few days. He is so pitiful when I come at him with the bottle. He squats and squirms and finds a corner to hide his face in, the poor baby!

So what grooming situations are going on at your house?

posted by Sandy at 9/16/2007 01:44:00 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

Love the Official Logo! Your hard works paid off Sandy and I am glad I protested the human headed cat and dog! LOL...

The girls do the head licking bit. One will approach the other and take a few licks then bow their head for a licking in return. They will do that for a few times then end up in a wrestling match 9 times out of ten! Sheba is sneaky and usually gets more licks on her head then Cheetah gets. She is the queen and I guess she thinks she deserves more licks... Remember that commercial with the Owl and the tootsie roll pop? How many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie roll pop? We say that when the girls do that licking on the head bit. But we say how many licks does it take to get the pussy cats to wrestle....

We went to the zoo today in South Carolina. We had so much fun! The Saint fed some birds from a cup of liquid. At one point, he had one on his head, one of each shoulder and two on his hands! The one on his shoulder was so mad that he did not get his head in the cup of sweet juice that he pooped on the Saints shoulder! He had to walk around all day long with Bird crap on his shirt!

We saw a Lion poop! That made the crowd chuckle but not as much as us all seeing the Giant Tortoise humping the female Giant tortoise! He was groaning and moaning and it was hilarious! The kids were asking mommy and daddy what the turtles were doing. The parents were snickering and coming up with all kinds of lies to tell the kids! I think the funniest thing of all the sightings today was when the Orangutan came running out of no where up to another orangutan and grabbed his weenie and then ran off! I about pi$$ed on myself with laughter with that one! I wish all you Animal Lovers could have been with us today. The weather was perfect and the animals were so happy in their natural habitat surroundings!

Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's great! I love the logo! Well done and thanks Sandy and everyone who collaborated!

On the grooming issue... none of our dogs groom anyone other than themselves. Scootie grooms Herbie and Larry grooms Scootie. No one grroms Herbie because he will eat them. It works for those involved.

It took two of us this morning to clip Herbie's front nails. The professor had to hold Herbie by the scruff of the neck to prevent Herbie from biting my fingers as I clipped the nails. You would have thought I was pulling the nails out of his feet the way he screamed and fussed. Scootie and Larry are no trouble at all. Everyone came to watch and listen as Herbie screamed. ALL the fur children were all lined up watching the show.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Super logo Sandy!!!! Only wish I could have seen it when everyone else did. Saw it today for the first time when Stacey forwarded the final one to me. Still haven't seen the original but Stacey is sending it when she gets time. I still do not understand why you emails aren't getting through to me, this is NUTS! Hopefully The Saint can help us.
On the grooming thing, Brittany and Courtney groomed each other in sisterly love for thier first two years but now they give each other a few licks every so often but nothing like when they were younger. Penelope doesn't get or give grooming except from me, I don't lick her but I do rub my face against her head and she eats that up! She expects that every day. And people, remember it isn't a sexual thing with them, they are just feeling the love from each other. We humans are the ones obsessed with sex not them. After all we are the ones who always have to make it a sex thing. The animals could care less about that except when nature calls them to procreate. Humans just want to have thier fun.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Lucy is the head of the house, and the lead groomer. It amazes me how she will keep Hines so in check, and then before bed, when everyone is calm and playtime is over, she will clean Hines's ears and his little face and such. Almost to the point that his little face is drenched, he just lies there and kindda gets a little dreamy look on his face. Then Lucy will give Charlie a slight "touch up", but he looks at her like "girl, are you nuts?"
BY the way, I went to my 20 year h/s reunion this weekend--it was an absolute wonder. Only problem I had was that I didn't get back in time Sunday to do my decorating duties on the Humane Society party. But I'll have to make it up this weekend.
Hope everybody is doing well. I miss not blogging a lot, but it seems like I'm getting more like Stacey by slipping in some volunteer work here and there and then having non pet related events in my schedule also. But you guys know where to find me if you don't see me alot on the blog. Love you guys!

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation