The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Me and My Shadow By Dragon


I know it is hard to believe that I would put my own picture on the blog, wearing glasses no less. Right, Skeeter? But, when it comes down to showing how me and my Shadow surf the Internet together, I couldn’t resist. As you can see, my Shadow enjoys reading over my shoulder. She says the angle is better there than reading from my lap. Less glare.

Now, I want to tell you all about the story that really captured Shadow’s attention, that she wanted me to share with the Pet People. We were reading The Tennessean, Nashville’s newspaper, to keep up on current events. We always love to read the Letters to the Editor, because those folks in Nashville don’t have a lick of sense. It’s always good for a laugh.

But, tonight, Shadow saw a letter that saddened her terribly. After all the wonderful people she has met in her short life, even including the Crazy Lady, she couldn’t believe there are horrible humans that think pets aren’t people too. I am pasting the letter below for you all to read:


"Valuing pets over humans is shameful"

It says a lot about the direction our country is going that while 40 million people are without health-care coverage, employers are increasingly paying for insurance coverage to provide health benefits for pets of employees ("More employers offer health insurance for pets," Jan. 18) Veterinary Pet Insurance, the nation's largest pet insurer, reports that pet insurance for health care is growing, and that about 15 percent of their pet insurance policies are funded by corporate accounts. It may be that corporations must be allowed to make their own rules on issues like this, but that doesn't mean that there should not be a public outcry over the inhumanness of this trend. The shame of their actions scars us all. Said simply, I find it immoral to value animal care more than the care of human beings in our health-care system no matter who is paying the bills.

GXX TXXXXXXXXX (name was changed to protect the ignorant)
Nashville 37215


As for me myself, I was taken aback by the fact that companies would provide pet insurance for their employees. After all, many companies don’t offer coverage for the employees, let alone pets. If my company offered pet insurance, heck yeah I’d take it. I have 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 1 wife to take care of. I need all the help I can get.

But, Shadow pointed out to me that wasn’t the point of the letter that bothered her. It was the writer’s attitude about “inhumanness” of providing for pets. Why does it always have to be either or? Why can’t humans take care of each other AND their four legged brethren? You never find a pet lover saying that people should forsake feeding starving children just to feed a stray pet. Shadow thinks that says a lot about the character of pet lovers versus the other type of people.

So, I’m curious now. I guess I have heard of it, but I‘ve never known much about it. Do any of you Pet People have pet insurance? If so, where did you get it and how much does it cost? What kinds of things does it cover? Illness, injuries, vaccines, surgeries? Say, for example, if a pet were to have a bad landing from a CAT-A-PULT throw, would it cover that?

This is a personal note to my sister, who I introduced to the Pet People world recently. You need to sign up and register, so that you can post comments with us here. I already have a screen name for you: Fat Mama.

posted by dragon at 1/22/2008 07:10:00 PM

15 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Great topic Dragon and GREAT picture. It makes me so happy to see the cat formerly known as Tweety so happy!

The letter writer is ignorant, because he or she can't grasp a simple fact. Any employer who is offering such insurance for pets is obviously providing insurance for PEOPLE. They wouldn't give it for pets and NOT people. His beef is with companies who DON'T. That is a different topic. A company has a right to give whatever benefits it wants. GOOD companies care about their workers and get and keep good workers by offering extras. Good for them.

You are right. The either or argument is often used when it comes to animal topics and simply shows the ignorance of those using fallacious arguments.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Thank you Crazy Lady, I mean Sandy, for complimenting me on my post.

Skeeter if you look in the lower left hand corner of the picture, that is the article in the paper that you will soon be receiving in the mail. Ignore all the rest of the crap on the desk. Did you notice the ace bandage on the desk? That is from where wifey-poo worked me to the bone while she was sick. I'm still recovering.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:37:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

I think Shadow smells tuna fish in your hair.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Okay, I must admit I clicked on the picture to try and spot more ammunition on the old Dragon, but the only thing I can spot is the beautiful flowers by his side and a hand written something or another beside the computer that reads something like “Pagan Laws”... I will let my imagination wander a bit on that one…

If you click on the picture, it will make it larger and look at Shadows mouth! I swear it looks as though she is talking to Dragon! Too cute a picture and showing your softer side old Scaly one! And to think, I was nice and never posted any of the wonderful pictures I have with you wearing glasses! LOL… One day…. One day….

As far as the letter to the editor, it is another case of an idiot only reading half an article and coming to her own conclusions without research or taking the time to really listen to what she read or heard! She just flew off the handle and wrote a stupid letter! I think that if an employer offers pet insurance, that is great! I am sure they also offer Human insurance as well. The pet insurance is just another benefit of a company or person trying to keep employees happy with wonderful benefits!

In Germany most every one has insurance for their pets! I am not sure if it is mandatory or not but all the Germans I knew had it. They also enroll their pets in obedience classes to properly train them! They also do not have a Stray problem in that country as of the year 2000 when we parted there. People in Germany are held accountable for the actions of their pets. Our friends had insurance on Lobo the Sheppard/ Lab mix I have posted about before, anyway, one time he scratched up a brand new Mercedes of the owners brother in law and her insurance paid to repair the damages… If your cat gets to the goldfish pond next door and munches down, the cat owners must pay for the damages! Too bad these laws don’t exist in this country!

Dragon, I will be looking for that article… Don’t be too harsh on the Secretary if it is not mailed on time… LOL…

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:24:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Dragon, You can google pet insurance and get a list of information. I have looked into for our kiddos especially for Stella since nothing is cheap when it comes to the vet care for a St. It is really inexpensive and just like our insurance, you can pick a plan that you think covers what you need. The only problem is that not all vets accept the insurance so you would have to find out if your vet does.

I agree with Sandy that the person who wrote that was just ignorant! I would love for my employer to offer pet insurance. If more people cared for there pets the way they cared for themselves, we wouldn't have the problems we have. Until people are acuratly held responsible for there treatment of animals we will always have people who think the way this author does. Maybe there should be a law to intruduce some kind of animal education in schools, b/c educated people make better decisions. They should not be taking programs out of schools like 4H and FFA.(just my feelings on education)

As much as I like the freedoms I have by living in the US, I have often thought that I would be much happier living overseas. They are freeer in ways that we are not, such as with pets and medicine.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:46:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

The reason we don't have accountability for pets in this country is because every idiot and moron would file a law suit if your dog looked at them funny. Then the idiots and morons in the court room would award some git your entire life savings, home and future earnings because "that dog had a mean look in it's eye and I was emotionally distressed because it looked at me!"
People wouldn't have pets because it would be a four legged liability that people could not afford. OK--I know thats a little far fetched--but it's stupid stuff like it happens every day.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger dragon said...

Skeeter, what you saw, or what you thought you saw that said “Pagen Laws” said no such thing. I must correct this misconception before the religious fruitcake nutjob zealots come to my house with burning torches and pitchforks to save my soul from eternal damnation. Or they will send me there trying. What it actually says is “For Dragon Claws”. It is my CD of real music that B made for me when he gave you all those pansy wansy Christmas CD’s.

I have been meaning to tell B thanks for such a wonderful CD. But, you all know the ordeal I have gone through with Wifey Pooh and her illness and then the super sized version she gave to me. I just haven’t been myself since Christmas. So, B, now that I have the time and I actually remember, thanks very much for my CD. I listen to it often. I like to play it when I am on the computer. I have surround sound hooked up to my computer, so when it is sent through those speakers all around the room, it really rocks.

One of the first things I do every day is read the letters to the editor. It never ceases to amaze me how most people just fire off something totally stupid. No objectivity, no logic, just their usually uninformed opinion. Oh, the uninformed. Those are the people that really frighten me come election time. An uniformed vote is worse than no vote at all.

Skeeter, I am surprised about the amount of pet insurance in Germany. I never expected something like that. Here America is the “land of the free and the greatest nation on earth”, yet European nations seem to be leading the way in many areas. It would be a much nicer world if America would learn to do as it says, and not as it does. Before I get way up on my soapbox and get the political fanatics after me too, I’ll stop there.

Sorry, Alice, no chicken of the sea here. My Shadow just adores me. I can’t help that I am so irresistible. And let me tell all of you that Wifey Pooh is so jealous of my little girl. It just eats her up that Shadow follows me around and wants to be in my lap. Green with envy she is. Or is it my Dragon scales rubbing off on her?

B, hold on to your hat on this one, but I agree with you. Hmmmm….do you think I can sue Skeeter for falsely alleging I had a book called Pagen Laws??? Oh, better yet. I can sue her for Age Discrimination for calling me OLD.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Let's not forget harrassment for making fun of your glasses Dragon!
I am so glad you like you CD. If you send me another list of ideas, I can spin you off another anytime.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:49:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Hey B, I gave you a list of songs and all I got was Christmas CD. Dragon gets a special CD of songs of choice. What makes him so dang special and not me!!! Hun hun hun.?? Now dont get me wrong I love my Christmas songs but only get to listen to them during the holidays. Saint would send me off in a little white jacket if I played them any other time of the year! And thank you for that CD but I must say the stuffed kitty gets more lovins then me lately! Sheba snuggles up with it every day at nap time in her basket in the closet! She loves the thing! I wonder if Zoe’s Slobber smell is still on it? LOL…

Dragon my Pet Bud... Dont worry about anyone trying to come to your house with torches. With all the shiny objects hanging on our wall, a pitchfork would not stand a chance! I assume you collected all that weaponry from Dragon Slayers. Oh you bad to the bone Dragon!

Okay, Mi Lord, I did not mean to offend by calling you old! I think we are close to the same age so remember, if I call you old, I am calling me old too! You would not have a case in court because I would get the winning lawyer Denny Crain! LOL….

Nope it aint Chicken of the sea, it is Shadow jaming out to the CD B made for daddy Dragon...

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Dragon got the special version cuz he played Santa Paws at Pet Smart for us. Sorry Skeeter, I will try to do better.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

I shoveled cat sh!t and scrubbed floors at Cats-R-Us while on my vacation!
I cant help it that I dont live up there and cant do more.
I want a prize! LOL...

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I do it every day that I have off. And I get the same prize that you got-- love.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:07:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Yep B, it is all about the LOVE...

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Since when is a stinky turd all about love? LOL

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:09:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

LOL...Oh Adrienne, you had to be there to understand.
All those precious babies and no one to love them but Gerta, Suzanne and the volunteers that scoop their poop!
I have never had such a heartwarming experience while digging in sand boxes for buried treasures!
All those innocent eyes watching us from perched above on their cat trees.
Poor babies did not have a clue they were homeless…

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation