The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Vick got his just desserts

I guess you all heard that Michael Vick got sentenced to 23 months for his vile disgusting dog-fighting operation. Boo hoo. I sincerely hope he never plays football again. That he'll get out of shape and practice in prison and that no one will want a PR nightmare when he gets out.

What bothered me is that the news talked about how he had to apologize to fans, friends, family. WHAT? He owes his apologies to the dogs AND to the animal-welfare people who had to clean up his inhumane crime scene.

After my 5-second dog fight today, and how terrible it was to deal with that little spat, I thought, "HOW THE HELL can anyone WANT to go to a dog fight and witness brutal fighting and blood and yelps of pain for hours on end? I read in a Humane Society publication that their undercover agents had witnessed two dogs fighting for HOURS. And people brought their kids, as if it was a Disney movie. Viler humans do not exist than people who watch any kind of pain for pleasure.

So, when people look down on me for caring so much about animals, and how humans are so much more worthy of my concern and charity, I can look them in the eye and tell them they are full of you-know what.

Another thing I thought of after the Peanut ear incident: Do dogs forgive or forget? Or both? A minute after the brawl they were back to normal. Sniffing each other, running in the yard, etc.

Dogs, with people, are far more forgiving than humans are, and less cruel. Dogs will even wag their tail in hopes of love at the approach of an owner who beats them or is cruel to them.

I often think dogs and other companion animals show more of what God's nature is than we humans. They haven't "sinned" and don't need salvation, if you are of that belief system. I think God has them test us, to test our compassion and love. And far too many humans, the likes of Vick and others who abuse and neglect in other ways, have FLUNKED the test.

So, if I could only save one from a fire, and the choice was a loving, loyal and forgiving dog, or someone like Vick, guess who'd be toast? And I wouldn't feel conflicted in the least. Spirits live in all creatures, something many forget.

posted by Sandy at 12/11/2007 11:16:00 PM

13 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

This story has pretty much been in the papers down here in Falcon land on a daily basis since the story broke a while back. They have stayed on top of it and now justice is being served for the furry innocent baby's that Vick and his posse abused! I do not think this will be the end of it as more charges may be placed upon his guilty self. In my opinion, he is not sorry he committed such acts of violence on an animal, he is sorry he got caught! Now he has time to sit and think about his past and decide if he truly wants to change and be a better person. I doubt he will change though. Once a thug, always a thug to animals! Arggggggggg…

News reported the coach of the Falcons resigned today!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:40:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I don't think 23 months and 3 years of probation is nearly long enough! And with good behavior he can be out in 18 months. THATS CRAP! Maybe "Big Buba" will make him their girlfriend.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Be sure to check out today's Living section for Sandy's column all about Shadow and her new home!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

OH GOD!!!! Stacey you crack me up!! Two big dark blog comments and then yours "hey! go look at my cat in the paper!" I burst out laughing just now! Thats just to funny!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Whisper said...

This is off topic... sorry... You guys have pretty much expressed how *I* feel about Vick...

We have been approved to adopt Mittens! We are hoping to bring him home on Saturday, still figuring a way to get us together. I am hoping we can pick him up at the Mega Yard Sale.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Sandy about all you just said AMEN!
I heard Vick was losing all his adorsements and was going to ahve to pay back the money he was given already for this last year so hope that's true. And Adrienne I agree taht wasn't nearly a long enough sentence and I say Big Bubba bring it on, be very very lonely and lick your slobering lips when you see Vick coming! A good present for you! Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas Big Bubba!!!!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Alice, sweet Alice--I am so HAPPY THAT YOU GOT YOUR MITTENS!!! Especially since it's going to be cold-LOL! WONDERFUL for Mittens and that Christmas will be little more special for you both this year!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:10:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

I like the way you put that B!!! That is cute... Alice, you and the Professor sure do love your furry friends to keep getting so many. Soon we will have to call you the Cat Lady! Wait, your email address is something on that line… LOL just joking here. I would have a dozen if our life style would allow it. But if we had them now, then we would not get to TN as often as we do... Sniff.... I will wait until we are in our forever place then get a dozen cats and dogs and maybe a pot belly pig in need!

Anyway, glad you are adding more love into your home...

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:12:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

Thanks B and Skeeter! Yes, we are so blessed to be able to fill our home to the brim with love. I have a coffee mug that says "one can never have TOO many cats"

I think we've reached our limit with Mittens. I feel like the Pied Piper walking through the house now with a trail of animals behind me.

I see all the Santa Paws fosters have been gifted! That is SO wonderful!! While the fosters are lucky to have temporary homes, I hope they all find forever homes...

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:22:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

That's great Alice! I can't wait to hear how she fits in with the rest of the gang.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

Mittens has a cold and is taking meds so the adoption won't be taking place until next Sunday. I didn't want to take the chance that Mittens could pass on the bug to my kitties. So in a week Mittens should be all better and coming home with us. I'll keep you posted!

Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:22:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Alice, tell us more about your new doggie from Kentucky! What did you name her again? Nikki, right?

Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Poor wittle mittens....
Hurry up and get better soon you have a new home waiting for you...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation