The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

This Friday: Tweety Comes Inside!



Yes, the sweet Tweet is coming inside! The Boss really likes her, as she's so sweet and friendy. Since I work nights and we don't see each other all week, we talk on the phone twice a day. He always tells me about what she did.

I had put a dog house and cat tepee on the carport, but I never saw her get in it. I tried putting the tepee on the steps right by the door, so it would be higher, like a cat likes, but it was wider than the steps, so I figured if she went in, it would roll over.

Then one night, The Boss told he she went in the tepee. Then he said he had put the tepee on the steps before she went in. I mentioned I had tried that, but was afraid of rollover. Guess what? He got two old paint cans to put on the lower steps to provide a wide enough platform! The other night when I came home from work she was in there and he told me this morning she was there this morning.

She is so sweet and comes running when called. Now the problem. Catfish comes to the fence and looks at her for a second, then gets bored. Tarzan, however, is another story. He's always been a meower, and now he meows at Tweety. He stares at her whenever he can see her. The meows are getting a bit less intense, and he doesn't hiss or act mean, just watches her every move. Today Tweety got real close to fence where he was and he hissed and yeowed, scaring her away. She is not afraid to get close the fence when he's there, but she is not curious and doesn't try to engage him. I will sit with her right outside the fence where he is, and all he does is stare and meow. Or if she is running along the fence, he runs along inside. Do cats feel more protective of their space if there's a fence?

So any advice is appreciated. I always figured he'd be the most accepting of a new cat between him and Catfish. The plan is to bring Tweety in a carrier into the yard and set her down and keep it like that for awhile as I stay with them. Then I'll take the carrier inside and do the same thing. And then I'll let her out and see what happens! The Boss was afraid if I let her out in the yard and there was a fight, they'd go under the porch where we couldn't get to.

I'm off Friday and Saturday, so I plan to just stay with them all day to see what will happen, and if no blood flows, I'll spend the night over there too.

So what do you think? This is new for me and I'm already sweating bullets!

Picture above is Tarzan with his face pressed up against the fence, looking at Tweety, who below, is just sitting there being a good girl. I think Tarzan is afraid if she comes in she'll steal Catfish away from his loving arms! I'm hoping since they are boys and she's a girl and they're all fixed that it will go fairly well. I do expect some hissing and squalling until they get their order settled. Catfish and Tarzan had a few tiffs before Tarzan came inside, and in fact, once in a while still have spats! Wish me luck!!!

posted by Sandy at 10/31/2007 11:33:00 AM

14 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Men are so funny! You just have to let them make up their own minds or let them think it was their idea and it all works out.

I like the idea of the kennel and think that would probably work good. Good luck getting her in the kennel!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

WAY TO GO TWEETY!
When we took our girls to my parent’s house, we kept them separated from my parents two cats by the bedroom door. They would sniff each other under the door and an occasional paw would come under the door from both sides of the door. Finally one day, my dad opened the door and just walked away. My girls slowly came out into the house and their cats slowly crept into their room. There was hissing and spitting but they each figured out the safety zone from each other... In time, they were all playing musical cat boxes and food and water bowls. My babies were eating their food and using their cat box and they in return did the same to my girls bowls and boxes. It was pretty funny until they all started to use only our boxes then I had double doody I mean duty.... they will work it out in cat time... the main thing is Tweety gets to be in the big house!

Will the Boss be passing out cigars at the party?? ha ahahahahah

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:07:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I tot I taw A putty tat dit a new home!!! I DID! I DID! COngrats to Tweety on his new parents and home!!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 7:44:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

yea for Tweety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for my gripe! I am so outraged over what I saw in the paper yesterday about a episode on the TV show "The Office". The writer of the article was saying how funny it was when this girl had to be told her cat was dead and the boyfriend said it was in a better place and had put it in the freezer, then saying how when the girl opened the freezer there was claw marks on the plastic bags where the cat hadn't been dead when the guy put it in there. I find absolutely nothing funny about that!!!! I think the show should be boycotted. Now you all may think I'm going too far but it just upset me to think how anyone could laugh about putting a live vcat in the freezer!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Okay, I'm really afraid of how Tarzan will be with Tweety. They've had several weeks to get to know each other through the fence, and he's had a good smell of her. Catfish basically ingores here when he can see her, but Tarazn ALWAYS keeps his eye on her, following along the fence line when she's walking. If she's over by the garage, he just sits there and watches.

When I sit outside the fence with her, he won't take his eyes off her. And he meows a lot, but he's always been a big meower. I'm just afraid the minute I let her out of the carrier (after leaving her in for a while so they can get more "used to each other" that he's ATTACK viciously!

I'm still new at the cat thing. From talking to more experienced cat people, they suggested I let Tweety out inside, so they can't run under the porch. I know Tweety will back down if something happens, but I'm worried about a total meltdown! I do expect swats and hisses at first, but I have myself all worked up over this, and it's going to happen tomorrow!

What does Tarzan's behavior tell you? His ears aren't flattened or anything when he's staring and meowing, but that STARE. Is it only because she's OUTSIDE his territory and more of an intruder? I thought he'd get more laid-back after so much time.

Do I have a disaster on my hands?

Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:58:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Sandy,
Have your screaming voice ready in the event you may need to use it to separate the two! You may want to put on some gloves for protections also if you must get into the middle of things. Cats are strange ones to figure out but in time they will be buds. Time and patients and dont get yourself all worked up because the cats may sense your fear and do something they normally would not do.... Look for the best but be ready for the worse! Good Luck!

Pam, that is horrible! I know that the Office is a comedy show and it is probably to be taken as a joke. But people can be so impressionable that maybe someone will see that and try to repeat it thinking it is funny… I don’t watch the Office so that is my boycott...

Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and Tarzan's stares and "stalking" along the fence worries me. I think I might try bringing Tweety in the yard in the carrier, but not letting her out. Then inside the apartment in the carrier, but not letting her out. Maybe do that for a few days and see how it goes and THEN let them out.

Tarzan is so much bigger than she is--he's a beast, and she's little. One good thing is Catfish and Tarzan are males and she's a younger female, which is better than another male.

Dogs are SO much easier to put together! I always say cats are easier for many reasons, but NOT when it comes to introductions!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I LOVE the Office and would never boycott it! I saw that episode and yes, it was upsetting, but the show is so "ridiculous" and you'd have to know the charachter Dwight to understand it. I don't think he KNOWINGLY put a live cat in the freezer, he thought it was dead (it was old as dirt) and thought he was "helping" his gal pal. He brought her another cat, a wild barn cat as a "replacement" and she freaked out at him, but later took it from another guy at the office.

You know how I feel about animals and such things,so I'm not callous to anyone's being bothered by it. I was to an extent.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Cheer up Pam, if the Writers Guild goes on strike today, there won't be any episodes of the Office to watch---but then again--there won't be any episodes of ANYTHING to watch! Does anyone remember the great strike back in 1980? There was NOTHING on for about 6 mos--and that was when there were only 3 networks! Get out your board games and movie rental cards people, cuz this thing is going to happen--guaranteed. The studios are never going to give up royalty $$$ from DVD and Pod cast sales.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

It was only a matter of time Sandy! I am sure the cats will get adjusted to each other in due time...

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:15:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I've heard that a malr cat and a female cat won't fight like same sex cats, does anyone know if that is true or not? Could be a Old wives tale or something I guess. I know males will fight males and females will fight females since I've had experience with both of that but the other---- hmmmmmm. Someone help us here.
I sure wish I knew of a trick that would prevent my cats and grand kitties from fighting just in case we may have to adopt the grand kitties sometime. Anyone who can hel too please Iopen to suggestions.already tried the introducing them to each other with two in the cage and letting them sniff each other under the door thing, didn't help.

Friday, November 02, 2007 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

P,S, Sandy, I never did see that blck cat again the other night and haven't seen it since so hope it went back home and stayed there till Halloween was over. It doesn't come around every day just when it's in the mood, just like Bonnie does. I still want to help her if she will just come to visit again soon. But it has to be her idea when she comes.

Friday, November 02, 2007 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

P,S, Sandy, I never did see that blck cat again the other night and haven't seen it since so hope it went back home and stayed there till Halloween was over. It doesn't come around every day just when it's in the mood, just like Bonnie does. I still want to help her if she will just come to visit again soon. But it has to be her idea when she comes.

Friday, November 02, 2007 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Pam, you must still be feeling poorly, you are studdering.... tee hee.... Hope you are feeling better today..

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation