The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Dog Ate My Homework......And....


We've all heard that old line, "The dog ate my homework."

While many kids who said that were most likely lying, I bet more than a few actually were not--and then were called a liar any way.

Today in the paper was an interesting article about University of Tennessee vets and all the things they've found inside of dogs when they've brought to the animal ER for these problems.

They said sometimes dogs will eat strange things because of gastric problems or liver disease. When dogs do this, they call the strange condition "pica."

But most of the times, dogs just eat strange things and the reason is unknown. They guess in can be the odor of the item. The vets at UT solicited by e-mail stories of what dogs have eaten. A sampler platter: many dogs find underwear particularly tasty. One woman lost a yellow smiley-face bra to her dog. Also dogs have eaten pantyhose, rope, rocks. One vet found a Victoria's Secret THONG (ha, ha Dragon) in the belly of a boxer. One woman lost a diamond pendant to a cocker spaniel puppy. That one passed through okay and was retrieved.

Some owners report eaten paychecks--one person actually had two eaten by their dog. Many dogs like twine, ribbon, tampons, tube socks, rubber bands, toys.

My own vet operated twice on the same dog for eating whole a walnut. He said he notices labs are particularly bad about eating stuff. He also had a tube sock operation.

My dogs love used tissues. I always forget to close the bathroom door, and often find Zoe laying on the floor shredding and eating tissue.

I've seen strange things in they yard upon cleanup duty: dental floss, bits of plastic from toys, pieces of candy wrapper, and I'm very careful about what they can get to.

With the holiday season approaching, as Adrienne said in a previous topic, we pet owners must be even more vigilant about not leaving things for dogs to vacuum up. While most times things pass, you don't' want to have a holiday trip to the vet for an emergency.

So, any good "the dog (or cat) ate my homework stories?"

Picture above is Zoe in her younger days chowing down on a treat.

posted by Sandy at 11/13/2007 02:22:00 PM

12 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

only time for a quick tip right now. on the dental floss, it can be especially dangerous to cats . We once had to take our Tiger to the vet because he ate some string. They made him vomit it up and he was fine but we've been extra careful since. now our Brittany who eats all kinds of stuff including plastic has to be watched like a hawk. What we do at our house with the dental floss is to tie it into smaller and smaller pieces when we're done with it then we flush it down the toilet so there is no chance any of our girls can get to it. They used to find it in the trash and even tho it's was tied it still scared me so now it always gets flushed.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

P.S. Lunch was fun girls, we must do it again soon!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:54:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Yes, sorry I had to run! We'll have to do a Saturday lunch sometime when Sandy is in town for shopping or something, when we can just sit and visit. Girl talk stuff.....

Pam and Sandy--No telling my secrets, either one of them. Not until I decide one way or the other. I'm thinking.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

When we brought Stella home she ate her poop and my socks. When I cleaned the yard I would find my missing socks. Thankfully they all passed without surgery. She no longer eats socks but ocasionally still eats poop.YUCK!!

I think we should have a rule that what happens at pet people parties, stays at pet people parties. If you want to know what happened, you have to come!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Now we know why you call her Stinky Stella! LOL

No good eating stories here as my cats dont seem to eat anything but fake plants and real ones then barf them up. I am in the process of trashing everything I catch them nibbling on!

Yep, what happens at parties stays at parties! But since I am out of town, I should know the secret Stacey! You know I would have been at lunch if I were in Clarksvegas!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

News from Jennifer:

Jenniefer tried to post this, but the blog was down at the time ( I too lost an entire composition!)but now it's working so here's what she wrote and sent me by e-mail to post:

Well, all our little monsters get into things. Zander has a thing for mine and my hubby's underwear. Zander also will eat dollar bills if you leave them laying around. That always aggravates me since I can't get them back or take him to the store and pay by scanning him. Jake and Zander have a thing for used tissues. Abby takes any food that falls on the floor and will bite your hand off if you try to get it back. Annabelle went through a phase where she kept eating the corners of our comforters. This became a real issue when we had down comforters because then feathers would go everywhere. Jake is really bad about drinking out of my cup if it is on the end table or night stand. He is sneaky though. He always looks around first to make sure no one is watching. His wet face always gives it away. We have to be careful because he will drink anything, including my hot chocolate which I don't want him to have. I am constantly checking to make sure my hubby doesn't leave anything around that they could get into. When we go visit my mom, all the monsters go too. The first thing I do is go in and monster proof the house. One year I missed a candy dish of mints, needless to say Abby left with very fresh breath!

I love the underwear and dollar bills thing. Can't take them to a strip joint, or they'd be eating the outfits AND the tips! LOL

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Sandy, something strange is happening to the Blog comments being posted.... I have to go through a stange process to get them to post....

I love the eating dollar bills and underwear! I know that is not good for the little guys but too funny to read about. Sounds as though you have your hands full Jennifer and to think you are having a two legged one soon! Wow, you are a brave soul....

I have three Christmas trees standing tall (sorry Adrienne but in-laws want to see them at Thanksgiving) and so far none of them have been turned over by the snooping girls. Sheba was in pure ecstasy with the boxes! I wish yall could have seen how her eyes light up when I got them out of the storage closet. She was too funny running behind me as I took them into each room. I caught a snap of her in the middle of one tree while still in the box. She was giving it a Cat Scan to make sure it was good enough to display for Santa.... If the trees survive 24 hours without any cats climbing them, I may decorate them tomorrow. Funny putting up Christmas trees when it is in the 80's outside! Yes, the 80's and feels like summer again in GA....

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Do you guys remember telling you about Brittany and Penelope trying to eat the glass Christmas lights? I have to shut them up in the bedroom with us at night all through Christmas and untill we take the trees down to keep them safe. Brittany also tries to eat ribbon and other things, have to watch her like a hawk.

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:28:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

You all think it's strange that I use mouse traps, But nobody gets in the chrismas tree.

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:21:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

I am about ready to use mouse traps in the yard! A mole is building a dang interstate in our yard! I love critters and dont want to hurt them and yall know my story on how we could not kill some we have caught but that thing is going wild in the yard and we fall into holes every time we walk through the yard! Argggggggg to the bone!

Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Skeeter that calls for specialized equipment.... Rat traps! HA!

Sunday, November 18, 2007 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Or a pitch fork!

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation