The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pet Partners


The other day I said to The Boss, "It's going to be so sad for Catfish or Tarzan when one of them dies."

Then he says that I'm so "negative" and why do I think of such things?

Idiot! It's not negative at all. Being negative is assuming the worst in a situation when the outcome can't be known. The fact is, one of the cats will die before the other. And the only reason I mentioned it is because they are so close. I don't even think of that when it comes to the dogs.

I love watching them together. They're always rubbing or licking each others' heads. They often sleep together in the same small cat bed. Of course, like any couple, they have their spats. They also have fun playing and stalking each other.

Have any of you had two pets that were extremely close then lost one? How did the survivor deal and what did you do to make it better?

I have a friend from the Air Force who had two black labs they got together. When both were around 5, one got cancer. Though they tried everything, he died. The other was inconsolable. He wouldn't eat and was clearly depressed. The vet had them try all kind of things to get him to eat, but he kept losing weight. They tried medication. Nothing worked. The vet finally said to get another dog. They got a lab pup and that did the trick. The surviving dog had a friend again and started eating and having fun.

Pets do form close bonds with both other pets and people and can have a hard time getting over a death. I don't know how cats would be, as they are not true pack animals, and I've never had a cat die when I had more than one. I think Catfish would do better than Tarzan. And as you know, it's easier to introduce two dogs than two cats sometimes!

Of course, I would try to find a new friend for the other, unless the survivor was really old.

As to my worrying about things. I do not worry as much as some people do (My Mom and our very own B to name two!). But I do notice that as I get older I think about things, future things, that I never thought of before. I think that is normal, especially when we get of a certain age. Anyone feel the same way?

Above is Catfish, all by himself on the couch as Tarzan does a yard patrol. I wonder what an animal thinks when one leaves? We've all heard about elephants remembering others from decades prior if they meet again, and show true joy when reunited. Or dogs that will lie on an owners grave or keep looking for them after they've died--until they themselves die. Or the poor dog dumped on the side of the road who stays in that one spot, just knowing his person will come for him. Makes me sick! Just goes to show how loyal and loving animals can be, often way above humans. Something everyone should remember.

posted by Sandy at 1/15/2008 02:41:00 PM

10 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Oh, I forgot to say that I am going nuts without a computer at home! Who knows when my modem will come. They said 3-5 days, but that was on a Saturday and no mail Sunday....so, I'm looking at Wed-Fri!

Remember, until I'm back online, e-mail me at work at: sandybritt@theleafchronicle.com.

And if anyone can post topics until then, please do, because sometimes I'm too busy at work to be able to do it!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I admit I am a constant worrier--but I come by it honestly--so were my grandmother and so is my mother!
Anyway, Lucy is the most secure of our bunch. She is ok by herself for awhile. BUt then she starts looking for Charlie. Before Hines came to us, Charlie could not be left with out Lucy. If Jeremy took her to the vet, and I stayed with Charlie, he would wear the carpet out from front door to back looking for her. Hines loves his big borther and sister, but they have always been together, and he's never been on his own since he's been with us. Believe it or not, Pearl is the one who raises the biggest fuss when her "babies" aren't in the house. If they are outside, she cries the entire time until they come back in.
The littel dog that my father had would go sit by the road side. Even though the person who dumped her out is probably the person who put her eye out and messed her leg up, Daddy said he thought she was looking for them.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh B, that is so sad about your Dads little dog, bless it's precious heart!
Sandy, I have told this story before on other posts but since it is exzatly the subject we're on today I will repeat it.
Samantha and Cosette were extremely close! They cuddled just like Tarzan and Catfish do. They loved each othere soooo much! When Cosette diet, Samantha took it very hard. She would go from room to room looking for her and she cried! She would go to all the places where they laid ( is that a correct word ? ) and she would sniff and sniff then look at us and cry more. It was really sad. She grieved almost as much as me and Fly Boy but at least we understood why she was gone. Poor Sammy! Well we finally decided we had to get another cat so that is when we got Brittany. And although they never became close like Sam and Cosette, Brittany provided company for Sam and she seemed happy she was there. That of course was how we then decided to get another cat Brittany's age because she was too wild for Sam. So we adopted Courtney.Samantha loved watching Brittany and Courtney play but yet she wasn't bothered by them. Then of course the next thing you know a bit later we adopted Penelope. Since then our precious Samantha died at age 15 but after having had a life of luxury. I still cry for her as well as Cosette, Tiger, and our dog Max.
Back on subject, Brittany and Courtney groomed each other, cuddled togethere and just loved each other to pieces but as they have gotten older ( now almost 7 ) they no longer like to do that. they will occasionally give each otehr a lick here and there and a few sniffs but they like to lie around by themselves now. Don't know what happened there. Pennelope and Courtney have always had thier spats and pissing contests and sometimes Brittany and Penelope too but they plat together more than they fight. Brittany is the most easy going girl we have though. Courtney is our scardy cat and Penelope is our little spit fire but loves to be loved on. They all have thier own personalities and what they like, just like we people do. But for the subject, I say when one animal dies you need to get a new companion to help your other one or one cope. Plus the new one needs a loving home too. So you're helping more than one.

Sandy, I have The Boss's calender we got him for Christmas so got to see you soon so he'll get some use out ot it,

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I am the complete opposite of a worrier. I don't worry about much. I tend to just roll with it, what ever it is.

Off to the vet. Oscar's inner eyelid on his right eye is swollen and has green goo coming out of it. I'll keep you posted.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Get well soon Oscar!
I worry somewhat but not nearly as much as I did in the past. The Saint has taught me that by reminding me, “You cannot change the unknown”...

My girls are not so dependant on each other as they were when they first arrived at our door step. They hardly ever snuggle together anymore, that is what the Saint and I are for! They don’t follow each other around like they use to nor do they play for long periods of time together anymore. They do sit or lay near each other at times but not like in the past… I am sure they would miss each other if something did happen to one of them but I don’t think it would keep them depressed or anything like that. A vet once said that when one of your pets passes on to the Rainbow Bridge, it is best to allow the other pets to see and sniff the pet so they can better understand. In a way that sounds so yuck, but on the other hand, it does make sense if animals know death by nature…

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

We have sever trama to the eye, (most likly from Hunter) The vet gave me ointment with steroids to use for 10 days. If it doesn't clear up than he suggested surgery. He numbed his eye and was poking around on his eye. Poor baby peed on him self, I would too. Just have to keep Hunter off of him for the next week or so.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:22:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Oh that is horrible Adrienne! Hope the ointment works and no surgery…
And yes, I would probably pee on myself with a poke to the eye too…
That is why I don’t ever run with scissors! LOL

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Dasilylouu, Just to let you know the weather report from GA...
We had snow last night! Just a dusting but enough to get me smiling. I do love to watch the snow falling... No ice but cold and rainy today... YUCK...

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

SNOW.... I'M SICK OF SNOW!! It's snowing now and NOT a dusting. It has dropped 3 inches in the last 4 hours. It's heavy wet crap that makes it interesting to drive in. I sure wish the Foreman would hurry up and get home. My mother said this snow was payback for wearing flip flops on christmas.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation