Tricks not sweet Treats by Skeeter
Oh, aint my little brother Pepper cute snuggling up to his German bear friends. Ah the smell of Bratwurst, sauerkraut, oh, excuse me, for a minute there I was back in Germany at the Oktoberfest! Whoopee what a good time that was… Anyone else out there ever make a trip to Munich to the Real Oktoberfest? If you ever get the chance, go for it. It was one good time for sure… I did not drink beer but had a blast people watching. You see it all at Oktoberfest.
The big thing in America during the month of October would have to be Halloween. Lets not forget about our furry ones during this time of month. Candy will be flowing, door bells ringing and scary things lurking in the shadows….
Here is something I saw in our paper that I would like to pass along as a little reminder….
Don’t leave your pets in the yard on Halloween.
Trick or treat candies are not for pets: chocolate is poisonous to a lot of animals.
Keep your outside cats inside several days before and several days after Halloween. Black cats in particular my be at risk.
Be careful of pets around a lit pumpkin. Pets may knock it over and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned.
Don’t dress the dog or cat in costume unless you know he or she love it. Otherwise, it puts too much stress on the animal.
All but the most social dogs and cats should be kept in a separate room during trick or treat visiting hours. Too many strangers can be scary for a dog or cat.
When opening the door for trick or treaters, be very careful your cat or dog doesn’t dart outside.
Make sure your dog or cat is wearing proper identification. If for any reason they escape and become lost, you increase the changes that they will be returned to you.
Chocolate is not appropriate for pets. It can be poisonous to many animals. Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination and heart rate can be seen with the ingestion of an ounce of baking chocolate by a 10-pound dog.
Candies and gum containing the sweetener xylitol also can be toxic to pets. A dog ingesting significant quantities can experience a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, uncoordinated movements and seizures.
Keep aluminum foil and cellophane candy wrappers away from pets. They can cause vomiting and could block intestines.
Keep your pet on its normal diet. Any change of diet, even for one meal, might give your dog or cat severe indigestion and diarrhea.
Keep alcoholic beverages away from pets. If ingested, alcohol can cause the animal to become very ill, possibly resulting in death.
If you suspect your pet might have become exposed to a potentially toxic product or substance, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately for assistance….
Let’s be safe and Happy Halloween Pet People…..
posted by Skeeter at 10/29/2007 09:40:00 PM