The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Pet Haves....and Have Nots


Do you get those pet-product catalogs in the mail?

I just got one from Drs. Foster and Smith, as I've ordered things from them in the past. I enjoy leafing through it and seeing all the wild things available for pets--strollers, booties, rain coats and the more practical products like beds, bowls and grooming products.

But when I look at all the stuff, I think about how Americans spend BILLIONS annually on their pets--while so many pets have nothing and are chained in yards or are euthanized in shelters. I don't understand why in a country full of pet lovers who spend big bucks on their pets, that more don't help local shelters with donations.

Now, I hate people who tell me I should "take care of people" with my time and money, as they are more important. I get that from religious people most of all. That really ticks me off. They love to elevate themselves as so noble and righteous because they "put people first," and since they created God in their own imagine,they think they are superior spiritually. Now, I'm a believer, but one of the things I belive about God is that "he" has been given human qualities by simple who take religious teachings too literally, which is always a recipe for disaster and does more harm than good. You've got to get past the literal to get to the lesson. Literal is easy; probing for real meaning is harder. Literalism and fundamentalism makes it easier for con artists to control the flock, too, in any religion. Just look around if you don't believe me.

I believe there are many needs in this world and people have different talents and interests, which covers all the bases, and that's a good thing. To each his own,a motto everyone should live by, especially holier-than-thou fake politicians. But I digress.

I also believe people have a right to do with their money what they want to and its no one else's business. But it still can bother me, when millionaires and billionaires get their dogs, say, a real diamond-studded collar worth thousands, when a fraction of that cost could help SO many animals in a local shelter.

But I guess we all do the same thing on a lesser level. Do my pets need all those toys, beds, treats, etc? Why not get the basics and give more to shelters? I think its something we all need to think about, but as I said, everyone has a right to spend their money as they see fit.

I just wonder why there aren't more stars and well-known people who support animals in bigger ways, like building building a shelter or something. I know if I had MILLIONS, that's what I'd do, because I'd still have millions left over, and how many millions do you need, really? But I've also noticed that the richest people in the world are often the tightest--that's how they got rich. Of course, not all of them, but a good portion.

I also wonder why more pet-lovers don't donate more to shelters--even a little, because a little goes a long way. I'm talking about those who can afford it.

So, how do you feel about Americans buying all kinds of crazy things for their pets and spending so much money on STUFF, and at the same time, millions of pets are killed every year in shelters and private shelters hang by a thread for lack of donations? That goes for all kinds of needs in society--people spend lots of money on stupid things.

I guess it's all just the human condition. Any guilt out there?

Picture above is my friend in PA's cat, Tigger, dressed up as Santa for his first Christmas with the family. He looks very pleased, doesn't he, like he just LOVES getting manhandled, dressed in human clothes, and paraded before a camera.

posted by Sandy at 10/17/2007 11:30:00 AM

12 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Good topic as I just received my christmas catalogs for Foster & Smith and Jeffer's Pet. We are all guilty of spoiling our pets and buying frivilous things for them, but honestly that's half the fun. I try to help out animal organizations when I can, by volunteering and making donations. But I alone can only do so much. The fact is that as long as animals are still treated as second class citizens, our help and donations will only do so much.

Animal lovers are considered crazy, stupid people who put to much stock in pets. As long as that mentality exists, we all will be fighting an uphill battle. I'm not saying that any of us should give up the fight, but guilting our selves about what we can not control or stop isn't any better.

It took us 10 years of marriage to get the Foremans family to understand that our pets are more than just animals, they are our children. For years they would not let us visit if we had our dogs with us. They still live with the bad part of southern mentality. When we moved to VA, I put my foot down and said that if they wanted to see us, they would have to deal with the dogs too. They didn't understand that I do not let them get away with bad behavior. I will not EVER board my dogs or use a pet sitter. If they can't go than we go seperatly or we don't go. Now they are welcome as part of the family.

I will not back down from a fight, but I know how to choose my battles.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:27:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Here we go again with dressing up the pets. You call yourselves animal lovers, yet you humiliate these poor, precious pets for your own amusement. Sandy, you have said your pets like to dress up. Well, does that cat look happy?? That cat looks really pi$$ed off. You can see the fire in his eyes. He is ready to rip out the eyes of the first person stupid enough to come into claw range.

STOP! Stop with the torture. Stop with the abuse. Stop with the embarrassment. You are going to make me revive S.A.F.E. again. You don't want that now, do you???

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Dragon,Dragon, Dragon. Why doth thee sayeth "Sandy" in your tirade? That cat is in Pennsylvania and I had nothing to do with dressing it up or taking its picture. I have never dressed up my cats and I've only put hats and stuff on my dogs for a picture, not for socializing. But if people do, so what? Many dogs aren't bothered by a little dress. If they were, they'd bite and scratch at them.

Oh, and dogs and cats don't GET embarrassed. That's why they are so great and that's why they lick themselves in front of the world! They are secure in themselves, unlike people, who get embarrassed and offended and all kinds of other silly things. :)

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

Good Morning ya'll,

I have been so crazy busy lately I just can't seem to get on here. I love the pic of the kitty dressed up. My daughter in Arizona has bought a bumblebee costume for her Rat Terrier and I can't wait to see the picture of him. I guss I am not a big spender for my babies but I don't see anything wrong with it. My boxer Rocky is content to chew up household items like shoes and couches so why buy something fancy? haha.

I am so disappointed that we can't come to the ball. My daughters final middle school softball tournament is that day and then we have a dinner to attend that night. I was trying to find a way to fit everything in but wasn't able to. I want to see lots of pictures and hear all the juicy details tho! You can't get tickets at the door...right?

Dragon, I hate to ask but refresh my memory. What does S.A.F.E. stand for again? I probably know but really need a laugh.

I still have my rescue kitty ya'll. Mr Baby is getting more and more social and it just breaks my heart that I need to find him a home. Let me know if ya'll know of anyone who can love him. He is neutured, declawed, litter box trained and tested neg for feline Leuk. He was evidently kicked around by the former owners kids and is very nervous around kids and loud noises. he is very vocal, purrs and talks quite a bit and loves to get in my lap and rub against my face. Such a sweetie. He is on the Humane Soc web site.

What about your stray Sandy? Have you seen it lately? I am still putting food out for my big black and white kitty from months ago. Its foot seems to have healed and it has gotten less social for some reason. It will not come up for the food at all while we are awake but I have seen it lurking in the darkness.

Well, I have so much to do and not enough hours ( or energy!! haha) to get it done so I better run. Take care evryone!!

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Shannon, the black and white kitty is a girl, named Dolly. I will post about her tomorrow. She is friendly now and I paid to have her spayed and she just came back from the vet. Long story, but the neighbor took her to the vet for me since it was HER adult daughter who brought it over here because she found it on a road somewhere and couldn't keep it where she lives.

I had stray Jane spayed and let her go (Tarzan's buddy when he was a stray)as they wouldn't let us pet her and she did fine, but I worry about Dolly. I have a dog house in our carport and have food out, but she wasn't hungry and went off to her usual place in the woods. So now I will be worried until I see her again, when she is less groggy and ready to eat. Now I worry I should have brought her in somewhere.

I am hoping the Boss will weaken and let her in with the other two eventually. I told Dolly to "go to Daddy" and he didn't say "I'm not her Daddy" and he seemed to like her. She got rabies and testing and worming and the works, so why not sneak her in?

When it gets cold maybe. I just hope she's okay and nothing happens to her since she just had the operation yesterday.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

We don’t spoil our girls! They have the necessities like hiding Cubes/Rounds, Monkey Tree, Bowls, Toys, Wagon and Baskets to hold toys and simple stuff like that. Nothing is bought at expensive stores. We are cheapskates therefore, our girls are too! But we do have much more then I had for my Skeeter. He was deprived I guess but a happy boy!

We use to dress up our family doggie Molly. She loved to be dressed up Dragon… She would prance around in her duds and loved her Jingle Bells at Christmas. She became Jingle Dog and to this day her Bells hang on a rocking chair in my parent’s living room. She has been over the Rainbow Bridge for many years….

When we lived in Germany, we had extra money coming in so we would write a check and send it to the Clarksville Humane Society each month. Since moving back, we lost that extra income so we cannot write our monthly checks. But we do what we can when able like going to the Fur Ball and voting on pets…. If I had a million dollars, I would gladly pass some along to the fur babies and I do play that lottery in hopes of hitting the big one. I know that is probably money I could pass to the shelters but if I should win, they would get much more then $4.00 a week!

O’Malley, I am planning on being at the 9:30 game Saturday morning! I will probably see ya there! We will miss you and U-Should at the Fur Bash. Do tell, would U-Should have dressed up if yall went??? Just wondering if the Saint, Flyboy and Boss are the only scrooges in the bunch…????....

Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:21:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

Skeeter,

Yes, he said he would dress up if I would. Of course the stipulation was that HE got to pick out my costume...hahah. For some reason I don't think he had a nuns habit in mind for me .Oh well, I am very disappointed we can't go...I just wish there was a way to squeeze it all in. I am glad I will get to see you at the game! The first games are tonight and we are going to go and watch. Since our girls were the number one team, we got a buy and will play the winner of tonights first game. So..we are going to go and check out the competition. Be safe driving!!

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

You should all go as the "Honeybees" from Gilligan's Island ---or the Golden Girls---or Laverne and Shirley---or Julie "your cruise director"

Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:12:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

B,
I loved the Honey Bee's....
Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Ernie stunk! Was that the guys name? I think I got this one but not sure...

O'Malley,
I am proud of those girls teamwork and my brothers coaching! Now I hear the game is at 2:30. Think that will work great as now we will be able to help at the Fur Bash Ball Room set-up! I bet U-Should would have picked out something really good for you to wear. The Saint and I saw a really naughty one but don’t think they would have let us in the door if we wore that matching outfit... All I will say is a Plug and an Outlet. Male is the plug and it is strategically located on the costume.... We may be traveling in rain tomorrow (I cant complain, we need the rain) so I will pray for a safe trip over the mountain for us...

See y’all soon!

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Irving dear, his name was Irving--but I give you an a+ for remembering that much!

Friday, October 19, 2007 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Skeeter, I saw that plug and outlet costume, it was so funny! I wonder it that will show up at the Fur Ball? Somehow I doubt it,hee hee.
Sandy, I'm with you on wishing more rich people would give more to the animals. I knwo a lot do as well as a lot of the celebrities but not enough. We give donations to Cats Are Us, The Humane Society and Animal Control and Adoption every month but it isn't nearly enough. I wish we could do more but we do the best we can. Some people may say why even bother to give to the Animal Control and Adoption since they do put animals down but I say, if our small donation helps to keep one animal alive longer to get the chance to be adopted or pay on a vet bill or whatever then it is worth giving to them. My heart just absolutely breaks for homeless animals. and if I allow myself to think about it too long I will grieve beyond normal!
Shannon, congrats on your daughter's teams status! I know you are proud, way to go! Sure do wish you and "You Should" could be there tomorrow night. I know Fly Boy does too. he'd like another Night Stalker there as well. Oh by the way did you guys know we are coming back active duty? Call me and I'll tell ya about it.
Fly Boy is going to be in costume. I just told everyone on the other blog entry before this. It isn't much of a costume and he doesn't know about it yet but he will have it on tomorrow night.

Friday, October 19, 2007 1:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation