The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Monday, November 12, 2007

Two's company, Tweety's a crowd :(



By now you all know my cat situation. After lots of tears and consideration, The Boss and I have decided that what is best for Tweety, the stray we tried to fit into our home, is a new home where she can live free of terror and with people, whom she loves so much. A sweeter, gentler and more loving cat I've never met.

I know you all have told me that it will work out, that you have to let them "go" and believe me, we've tried. I did the slow introduction. They "knew" each other through the fence for weeks. Tweety never showed interest in "sniffing" them and Tarzan was on her like a scope. We brought her in and had her in her own room, as recommended. They had lots of time to smell each other, get used to each other. I switched the bedding, wiped them with the same towels. We had slow introductions with the carrier and then let them go, inside and out.

I thought things were going better, but they are going worse. Tweety now hisses and growls whenever they even just walk by, as the altercations she's had with them didn't go well, so she is more afraid of them than she used to be. When we let them go, Tarzan goes after her, which we have tried to let play out. She hisses and growls, he stalks. He tries to sneak up behind her and then pounces. He's cornered her several times and won't give up. Then even Catfish started stalking and chasing her, hair on his back up. Tarzan got a bloody nose once, but he keeps after her. The other night, both of them chased her under the bed and then Catfish went after her. She was terrified.

The thing is, there are cat cats and people cats. She is a people cat and would also do well with a similar cat. She doesn't mind new surroundings, loves laying on your lap, butts her head in your hand for petting. She doesn't even resist going into the carrier. My two, while they like some affection, are happy with each other and I guess, very territorial, both males. My sister's first cat is a very sweet female with the same personality as Tweety. When she brought in other cats, they kept picking on Sassy. Eight years later, they are still after her and she has to be put in a separate room every night so the others don't torment her. But they all live in the same house and have made that work. My living arrangements don't allow for that, and I don't want her to have to live in fear.

We both love her, but we want her to have the home she deserves.I just have a gut feeling, which is always pretty accurate, that this is just not a good match for her or any of them. It might work that after months they can "tolerate" each other, but I don't' want her having to live on the defense. And I emotionally can't go through these introductions getting worse, not better.

You know my situation where the cats live in an attached apartment and go in and out to a cat fenced in yard. While we spend time with them over there, they are content to be alone with each other. I don't want Tweety to be alone, specifically because she is so people loving. She deserves a home where she is living always with her people, where she gets lots of affection and can curl up on laps and feel comfortable and loved.

This has been hard on me and part of me says I should keep trying, but deep down I know she belongs in a better situation for HER.It's that intuition you have. I have brought lots of new dogs into a pack and put Tarzan and Catfish together, but deep in my bones I just know this match just isn't "right"

I tell myself my part in rescuing in her was simply to get her to where she belongs. Fate, Karma, whatever. And I hope I find that place for her soon. We even considered trying her in the main house with the dogs, but I don't trust Zoe, based on Zoe's reaction to Catfish and Tarzan. And there's enough chaos with those three without having them after a cat all of the time. I think she'd be fine with a dog, but one that is used to cats, and mine aren't. I want her to have peace and love.

I'm emotionally a basket case--I know most of that is my own doing--but I can't help it.

So, I need help from all you guys in finding her a new home. Keep your eyes and ears open and let your friends know she'd make a wonderful feline friend. As I said, she is not afraid of new surroundings and makes herself right at home. Even when the cats cornered her or jumped on her and she hid, I could simply grab her by the neck and pull her out--she didn't resist or act scared and as soon as she was away from them she became her old self.

If anyone is interested, I will be giving all her supplies with her: food, bed, toys, tepee, etc. She is spayed. She is up to date on all shots and vaccines and healthy as a horse. She's about 1-3 years old. She'd be great with children old enough to know to be gentle or any family at all--young, old, single, married.

Call me at 387-3500 and if I'm not here, leave a message. Or call 237-7063, though my cell doesn't work at my home and I have it on only when at work or in town.E-mail: sjobritt@aol.com

Thanks all, and pray that some angel will welcome Tweety into their home soon.

On one good note, I lost 4 pounds, as I've been so stressed I can't eat much. Ha, the cat diet. :) Wish Tweety luck, she deserves it.

posted by Sandy at 11/12/2007 11:02:00 AM

12 Comments:

Blogger Daisylouu said...

I know how hard this is for you, trust me, I saw it first hand. I also know that Tarzan and Catfish are stalkers bigtime and since the apartment is so small, there isn't much room for escape....especially difficult to supervise because they aren't in the main house.

I would love Tweety and it kills me that I can't have her either. I hinted to "the man" that I thought about sneaking her on to the plane....and he mumbled something about Tiger having to die first....to which I replied "or you"....tee hee

If you really run out of luck finding a home, I could push the issue here in Yankee-land-frozen-tundra....and I could meet you halfway somewhere, or maybe just drive my yankee-ass down there for Thanksgiving and visit again with the Pet People ha ha! After going back to work today I'm ready for another vacation!

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:52:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Sorry to hear this Sandy. I know you were stressing out but I had no idea it was to the point of weight loss! Did you eat any pie? Hope it all works out in the end as my motto is, everything happens for a reason. So I think there will be a happy ending....

Monday, November 12, 2007 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Poor Sandy, bless your heart. I know how much you love Tweetie and want to keep her as well as The Boss does too. This has all been so hard on you but hey you lost 4 pounds, In my book thats a plus, well for me anyway you don't really need to lose. I too think things happen for a reason and that this will have a happy solution. Maybe it is meant for Tweetie to be inside the house with you guys kind of kitty. After all she loves people and attention from you. And since The Boss loves her maybe she is supposed to be his cat. You can always give that a try then if it doesn't work out maybe someone who has been reading our blog will want her. She just has to be in a loving home.
Daisy I love your idea of getting together again soon. It would ahve to be after Thanksgiving though since the grand kids are coming to spend the night the day after that. I liked what you said about The Man, maybe dying and you could have Tweetie,ha. Now before someone reading this thinks I'm amonster for saying that I am only kiddding. I wouldn't wish anything bad like that in order for a animal to get a home. Thought I'd better make sure that was said before people start thinking I'm too far gone. Of course some people think that anyway.
Good luck Sandy, Tweetie is so beautiful and she deserves the best.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Pam, I'd like to find her a home that she deserves. My dogs have never been around cats and they are older. Scooter lived with a cat for a few weeks before he came to me, but he was brought in the cats home and the cat was old and not very active. I think Scooter and Peanut would be okay, but Zoe is the one, for all her sweetness, that I don't trust, because of how she was with Tarzan and Catfish when I'd walk her outside the fenece. The other two sniffed noses with the cats (who came right up to them at the fence), but Zoe had that stare on and lunged at them more than once.

If I had only one dog, I would do it, but three of them--they are a mess all by themselves!

Yes, we love Tweety, but I want what is best for her, and I know there is a place where she can be the princess she should be.

Skeeter said they are coming up for Christmas, and Brett wanted a Christmas party, so maybe we can do something around that time. The Boss is on vacation. I have Fri Sat off and will have some personal days and an extra holiday day off, as I'll be working Christmas Day.

Maybe Daisy can even come back, as she has several days off then too! What do you say sis?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Oh, I forgot to mention Zoe is part chow, and they are known to be not cat friendly. Bringing Tweety in her is a last resort if I can't find her a home, if I think I can deal with that. I'm such a wuss. :(

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Daisylouu said...

As much as I'd love to come for Xmas, not sure if it's possible since I have a week filled with dr. appts for both my human child and our mother. It's very tempting VERY TEMPTING because the Boss told me (as we were driving to the airport alone) that he would probably be able to get me Jets-Titans tickets for December 23rd........my #1 dream (next to Dragon in the thong)!!!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Sandy, I am aware of your cat situation, and as Pam has said, Bless Your Heart. I really feel for you and the heavy heart that you now have. It is very admirable of you to want to give Tweety a new home and bring her into your family. Tweety, who found her way into your heart and in return you wanted to give her the best life that you could. It is a shame that our children sometimes act up in a manner that just doesn’t make it possible.

But, Sandy, there is no need to be a basket case. It is easy for me to say not to worry, but I can tell it has really gotten to you. Try your best to take it easy, girl. You said it could be fate or karma; that you rescued her simply to help get her to where she belongs. I might know where she may actually belong. I feel Tweety will be welcomed into a new place where she could call home.

Sandy, I am not mocking you or making light of your anxiety over Tweety. I have shed my rough and tough scaly exterior for the night. You could even say that I have donned my halo. Every Dragon has a soft side, and Tweety’s plight has brought mine out. After reading the sad story of you and your poor, precious pet, I had a Dragon tear in my eye. You said Tweety really loves people. How does she feel about Dragons? I am a loveable creature, when I want to be. If you doubt that, just ask Daisylouu.

Tweety has caught my eye. But, I always thought she looked more like Sylvester than Tweety. Besides, I have recently designed a new CAT-a-pult and from the pictures I have seen of her, Tweety would fit perfectly into the seat. You said she likes to play with toys, right? And, she comes with accessories, right? Are batteries included? And if it doesn’t work out, we can all chip in for cab fare to get her back out to your place.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Is the ole Dragon boy trying to get Tweety for himself? I think you should go for it and see if the Ghost and King will allow Tweety into their domain!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:29:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Dragon, the Tweety LOVES dragons. I bought her a toy dragon and her only complaint was that he wasn't wearing a thong.

As an added bonus, Tweety has laid her body all over Daisy's lap! And now she can lay her body on YOUR lap, as she is a lover girl.

Your lady would also love you forever (and owe you forever) if you brought home such a prize for Christmas. You'll be IN for good and can get away with being bad for a long time after that.

Sylvester won't work for a new name, as Tweety is a little girl, but you can always name her Daisy. :)

Tweet is so sweet she doesn't even resist going in the carrier! And she is not a scaredy cat when it coems to meeting new people or new places. All she needs is a loving, fire-breathing Dragon to be her Daddy.

You know where to find me, so let's arrange a Tweet meet and greet!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

So is Dragon going to try and fit Tweety into his family of feline babies????

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Rumor has it that Dragon and the lady Guinevere are going to Sandy's this weekend to see if Tweety likes Dragons as much as she likes normal people. Or, as much as she likes Sandy, cause she sure isn't normal!!!!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Oh Goodie goodie gumdrops!
I will be crossing my fingers for a great dragon, tweety visit!

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation