The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Toads Come Home from Wags to Witches


The Boss gets nervous whenever the Humane Society has a fundraiser. It's not that he doesn't enjoy the party; it's that he worries about his wallet, as I have a tendency to get carried away with silent auctions. The Humane Society's Wags to Witches Fur Ball Bash was no exception. I'm a mad competitor and often keep the bidding going simply because I like to win.

My habit started when I worked for Big Brothers Big Sisters and we threw our annual Bowl For Kids' Sake. The silent auction featured a signed Titans football and a signed Predators hockey stick. The ball got tons of bids, but the stick was stuck at $0. I figured I'd get the ball rolling and bid $75. Guess who won?

The Boss was beside himself. And those things are huge — where would we stick the stick? Of course, I knew where The Boss would have loved to stick it, but I never turned my back on him for weeks afterward. He finally decided to hang it in his office as a conversation piece about what a nut job his wife is.

My auction madness didn't stop with the stick. Next was a Humane Society online auction for a variety of pet items. As I browsed, I spotted a beautiful frame with a painting of a dog. It had zero bids. The fact that no one bid probably had something to do with the dog, an Airedale wearing a British military red coat. You've seen that type of painting, like the dogs playing poker.

I always feel sorry for an underdog, whether it's a homely dog needing a home or the hard-luck Cubs who've been struggling for a century to win a World Series. So, I made a $50 bid because I felt sorry for it. Yes, I felt sorry for a painting. Lucky me won the prize and brought home the Brit. I hung it in a hallway on the way to a bathroom, where it was out of view, but The Boss couldn't stand it. It was a constant reminder of my insanity and his dwindling dollars.

I joked with Amy Shaver, a Humane Society board member, that we should have a fundraiser with it. I'd pay someone to take it and hang it in their house, then they'd have to pay someone to take it off their hands, and it could make money in perpetuity. I got no takers and eventually donated it to a Cats Are Us yard sale. I often wonder if the poor pooch found a good home.

I lost my next foray into the auction world, which was an exciting bidding war. The painting was truly great, created by local artist who donated it to the Humane Society for a fundraiser at the Ice House Cafe. It was a take on the Beatles' Abbey Road album. The Fab Four were crossing the street, and each had a little dog trotting along at their feet. The Boss doesn't know how high I bid on that one, but let's just say it's a good thing I lost, or I'd have been served with divorce papers citing me for mental cruelty.

When I bid on my latest treasure Saturday at the Wags to Witches dance, I didn't fear getting the boot, just the usual tongue-lashing. The print is titled "The Trophy Room" and shows two toads — one sitting on a chair looking out a window and one lying on a sofa — inside a cozy cabin. On the wall are mounted heads and wings of insects they scored.

You might wonder why I'd want such a picture. Well, I don't like modern hunting, because it's a "sport," not a necessity. I don't care if hunters eat what they kill, and I understand the deer overpopulation problem, but the fact is hunters hunt because they get a thrill from the kill, and I am turned off by those who derive pleasure from killing of any kind. A real sport is a fair contest between players who choose to play. Heck, hunters don't even use the word "kill," instead choosing sporty words like "bag" or "took" or "tagged." Have the guts to call a spade a spade.

To me, the toads illustrate the absurdity of trophy heads on a wall, so I hung the picture as a statement. Some day you may come across my trophy statement at an animal-rescue group yard sale, where you can win it for a far cheaper price than I did and pass along the story. It's all for a good cause. For me, the added bonus is getting a rise out of The Boss, one of my favorite sports, a sport that is fair and, so far, bloodless.

posted by Sandy at 10/24/2007 11:04:00 AM

15 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

My mom sent me to the Fur Ball Bash with some cash for the silent auction. I saw this picture and thought she would kill me if I bid on it! LOL. I must say it did get lots of conversations started as well as laughs. Make sure you have this proudly displayed for Daisylouu to enjoy during her visit!

I was having an interesting conversation with the Boss about your Bidding wars at Silent auctions as well as public open Auctions. He was cracking me up with his theories. But he did warn me to not get into a war because you would win! I was so happy you never placed a second bid on the I-Robot I was bidding on for mom. I did have a bit of a bidding war with another couple. They were pretty adamant about winning it but I stuck it out and gave that one extra bid (adding my own money to moms) to win the vacuum for her…. My extra bidding money went into a voting jar at the end of the auction so my bid could have gone higher then it actually did….

I noticed that the Boss, Flyboy and the Saint spent a lot of time in the hall where the bidding was taking place. I was not sure why but now thinking, they were keeping an eye on us crazy women while bidding….

I know that Pam and Alice both went home with their arms loaded down with goodies!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

oh NO!!!! Pam and Alice didn't take it all home---Jeremy took two arm loads out. I know he didn't blow a lot, and that it wnet to where it would have ended up anyway (to pets), but it was the stuff he bid on that I couldn't understand. We got two baskets of almost the same stuff--clippers, brushes, etc. We don't even brush the dogs with the brush that we have! Charlie won't sit for it, it rakes up Lucys dandriff, and Hines, well Hines would rather eat the brush than have it touch him. Even Pearl won't take being brushed for long. But Jeremy can match Sandy anyday-he's stubborn as a mule and won't give up til he gets his way or wins the war. I feel a kinship with The Boss and understand the situation completely!!LOL

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's true! Jeremy was a bidding-- and winning--maniac!

I love the stuff I won! I am using the coffee cup and Herbie has dibbs on the plush basket. He loves it! And Scootie and Herbie had a great time eating and rolling in the cat nip that was tucked into another basket. The professor is going back to California this week and is taking the Harley Davidson stuff I won for our really close friend who used to live here but moved back to Fresno. She is also getting the purple collar and leash for Sandy, a chocolate lab who lived down the street from us when we lived down in Woodlawn but Sandy's owner let her roam free and on the day we moved, she took Sandy with her to Fresno. Sandy was also showing up at the Woodlawn house and we let her in and she was such a sweet girl. Purple is our friend's favorite color and the collar and leash are for a big dog so it was perfect for Sandy.

I gave away the chocolate covered pretzels (I don't like chocolate) and the bag of ground coffee (I don't have a coffee maker). We are going to put a picture of Aimee, dog princess, in the frame that came in a basket, and Trouble's picture is on display in the living room. All in all, I got some great things, well worth all the money I bid!

I love auctions...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:13:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Pearcehart,
I wondered where the chocolate pretzels came from!!! The Saint said you gave them to him and they are yummy! We have been munching on them for three days! A little chocolate a day keeps the doctor away.... I recall you saying you were bidding on the Harley Davidson stuff but did not realize you had won it! Congrats on all your winnings. And that is so sweet of you to win things for others enjoyment…

Yep sorry B about leaving Jeremy out… I do remember Jeremy’s name being called about 10 times for winnings.. How many bobble heads did you end up with??? Just let the dogs play with the brush like a toy. What ever makes the babies happy….

Sandy, I asked the Saint if he saw your winning picture and he said, "OH YES" he said he was standing there when the Boss realized it was won by you! I am not allowed to pass on what the Boss said per the Saints request. “Man Code” you know….LOL

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I did my fair share of auction bidding myself. Sweetie mostly doesn't care, because unlike Sandy, my hubby doesn't pay for MY auction haul. I fork over my own money for it, so he can't say a word!!

I tried to stay on things that I would actually want to win. I mostly achieved that goal. I got the socket tool set (for Sweetie, so how could he complain about that one) that came with a FREE oil change. I got a one year family membership to the Customs House Museum. Probably the only thing I wasn't crazy about winning was the book with all the rescue dog sculptures. Not exactly my usual cup of tea, but it was for a good cause, so I won't complain too much. I mostly bid on it to get people started. Since I ended up with it, I guess it wasn't anyone else's cup of tea either. LOL

The most interesting thing I won was an antique cast iron bathtub!! I totally had no intention of winning it, but it was over halfway thru bidding and NO ONE had bid on the poor thing. Again, I figured I would just start things, and no one else ever bid on it. Amy and her hubby delivered it to us on Sunday, and it is really cool. Claw feet and all. Don't have a clue yet what we are going to do with it. Fix it up?? Use it as outside landscape decor?? I just don't know yet.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Stacey,

I missed the tub auction item! I wonder if I had won it if they would have delivered it to our house in GA??? LOL

Proudly place the tub in the front yard and put flowers in it...
Now that would be a conversation piece! LOL

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

It was an 8x10 piece of paper with pics and the desciption of the tub. I figure it probably got lost in the shuffle since it wasn't framed or anything. I'll let you all know what we do with it, whenever we figure that out.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Stacey I thought you really wanted taht tubmha. I was wondering why you wanted it but I have friends who love the old claw feet tubs so everybody has different tastes and it was for a good casue. Hey how about making it into a doggie bath tub? Would be a good place to bathe the dogs for sure. But Skeeter I'm sorry to say that the bath tub in the yard with flowers isn't unique. On Old Sango road there is a house that has one in the yard and it's just like the one Stacey won except it has a shower mounted in it too. Stacey go drive by it and you might get ideas, ha. I still like the doggie tub though.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 3:53:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Pam, I love the idea of using the tub as a doggie tub! Lucy may love it!

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Yeah, love a BATH TUB???? I think not.

Unless we can mount it on a platform of some type, I don't think Doggie Tub is an option. Sweetie likes to take the puppies to the Pet Food Center in North Clarksville. They have these AWESOME doggie wash facilities. The tubs are at your waist level, so there is NO BENDING OVER or sqauting involved. Well worth the price of admission. They have the spray nozzles on hoses for easy wetting and rinsing and even blow dryers to bring out your dog's inner beauty.

The only bummer to the dog wash trip now is that they closed the Krystal on that side of town. That was their reward for being good puppies during bath time. They used to get to go through the Krystal drive through and get plain Krystals with their Daddy. They loved that. Sigh......

Friday, October 26, 2007 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Oh my gosh Stacey! You need to go to the Krystal website and post your doggie burger story! You may get into the "Hall of Fame" with your story! And guess what the Saint and I had for lunch today??? Yep, krystal burgers and chili cheese pups! No joke, we really did!!!

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

OK, Someone please explain to me the fascination with Krystals. They do not have them here or in CO, so when we go to GA the Foreman INSISTS on stopping at Krystals. I don't think they are any more special than McDonalds, but that's all he can talk about the whole way there, every time. So what gives?

Friday, October 26, 2007 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Adrienne, they must be a Southern thing! Little square steamy delights.... My first stop after flying home from Germany each trip was to Krystals! Love the things...

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Stacey,
You need to check out what Tina of the "In the Garden" Blog did with an old bathtub in todays (Sat)blog....

Think Sweetie would be up for that???

Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

They closed a Krystals? What are they thinking? That is terrible! Thanks goodness we still have the other one. Oh Adrienne it really must be a southern thing cause everyone I know here loves them! one appeal I think is thier size and how you can eat several before feeling guilty about it and man those chilli cheese pups, yum! Also the spicey Krystal chicks, I could eat a half dozen!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation