The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Frozen in Colorado, By Adrienne



I just got back from my trip to Colorado where I spent an entire week freezing my hiney off! I was so glad to be back in VA! It was 78* Tuesday. I now have a slight cold from all the temperature changes. It snowed Saturday, 3 inches and started snowing Monday just as I was boarding the plane. That just added to there already 12 inches.

While I was there I got a new puppy for my mom for her birthday. Hannah is a 15 week old Red Merell Australian Shepard. Mom wanted a new puppy for agility since she has to retire Indigo do to hip dysplaysia. Indigo is only 2 and will have to have hip replacement surgery. She will only be able to compete in a senior division after the surgery, but she will live a long and hopefully pain free life! Mom has started competing in agility with her 5 year old Golden, Cody. He won his first title in his first competition. YEAH MOM!! Now she has her hands full with Hannah. I am so glad she is not my puppy. She is too smart for her own good. We had her house trained in 3 days and she was already learning basic commands. On the other had she is into everything, food aggressive and toy possessive. I wish her all the best!

Mom is also fostering Tonka, a 14 month old Husky. He is the sweetest dog I have ever met. He's also full of energy just like a puppy. He is so gentle when he takes food, you almost have to put the food in his mouth. He loves to cuddle and run in the snow. He's probably the best puppy I have ever met. He does have a sad start to life. He was first purchased by a mother who's son wanted a puppy, but he didn't want to bother with him, so he was left in a kennel most of the day. So his mother found him another home. Home 2 wasn't much better. Dad was a single parent and when Tonka became too much for him to handle, he and his daughter started to fight about getting rid of him. So the daughter ran away from home and took the dog with her. Which is how my mom ended up with him. The daughter was staying at her boyfriends house, which is next to my mothers. The daughter left him tied up to a tree in the back and he would sit there and howl. One night after listening to him howling, my mom went down to the house. All the lights were off and his water was frozen, nobody was home. Mom took him off the tree and back to her house. He has been there ever since. No one has come to look for him.

Now she says is going to have him posted on a local web site that a friend of hers does for pets. But I know my mom and I think Tonka is a permanent family member. He fits in so well and I know she is attached to him. If I didn't have 4 dogs already, I would have brought him home with me. Tonka and Hunter would be great together! So with Tonka that makes 5 dogs, 3 chickens and 2 ducks!


The other picture is of Mt. Princeton. We took it on the drive to pick up Hannah. Can you say COLD?








posted by Adrienne at 1/09/2008 09:00:00 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

What beautiful pictures! We missed you on the blog.

What a sad story about Tonka. See, that's my problem with people! They often want a breed because it's a "cool" looking dog or other equally dumb reasons and then they don't realize what the breed's needs are! God, poor thing tying it to a tree. How people live with themselves I don't know.

So how are your own pets doing?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:08:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Don't even get me started on tying dogs to trees! I had my expeience with that and hope never to ahve to deal with taht again!
Poor Tonks, so beautiful too! At least he has a wonderful home now and probablly a permannet one too, sure hope so for his sake. Keep us posted Adrienne.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

All my kiddos are good. The Foreman said they were all mopy while I was gone. I was throughly licked and rubbed on when I got home. Right now they are avoiding me b/c i have to nail clippers and brushes out. LOL!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Adrienne, since you did not stipulate who did the licking and rubbing, oh never mind... I will let Dragon touch upon that one.... Maybe he will write you a poem….

Love the snow pictures but Christmas is for snow and now Christmas is over so I dont want any snow... Doubt any will fall in GA. I have the windows open and the girls are enjoying the fresh air!

The dogs are beautiful! Poor Tonka! Just sickens me to no end hearing story after story such as yours. I agree, I don’t know how people can sleep at night while a dog is tied to a tree! Argggggg

On our news today, they reported finding another Dog Fighting set up here in Augusta! I caught the end of the story but I believe they said 18 Pit Bulls involved. With all the Vick stuff reported here in GA and some idiots are still doing it… Just burns me up!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:43:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Follow up to the dog fighting ring here in Augusta.
Tonight they are reporting they were not a fighting ring just malnutrition animals that were not being properly taken care of. Animal control was called after neighbors heard a vicious fight. Yeah right. They just did a good job of hiding the evidence I bet.... They will probably be charged (if charged) with neglect instead of a harsher crime… I will see what the paper has to say tomorrow…. argggggg

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:04:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Little blurb in the paper this morning...
Dont think the humans (if you want to call them that) will have any charges on them and 4 had to be put down... argggggg

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Daisylouu said...

Adrienne, the pix are awesome. So sad how many dogs don't get a happy ending like Tonka. We just had a story in our paper from our local shelter about a shepard mix "Leroy". He lived on the end of a chain his entire life, ended up at the shelter when he turned 12, lived there for 2 years, and now, at the old age of 14, he finally got his first experience of living inside and cuddling with someone.

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation