The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Everyone Can Make Pet Resolutions

Since The Boss always says I love being in charge and telling people what to do (especially him), I thought I’d go all the way and make New Year’s resolutions for not only myself, but for others as well.

Me: I will put myself, family and pets on top of my daily “to do” list. After feeding the dogs and drinking my morning coffee, I always check e-mail, which gets me off track because it’s usually filled with animal-related issues or other volunteer tasks I’ve roped myself into. Before I know it, it’s time to get ready for work, and I’ve done nothing around the house.

Instead, I’ll first do yoga and walk the dogs. I will try to be more patient with my mother, The Boss and my pets, friends and coworkers. I also will try to think before I speak, something I’ve been struggling to do since kindergarten.

The Boss: I resolve to keep my trap shut and not complain about the wife’s spending when it comes to our dogs, cats and animal-rescue causes. I realize I spend far more on my own rescues (old Mustangs, Comets and Cyclones) than she does on homeless hounds and forgotten felines.

I will count my blessings that I’m married to a tomboy wife who doesn’t spend money on fancy clothes, a sea of shoes, manicures, hair-dos or tanning. I will remind myself of this fact every time I see “PetSmart” or “Humane Society” listed in the check register.

I will repeat daily this wise mantra from one of my favorite TV shows: Resistance is futile.

The dogs: I, Zoe, resolve not to whine like an annyong tot in Wal-Mart as I greet Mommy when she comes home from work so Daddy can sleep through the night for once.
I, Peanut, resolve to not be such a pig about food. When someone gives me a treat, I will not snatch two of their fingers along with the doggie jerky.

I, Scooter, will help Daddy not to curse as much by not digging holes in the yard that ensnare middle-aged ankles. I also pledge to scratch at the door to go outside only 10 times a night instead of 100, and I promise to bark only at intruders, not deer or squirrels.

The cats, Tarzan and Catfish: We are perfect. Resolutions are beneath us.

Pet owners and those thinking of becoming pet owners:
I will think long and hard before bringing home a pet. I will choose a pet based on my lifestyle, home, family and work schedule and understand I am responsible for the pet for its lifetime.

I will adopt a pet from a shelter, breed rescue or professional breeder and not a perpetuator-of-puppy-mills pet store or backyard breeder who churns out animals for profit without regard to health and genetics.

I will not inhumanely chain my dog to a doghouse or tree 24/7. I like being warm in winter and cool in summer, with a roof over my head and food in my belly and realize my dog needs and deserves no less.

I like to love and be loved, have friends and socialize, and I realize a dog, too, needs to be part of a family and enjoy exercise, love and attention.
I will spay and neuter my pets, because I know millions of loving, healthy animals are put down every year because of irresponsible humans. I also will make sure my pet sees the vet for annual vaccines.

If I can’t do these things, I will not get a pet, only to later dump it on others.

County commissioners: We realize a new county animal shelter is only the first step of what we must to do to address the severe animal-control problem in our county, because we’ve neglected it for decades.

We know we must approve more funding to properly staff and equip the department so it can deal with a population that has exploded since the 1970s. We are ashamed our county euthanizes pets at twice the national average and finally grasp that animal-control services are a matter of public safety.

We vow to join the 21st century and the rest of America in implementing pet licensing, listening to those who have worked with animal issues for years and not the least informed simply because they cry about “new taxes.”

People without pets: Even though we don’t have pets, we won’t ignore animal neglect and abuse in our neighborhoods and will report to the county animal shelter, Police Department or Sheriff’s Office any animal not being fed, sheltered, controlled or cared for.

I wish everyone a very happy New Year, especially our four-legged companions who treat us better than many of us treat them.

posted by Sandy at 1/02/2008 12:04:00 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger B said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Pet People!!!! Jeremy and I spent the New Year a little pn the "pam" side of life, but we didn't have any mishaps. We cabbed it there and back as the police were EVERYWHERE doing a good job at keeping citizens safe. The only crappy thing about New Years was that the bar has went NON SMOKING and I thought I was going to die. We had a wonderful time and had a safe ride and a whole day of sleep and relaxation to boot. Bad thing is , I didn't get the Christmas junk took down, but I can do that this weekend. No resolutions on this end--just to try and be a better person and pay off some bills.
Hope you all had a happy and Stacey-feel better!

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

My New Years Resolution...
Never own a large hound dog puppy!
It was below freezing this morning and I had to bundle up to walk that monster girl....
Not what this warm natured Southern gal wanted to do today.
I want my living room fire place back and my girls want their sunroom back!
I dont usually make New Years Resolutions because I never follow through with them but this year, I will follow through and not be the owner of a large puppy! Why couldn’t Mom B fall for a cute little lap dog?

The Saint was laughing all the way to work this morning knowing he is getting a break with some peace and quiet in the office while I have to deal with the one full of energy....

Glad you got home safely B from your New Years celebration….

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

This is where a fence comes in handy Skeeter. The dog goes out, you stay in! I couldn't have a dog if I had to take it out to do it's business!

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger dragon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:11:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Shadow takes exception with Tarzan & Catfish's statement that they are perfect. She is still in therapy classes but doing much better now. Shadow reminds everyone that the perfect cats were such self centered mama boys that they refussed to share their home with a wonderful young girl ! What's up with that ?

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:31:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Some boys don't like girls, it's that simple!

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:52:00 PM  
Blogger k9rescue said...

This was a kick a$$ blog posting, Sandy - your best ever, I think! Happy New Year, everyone!

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation