The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Pet Emergencies!



My sis, Daisy, is a good gift-giver, and this year, she was pretty darn funny, sending along with the pet toys and gift cards a Pet Safety Kit. Now what do you think prompted that? As you can see from the photo, Peanut's ear is doing well. The scab is just about all gone. I don't know if hair will grow back after the skinning, but hey, scars add character, as those of us of a certain middle age know all too well, right? The kit has antiseptic towelettes and ointment, tweezers, cotton balls, gauze bandages, tape and an instant ice pack. Of course, you can use human products like neosporin for cuts, etc. I think it's also good to have something to stop bleeding, like guys use for shaving, if your vet OKs use of such things.

But it got me to thinking: Are we pet owners prepared for pet emergencies? Do you have the vet's phone number handy? Do you have supplies on hand to treat wounds? To stop bleeding? It's not only fights that cause wounds--they can cut their paws on walks, for example. Did you ever have a home incident that you had to treat?

It also got me thinking about what would happen if something happened to us? Who would take care of your pets? Do friends or family have keys? Info on your vet? I often think of this, especially since my family lives far away and The Boss's family aren't Pet People! What about when we are old and on our way out--do you have plans in place for your pets?

My will names Daisy as executor and I have allotted funds for my vet (who is also listed) to take care of the pets until she can make arrangements for them. One of you Pet People will have to help too until she can get here! I'll have to give one of you a key, now that you all know where I live!

posted by Sandy at 12/29/2007 12:16:00 PM

12 Comments:

Blogger Daisylouu said...

I am NOT prepared for emergencies. I thank God for the internet because that's how I would research how to deal with most things I'm not sure about. My greatest fear is dealing with a severe emergency with my pets. You can't call an ambulance. So if my pet was squealing in pain, I want instant relief for them. And if something happens to me, how on earth would THE BOSS let you have my two dogs AND three cats to care for until you find them perfect homes??

Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:14:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Did you get any good Christmas cards from sis Sandy???

My babies think they are in dire straights now with a dog taking over their sunroom! They have been following me as I take down Christmas decorations in the rest of the house. The Saint is in the sunroom with Minnie Dog. She is doing well but we will not let her out of the room for now. We want her to understand that now we are here mommy and daddy and what we say goes... Mom and Dad B have issues with keeping her away from the table while we eat. Funny thing, we did not have that problem! I gave her a treat as we sat down to eat dinner and told her to stay on her bed. She ate it and then started to us and I gave a stern NO and pointed to her bed and she went back to her bed. That dog has been working her mommy and daddy but she will not work us as the rules will be the rules in this house. She is doing well so far.... Once I get the house back ot normal, I will start to work on her with the clicker thing....

I dont have it written anywhere but if anything ever happened to us, I would want my friend that lives in Arkansas to take our girls. She would do anything for them and I know they would be happy with her. She flew me to her house in Arkansas to watch her cat while she went to Germany for two weeks! Now that is an animal lover...

Good gift Daisylouu....

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:09:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandy
In November I took the Pet First Aid + Pet CPR course provided by the American Red Cross. Might be something the Pet People as a group could do together one day.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

The only person I would allow to take all my babies is my mother. If something happened to me she would without question take everyone. If something happened to her, I would take her babies too.

We have an emergancy kit in the house that we put together ourselves based on past issues we've had. It is basically the same as a human kit, not really much difference and cost less than buying one.

I'm leaving for the land of frozen tundra tomorrow for a week. I won't be back until the 8th. It hasn't been above 30* there in over a month. I may get frost bite. LOL! They have crazy amounts of snow and I'm sure I will be hiking up my mother's driveway. (Great for the asthma... cold air, a small mountain and high altitude!) LOL! I'm stressed that The Foreman will be the soul caretaker. He's just not mom! Only mom does everything right! HA!

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:43:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Happy Trails Adrienne....
I had the windows open to the house today and short on while taking down Christmas decorations!

Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Rozanne, just shut up! We're all going to come down there and take turns beating you if you keep talking about your nice warm weather!
I like Ginger's idea of us Pet People taking the first aid course together as a group. We need to make a plan.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:20:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Roxanne, Ican't spell!

Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:21:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Dragon taking "Kitty Cat" CPR...
Look out girls.....

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I got a TERRIBLE card from sis! I can't believe she sent that out to people! But you know what they say about payback! :) And as I said, I have photo shop to touch things up! LOL.

Yes, it would be fun to take such a class together. I wonder how often the Red Cross has such a class?

Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Daisylouu said...

That card was funny and YOU know it sis. That's what you get for falling asleep while I sat up by myself. And I didn't have to photoshop anything, ha ha!

I hope you have a fun and safe trip Adrienne!

Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Sandy, lighten up. We had fun bugging you about it. It is not a TERRIBLE card. I thought it was great for Daisylouu to send us all a wonderful Christmas card. Oh by the way, our Christmas card is still up for all to see.

Oh yes, one more thing, we never posted it on blog. Not yet anyways.

Two more things. Wifey-pooh is still sick. She must be really sick, because when I get out of the shower, and I have to get my own towel. She probably needs to be in the hospital.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:50:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Poor little selfish Dragon.. Wifey pooh is sick and all he can think of is that she will not play fetch with him... Train one of the fur babies to fetch a towel to dry your scaly butt!!!

Hey Dragon and Guinevere, my girls like the treats that your furry ones gave them for Christmas. I have them upstairs on the desk munching them as I type. They are hiding from the big Black Doggie and the Saint. Sheba is sooooo offended with the Saint spending more time with Minnie then her.. Jealous cat she seems to be… I have been trying to make up for the neglect by giving them tons of attention but tomorrow, I am home alone so don’t know how it will work out… One day down and 8 to go….

Sunday, December 30, 2007 5:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation