The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Sunday, December 09, 2007

More Snow







Skeeter asked the question about having any good pictures of our pets in the snow. These are my favorite pictures I have of Copper.
As some of you know, Copper was the Foreman's first dog and we lost him 2 months before the Foreman lost his father to cancer 2002. He was devastated. My mother was watching Copper and Stella while we were in Alabama with the Foreman's father. He got into my mother's chicken coop and killed all but 1 of her chickens. He died of internal bleeding. I think his stomach was punctured from the chicken bones.
We called Copper “Twinkle Toes” He was the only dog I have ever known that tried to tip toe through the snow. He liked to bury his nose in the snow but hated standing in it. He would actually pick his feet up one at a time. He was quite the comic. He couldn't walk on tile either. He would extend his claws and end up sliding like he was ice. It became such a problem when we took him to PetsMart that we would put him in a shopping cart. Have you ever seen a 60 lb dog in a shopping cart? HE LOVED IT! He was the happiest dog, loved everybody.
These pictures were taken during a horrible Colorado snow storm in 1998. At this time we were at the 24 inch mark. I think we ended up with a total of 38 inches. The Foreman had to shovel the snow off the roof of the house because of the weight. I got my car stuck in the driveway and nobody went to work for 3 days. They closed the roads to everyone except essential personnel. I think the Foreman actually walked to the grocery store. We have had many crazy experiences in the Colorado snow. Once when the Foreman was chased by a lost herd of cattle in a snow storm. But that's a story for another time.

I do want to mention that I have a new addiction that is consuming most of my time now. It's called Freecycle. I don't know if they have this in ya'lls area, but basically, it is a place were you can post items that are still in good use that you no longer want and don't want them to end up in the trash or a landfill. You post an OFFER and people respond to you add. You can do a first come, first serve or what ever feels right. Once you have decided who the recipient is, you send them your address and it's there responsibility to pick up. They have to give you a date and time of course. You can put the item on your front porch, so you don't have to interact with them if you don't want to. Once the item has been picked up, you post TAKEN on you add. You can also post a WANTED item. The catch is you have to sign up for a Yahoo email (it's free) and then request to join the Freecycle group in you area. It cures my shopping addiction! LOL! I have already received quite a few great items. If any of you are interested in it, the web address is http://www.freecycle.org/ You can look to see if there is one in your area before you try to sign up, go to Browse. Check it out. It's a great thing!

posted by Adrienne at 12/09/2007 08:29:00 PM

13 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I remember you telling the story of Copper a while back. Poor baby. How old was he when he died?

I've heard of Freecycle. That would be good for shelters to look at for things then need.

Oh,and you better not let that take you away from your time here. Pet People come first! LOL.

Sunday, December 09, 2007 11:48:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Hi Adrienne,
So sorry about the loss of your dog. It is tragic. Especially for your mother who watching the dog. Once, when we were out of the country, a lady watching our little one let him off the leash where he promptly ran into a car. Broken pelvis and a couple hundred dollars later she had him fixed as best as could be. It was so hard on her and me when I found out!

I too am a member of Freecycle. I absolutely love it. I have talked about it before on my blog. I have gotten so many things for the garden-all free. It is good you are putting out the word. I had never heard of it prior to this year.

Again, sorry for the loss of Copper and the Foreman's father.

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:39:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

It does not look as though Cooper is having any trouble running in the snow in that picture! I do recall you mentioning the tragic story of Cooper and the chickens a while back. It is such a sad loss for your family. I am truly sorry as that must have been awful for everyone….

I have not forgotten to call you for advice on Minnie and her cat issues, I have been really busy lately but things are starting to slow down…. What I the best time of day to call?

I was going to mention that Clarksville does have the Freecycle thing because Tina talks about it at times on her "In the Garden" blog and her she is telling you herself! Tina is also a Pet People with her many pets...

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Copper was 6 when we lost him, But 2 in the pictures.

Skeeter,I'm home most of the day now, so you can call anytime. I'll email you my digits.

Freecycle is great. I'm becoming a junky and there may have to be an intervention! LOL! But I'll always put pet people first as you all are family!

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger tina said...

Freecycle is great and they even let you give away pets! At least the Clarksville group does. Each group is different. Do they do that where you are Adrienne?

I told my neighbor about a chesapeake bay retriever someone was advertising on freecycle. They actually adopted him. Now the dog is here and is not friendly at all. I think he hates me and I so totally do love dogs so my feelings are hurt. I am surprised he is like that and want to tell the foolish thing the only reason he has a home is because I facilitated it for his new mommy and daddy. Now I just ignore him. Maybe someday he will come around but I doubt it, because of my dogs I think he feels threatened.

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm not sure if you can list pets. I know when I signed up they said something about not listing things like free cars, so who knows.

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:29:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Each group is different depending on the moderators. I am a member of two groups and they are VERY different.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:58:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

They let you give away pets? I think that's terrible. No pet should be advertised as "free to a good home." Why? Because people who fight dogs often get "free" dogs to use as the training bait. You should always list a price, because anyone wanting a dog should expect to pay for an adoption fee or whatever. If you then meet the people and find them acceptable, you can waive the fee.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:51:00 AM  
Blogger Whisper said...

::grumble:: I went and signed up at Clarksville Freecycle on Monday and I am STILL waiting to be approved...

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Alice, I tried to check out the sight to see what type of things they offer in our area but they want me to get an account! Saint is not too crazy about getting acounts due to Spam, Spyware and other junk being put on our puter so I am not sure I will be checking it out any further. I may have him research it a bit to see if it is safe enough for me to get an account....

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:05:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Skeeter, you need to sign up for a free hotmail, yahoo or aol email address, then do all that kind of stuff using THAT address. Your personal, ISP email don't use on any of those types of sites. Then you don't have to worry about spam and all that. And if you have standard anti-virus, anti-spam stuff, like from Norton and keep in updated, you dont' have to worry.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Yeah, i know.. I am thinking the Saint just does not want me on the sight for fear it will entail more work on him if I find something I just have to have.... LOL

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:52:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Skeeter, Just do what I have and get him involved with it by finding something that he would like to have. I got the Foreman a CAD Board for his PC that he can do Blueprints on at home. He loves it. Now he wants to know what else there is.. Last night he went and picked items up for me. You just have to work him in slowly. LOL!

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation