The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Serenade to The Boss


I probably posted this photo a long time ago, but it's one of my favorites and Zoe's mouth goes along with the topic.

As you may know, I don't get home from work until 1 a.m.--and that's on a good night if nothing goes wrong putting the paper to bed. I have a nice, stress-free ride home, because there are no idiots on the road pulling out in front of me, no one going 5 mph in a 55 zone, no slow-moving tractors that won't pull over a bit to let you by and so on. I just have to keep an eye out for deer.

The Boss, on the other hand, goes to bed early--usually before 9 p.m. because he gets up at 5 a.m. So he's in blissful sleep when I get home. That is, he is until I get home, because my return wakes him up every single night. Not because of noise I make, but because of the dogs--especially Zoe.

Zoe is a whiner. She is always so excited when The Boss or I come into the house, and that goes whether we've been gone 10 minutes or 10 hours. It's a loud, high-pitched, overly-excited yelping whine that really gets on my nerves. I try to calm her the second I come in the door. I drop my purse, lunch box, coffee mug and get down and pet her and try to absorb the whines.

Sometimes it's not too bad, but sometimes the other two mutts join in and will BARK in greeting. Sometimes that is so bad I can hear them as soon as I pull the car into the carport. Last night The Boss was ticked because they were LOUD, and once again, they woke him up. I thought I heard someone yell when I came home, but in all the racket I wasn't sure. This morning he told me it was him yelling from the great beyond, "SHUT UP!"

I don't really know what I can do, or if there is anything I can do stop their exuberant greetings. And thank goodness Zoe is the main offender, because she's Daddy's girl. If Scooter was the big mouth, The Boss would really have fits.

So, any ideas? What do your pets do that REALLY drive you or the spouse crazy? That one quirk or habit that you just can't break? And do you, like me, have to HEAR about it all the time?

posted by Sandy at 9/18/2007 10:17:00 PM

9 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

Now Sandy, by cooing Zoe, aren’t you giving her the attention she is wanting with her whining? I remember you saying that you should never reward bad behavior and this seems to be what you are doing... Straighten me out here....

Our annoying one is the Queen of Sheba! She wakes us up darn near every night around 3:00 by walking all over us and purring her head off! When she came to us from the woods, we turned her into an indoor only cat. She was not happy at all being inside. She was a hunter and longed to be outside and hunt those birds which had provided her meals for so long. She did not purr or show affection to us for probably about 2 years! She finally is happy being a pampered inside cat and we think she shows us her love by waking us up in the middle of the night. We love to hear her purrs because we know she is happy but why does she have to show us all that love at 3 in the morning!!! Dang, I don’t want the Saint to show me love at that hour much less Sheba….

I trained her to stay off the Saints back (she gave him back problems) by removing her and putting her at the foot of the bed. At times I had to be stern and give her a little push of authority and mean tone of voice. It worked and she stays off his back but I cannot make myself do this with her loving on us and purring as I don’t have it in me. I would feel like I am punishing her for being a Love Muffin….

I guess some things such as obnoxious 3 am purring and midnight dog barks all come with the territory of being animal lovers….

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Yep, it's like giving a crying brat a candy bar in the store to shut his pie hole up!

Seriously, if I ignore her, she YELPS even louder, but if I get down on my knees and let her lick my face it's keeps the whining to a low level until she calms down. I need to get a recording of how she sounds, it's truly insane!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Sandy,
At our puppy class we have been working on greeting when someone comes to the house or approches. Our trainer says to keep a leash by the door and when ever someone comes to the door, have them sit while on the leash. Give them small treats to enourage the quiet behavior and don't talk to the dog. When they start to move or bark, stop treating, have the person walk away and correct the behavior. You could try this on a day off at home. Have the Boss help by coming in the door and then switch. It's also helpful if you can have other people come to your house as well. Zoe is smart enough and should pick this up quickly. I'm sure if you tell the Boss that by helping you could improve his sleep, he wouldn't mind helping.

Skeeter is right that you are just encouraging her behavior.

Hunter is getting better at this, but still gets excited. He has to have something in his mouth when he greets you. He squishes up his face and wags his whole body. When he sits, he scoots trying to get close to you. This is better than when he jumped on you. It just takes time, patience and practice. You know all about that.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

That's a good idea and I'll try it. Zoe's 10 years old, but I believe old dogs can learn new tricks. She's just a whiner over everything.Even if Scooter is bossy to Peanut she whines as if she's upset by the whole thing!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you all know, Aimee, dog princess crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning. One the ride to Animal House, she had her head out the window and "flew" the whole way. The professor and I want to thank Animal House and the staff for their compassion and caring. Thanks to Dr. Chaudoin and Dr. Sykes for helping us through this very difficult time.

And thanks to all of you for your prayers and thoughts.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Oh Alice, I'm so sorry! And so soon after you lost Trouble. It never gets easier, does it? I didn't expect it to happen so soon. I could just cry. All this bad news--about poor Josie and now Aimee dog princess. As her for a sign and when you lease expect it,it will come and you'll know she's safe and waiting for you to join her one day!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

Alice,

I'm so sorry. I know how you are going to miss your precious friend. She couldn't have asked for better people to spend her life with. Bless you for being so good to her. I will be thinking of you and hoping you are getting thru this as well as you can. I know its so hard and nothing is going to make it any easier.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Alice, I am sooooo sorry to hear about little Aimee dog Princess! I know this is a difficult time for you and the Professor and your fur babies. Y’all were great parents to Aimee and gave her a wonderful life even though much shorter then we would like. Rest assured she is being a Princess to Trouble and the others which have already crossed that Bridge! I can see her now with that head hanging out the window eating up the fresh air and happy as can be while taking her last breaths on this earth. I will pray for some sense of peace for your family and know you did right by that precious baby….

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:29:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Alice--sweet Alice. I had so believed for the miracle. But I guess God gave it to us in a way I didn't expect. Aimee went to God on full blown wings. Bless you Aimee, dog princess. She's running the streets of gold right now. My thoughts and prayers stay with you Alice.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation