The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas 1992: When there was only ONE


I'm finally getting my Skeeter Christmas challenge picture up.

This is an old photo and had to be scanned, so it's not the best. But it is a favorite. This was right after we moved into our new house. I had decided to adopt Tramp from the Humane Society, but was going to wait until after the holidays to bring her home, when it was less hectic and we had a chance to put in the fence. Well, of course,I couldn't leave her borded at the kennel, so she came home Dec. 10. That's the day she first got her heartworm medicine and to this day, that is the date the dogs get theirs!

The first thing she did on the first day we brought her home, was stick her face into the tree, and when she pulled it back out, this is what she looked like! Oh, the simple days when I had just one dog and before I got involved with shelters. Not that I regret all the things I've done and dogs and cats I've adopted, it's just a bit of nostalgia.

I think I posted Tramp's story before, but here it is again in honor of her memory. This story is posted on the Humane Society Web site under their "success stories."

The minute I saw Tramp I said, "We'll take her!" Tramp had lived with a man whose wife died several months prior. Tramp, who was 2 at the time, was allowed to roam free & that's how she acquired her name. Tramp's owner suspected she was pregnant with her 2nd litter was about to "drop her off" somewhere, when a friend convinced him to take her to the Humane Society of Clarksville-Montgomery County instead. I shudder to think of what could have happened to her. I later learned that Tramp's former owner was shocked that someone actually adopted her! I don't know why, because she's been the best dog in the world; no one could as for a more loyal, loving and faithful friend.

On the drive home she laid next to me, her head resting on my lap as I petted her and told her all about us and her new home. The first thing she did in her new home was stick her nose in the Christmas Tree. She turned around and had several long strands of tinsel hanging on her nose! It was truly a Merry Christmas for Tramp--and for us. I never liked her name much, but I thought she was used to it, so we kept it, even though she was no longer a tramp of the neighborhood!

Tramp has had many adventures--a visit to my family in PA, where she escaped for a short time and ran down the street, almost causing my Mother a heart attack. She also chased the resident cat, who stayed in an upstairs closet during our entire visit! She often went camping with us, once getting mixed up with a skunk! I refused to have her sleep outside, even though she stunk! So she slept in the camper until morning when we went out and got some de-skunk shampoo.

So many people never consider adopting an older dog from a shelter, but it's often the best choice for so many reasons. The dogs are truly grateful, for one. Older dogs are also out of the chewing puppy stage, make for calmer pets, and are often easier to house train than a puppy. I have housetrained four adult dogs--all adopted strays--without a hitch.

Tramp died December 18, 2004, leaving her family the same way she came to them, 12 years almost to the day after she was adopted: in her Mommy's arms in the car. Tramp was 14 when she died unexpectedly, quickly and without suffering. Her family will miss her and love her always and looks forward to the day when they will meet again across the Rainbow Bridge."

Merry Christmas to all the dogs and cats in shelters hoping for a happy Christmas story of their own.

posted by Sandy at 12/21/2007 08:22:00 AM

19 Comments:

Blogger B said...

Thats a sweet story Sandy. I know it tugs at your heart to remember all that, but it was a nice tale and a precious memory you'll always have, with a pic to boot!
God Bless them all--eveywhere--sheltered, rescued, abandoned, homeless, harmed, whatever they may be or their situation--May God bless them one and all

Friday, December 21, 2007 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

We have our very own Tiny Tim here!!!! That's why we love you, B. You have the biggest heart of them all.

Friday, December 21, 2007 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Yeah, yeah,yeah. If I'm so good and big hearted why won't God reward me with a dog that won't pee on the edge of the bed every day-LOL

Friday, December 21, 2007 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

Awww, B. THAT'S why YOU have the pee dog... the rest of us would kill it!

Friday, December 21, 2007 9:13:00 PM  
Blogger k9rescue said...

Hey, B. Ever think of just having a "marking" war? Just keep peeing on the bed until the dog gives up! You can do it... I'm rooting for you!

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

Well... good news about Mittens! Mittens is staying with his foster family. They have decided to keep him and I understand that totally. I am just happy that Mittens has a forever family.

So, I will keep looking for another kitten... I know there will be lots and a special one that needs me.

I hope the Cats R Us day went well! Tell us what happened!

Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:55:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

It is 12:57 am and I am so blessed. The CATS R US DAY went so well, and we just left our Christmas party. I am so blessed. I have made such wonderful friends thru this thing called the blog, and it has led me to be more active in my town concerning the well being of animals. Thanks to all my blog friends and for allthe good you help with.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 1:04:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Alice--I'm sorry you lost your Mittens, but there are plenty of others out there that need a forever home. I know you will find your next family member very soon, and it will have a happy , wonderful home with you and the professor!

Sunday, December 23, 2007 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger dragon said...

Alice the day at Cats R Us went like I thought it would. And to let you know they had an adorable kitten there wifey-pooh could not leave alone. She wanted to bring it home. But I put my foot down and told her, “If the cat comes home, you stay here. What’s it gonna be?” After a long time thinking about it, she decided not to stay at Cats R Us.

For those of you suffering though a headache from last night, take two aspirin and don’t call me today. Just remember a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down. I have been up for a while and wifey-poo is still in bed. Thank goodness. Breakfast in peace and quiet.

Daisyloou I wish you were there.................

Sunday, December 23, 2007 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger dragon said...

Daisy, Daisy.....I am heading off to my recliner, wearing nothing but my Jets thong, with a frosty mug of beer in one hand, the remote in the other, and a bag of nuts to my side, with Shadow at my feet. The only drawback is that Wifey poo is here. Oh well, a man can't have everything. I will be rooting for your beloved Jets to beat our loser Titans.

I think I must search for a lovely green and white collar for Shadow, so that we will better color coordinate with each other.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:20:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Love the picture Sandy! Great photo to share with us to get us in the spirit.... Is this the baby I rubbed in your guest bedroom last night???

Dragon, sorry you had to eat your Nuts in misery as your Green thong faded.... I did not watch the game but heard of the outcome. Big Daddy says the Titans won but the Jets should have!!! Hope you did not loose too many Dragon tears in your green beer... You were drinking green beer right???? if you sat too long and got sore, try a little Monkey Butt Rub. I hear it works wonders... and by the way, I was in bed at 1:30am and coughed my head off all night long from the Hot House Sandy calls home! and was up and at em by 6:30 this morning! No pills needed here just some cough drops! saint snored until 9:30 or so...

Alice, The Saint and I were at Cats R Us on Saturday and there is a wonderful kitty waiting for you there!!! I am sorry you were not able to get your little Mittens, but I think this may have happend for a reason... The reason would be the adorable little kitten that won us all over on Saturday. I wanted to bring her or him (not really sure if male or female) home with me due to that cute adorable little face and those beautiful gray blue eyes! The little playful thing was looking really hard for a new home with us! She was meowing like crazy and sticking that paw out at anyone near the kennel. Stacey took her out of the kennel to entice me to adopt her but I went to the shelter to help the baby's and knowing I could not take one back to Georgia with me. As soon as Stacey picked the little ball of fur up, she started to purr contently and laid that little head on her arm.. You could be her new loving mommy! The nicknamed her Roxie at my request so I could follow her story with an adoption... so please get to Cats R us and check out little Roxie... she will melt your heart as she did ours. I totally believe everything happens for a reason and I think your loss of Mittens is due to your addition of "Roxie" to be named by her new family..... Sandy has a picture of the baby so get her to send you a peek....

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:23:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I will email Alice the photo of Roxy the kitty that was so wonderful!

Monday, December 24, 2007 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Whisper said...

Sounds good to ME!

You don't suppose Cats R Us delivers do you?

Monday, December 24, 2007 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

If i were here longer, I would deliver for you Alice!!! But departing morning after 25th...

Hey Pet People.... Who can make a special delivery of a cute adorable baby kitty to Alice??? The Saint and i are departing the morning after Christmas so not possilbe for us... Surely someone will get that baby to you Alice.. Stacey, Sandy, Brett, what ya say???

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Alice, if you can work it out with Suzanne or Gherta, one of us will gladly deliver to you!!!! I'll be happy to do it myself! That Roxie is a LOVE!!! What a precious little baby!! B and Jeremy and Pam would be good character references for you with the ladies, since they are so involved with the rescue. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

*sigh* I just called and a machine said no one was available to talk and to call back again. I was hoping Roxie would be a Christmas present for me. Th professor was disappointed that he couldn't find something special for me (as if this spiffy new computer wasn't enough!!!)

Oh well... I'll try again after Christmas. They have me on file there because we adopted Herbie (aka Thumper) from them and I can pay the adoption fee via PayPal. Saturday would be the next day the professor has off where he could take me anywhere.

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:23:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Alice, Not sure that Gherta or Suzanne will know which baby is Roxie as we Pet People working on Saturday kind of named her. But Brett and Jeremy are in there every weekend and they know which one she is so make sure they get you to the right baby! This kitty is a little doll with the cutest little face you ever saw!!! Good Luck and keep us posted....

Monday, December 24, 2007 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I emailed Alice her picture, as I took pictures the Saturday we were there of lots of kitties.I didn't hear from her so I don't know if she got it. Alice, did you??? I'm guessing I should not put Roxy up on their Web site?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:43:00 AM  
Blogger Whisper said...

There was no answer on the phone when I called yesterday so I must have called too late. Saturday is the earliest day we can get there. I'll be sure to let you all know what happens!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation