The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Friday, November 02, 2007

Petting Zoo by Skeeter





Does this qualify as a Worse Picture of me or what? I think it is so funny that I had to share it with my Pet People friends. Be gentle with your comments!

Last night the Saint and I went to the local Fair. They had a little area set up as a Petting Zoo. We just had to go and get some Noggin from the furry ones! We got a cup of food and I had the best time getting to know the critters. This camel had me laughing at the way in which he would take the food from my hands. The young cow was such a slobber goblin that the Saint refused to feed him! This coming from a guy that does his own car maintenance and comes into the house a greasy mess from head to toe!

I had a bit of a problem with a burro. I was kneeling down to get closer to him and as I kneel, I was cupping the food so it would not fall out of my hand. Well, as it turns out, I did not need to kneel down as far as I had thought and the burro started taking the food before I was ready for him! The thing ended up getting a hold of my hand and as I tried to pull away, he was tugging the other direction! He and I were playing tug-of-war with my hand while the teeth were clamping down! I could not blame the burro as it was my fault and I knew better because as a child I was bitten by a horse by cupping my hand instead of holding it flat. The Saint knew I would not feed the burro any more food after that as it left teeth marks on my hand. I decided I was not going to be scared of him so I continued to feed him. Oh mighty brave one I am… I had to cup my hand while feeding the Llama and Camel as they use their lips to get to the food and not their teeth as the burro.

I worry about how well the animals are being taken care of but they all seem to be happy and in good health. The care takers kept a watchful eye on the animals and will ask people to leave if they feel someone is not being nice to them. The people are there to answer questions about the animals also. It gave me joy to see a small child that was scared to death of the big hairy creatures become brave enough to feed them from her tiny hands. She was so excited at the feel of the animals tongue that she kept getting more and more food to feed them! I think that child learned that big scary looking critters are not so scary after all. A good lesson learned in my book. I was impressed as to how gentle people were with the animals too. Everyone seemed to show the animals respect. I am sure the animals would probably prefer to be elsewhere but these seem happy and they were being used as a learning tool for children. So we were okay with the Petting Zoo….

It was fun walking down the mid-way hand in hand with my Saint as we munched on Corndogs! Do any of you attend local Fairs and how do you feel about Petting Zoo's at such events?

posted by Skeeter at 11/02/2007 10:31:00 AM

9 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

There are no words!

Friday, November 02, 2007 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

I think that should be your Christmas card this year Skeeter! The tag line coming from the camel could be "Do you like my new mouth wash?"
or
"How about this new cologne?"

Friday, November 02, 2007 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Well now I do feel better about my past photos,haha.

Friday, November 02, 2007 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kitten said...

Geez, can't tell who has bigger mouth - Skeeter or Camel. I agree B, this would make a great photo Christmas card.

Friday, November 02, 2007 6:01:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH, you brought back such memories! When my son was about 6 years old a goat threw up on his head at the State Fair! That triggered him to upchuck right back at the goat!

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Ginger, I am gald that did not happen to me because I am sure the Saint would have snapped that picutre too! And of course I would have had to show it to y'all...

Okay B and Kitten, I can even paste yall's picture in there with me if you like....

It was a priceless moment caught by the Saint...

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:12:00 PM  
Blogger Daisylouu said...

The picture is priceless.

I have very mixed emotions about zoos and especially petting zoos. I've fed everything from goats to stingrays. Of course kids love being able to meet animals up close (adults too) but I've seen far too many stressed out animals and horrific children. I suppose proper superivision is the key (by the zoo personnel) and wouldn't it be wonderful if ALL parents taught their kids proper behavior around animals?? I've seen far too many creatures being poked and pulled and kicked and jumped upon.....and even worse, people (adults) LAUGHING when they witness it.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 8:39:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

You could always let the camel be saying "bless you" cuz you look like your having a alergic sneeze fit.

Monday, November 05, 2007 2:18:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Ahhhhh chewwwwwww! LOL

Monday, November 05, 2007 5:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation