The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pet People crazier than us


My friend Charlie called me on Saturday to tell me to turn on the National Geographic channel, because there was a show on, "Taboo" about pet owners who were a bit extreme to say the least.

The first segment was about people who had their beloved pets stuffed by a taxidermist. It was rather creepy, because the animals looked so alive. The show featured a woman who was a taxidermist who stuffed her own pets so she could hone her skill. One of her dogs, a miniature greyhound, she mounted just like a deer head! She had to cut off her own dogs head to do it! She had a bunch of pets in a freezer that she was going to eventually mount or stuff.

I believe to each his own, but the whole thing was creepy! I felt like it was preventing owners who lost a beloved pet to finish the grieving process and move on. Another sad thing was a taxidermist who had several dogs who's owners never came to pick them. It was like a shelter for the unwanted, even though they were all dead.

Another segment featured people who had a monkey for a pet, those small kind organ grinders used to have. One single mother had a 3-year-old son and a 14-year-old monkey she treated like a baby. The scary thing about this is that these monkey's--no matter how long they have lived a "human" life, even if raised from birth--are prone to go off on humans. This woman was truly putting her son at risk.

Not all states allow monkey's as pets, and I really think none should. It showed a monkey rescue that took in all the monkeys people gave up after something bad happened. It was really a shame.

So what do you think? I never knew anyone who had a pet stuffed, though I've seen plenty of deer heads on people's walls!

Above is a picture of the three mutts taking a nap. What a life! I could never imagine having them stuffed in one position, and several of the pets that were stuffed in the show were of dogs or cats in a sleeping position.

posted by Sandy at 1/20/2008 02:14:00 PM

12 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Still no new modem at my house! They said three to five days and it didn't happen! So I had to call AGAIN, got the customer service rep in India and while on hold listened to CHRISTMAS music.

I must say the Indian customer service reps are VERY friendly and nice and apologetic. Since he couldn't deal with a mailing issue, he sent me to the "advanced" level and I got some fast-talking Yankee! LOL. He too apologized and told me to call Monday and he'd do whatever report was needed to find out what the heck was going on.

After he told me to call Monday, I asked if he had a number I could call or did I have to go through India again. He gave me a different number with a PIN number, so hopefully I'll get an answer. But this means I still might be without Internet at home for several more days!

Just wanted to keep you all posted. If you need to send me emails, send to my work email or call me! I feel LOST!

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:44:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Poor Sandy, I too would be lost without my puter!
My parents are having computer problems also but think Charter cable is to blame for that one...

I could not imagine having a beloved pet stuffed! Ick! In the sleeping position would make sense for my girls though. Heck all they seem to do at times is sleep!
LOL... Oh, so icky to stuff a fur baby....

Sandy, what about crazy pet lovers that keep ashes of pets in the bedroom???

I have mentioned this before but I do have a pretty white whisker of Skeeters that I found on the floor the day we said goodbye to him....

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I had Tramp cremated and have her urn in the bedroom. I never opened it to look though. I used to think that was creepy, but now I see it differently. I can take her with me and when I go, can have her remains with mine. If we move, I have to leave Penny and Yogi as they are buried in the yard. Having Tramps remains in the urn gave me great comfort after she died. I hugged it and cried and it helped me mourn.

I also have a snip of Tramp's tail hair I keep in a jar with some of Yogi's hair, the Yogi cookie and their name tags.

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Sandy, you are a bit slow today....
I was poking at you because you introduced me to Tramp, the hair, and the cookie on the house tour! I was just messing with you when I asked about the urn in the bedroom to see if I could get you started on a rant... LOL....

I have a friend that has her cats ashes in a box. She carried them all the way from Germany on her lap in the air plane to their new home in AK... she could not decide the best spot for them to be spread in Germany so she decided to take him to their new home and she said she will put him in the garden. They have landscaped the past two years and I bet she still has Bandit in her bedroom with her!

Skeeter will have to stay here in GA when we leave as he is in the back yard. I don’t think I could dig him up and take him with me… Ick again…. But I will be sure to let the new homeowners know he is there. Boy would that be a surprise if they went to plant something and found him wrapped up in his blanket with all his favorite toys! They claim Pirates buried treasure around this area but that would be a treasure they would not want to find!

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:48:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

You see how my mind is gone? I didn't recall until you mentioned it that I gave you the tour!

I know their spirit isn't in the ground, so it can follow us, right?

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Ok--none of my babies will be stuffed. That would be like a horrid reminder that they were gone. I think I could do cremation, but I would rather have them in the back yard. You have to be sneaky with that cuz of the ordinances and such. I haven't had to bury one yet THANK GOD. But to have them with me legally and with no hassles, I'd probably have them cremated.
SANDY -The picture of all your monsters spralled out on the bed is something I can easily identify with. Thats the way we sleep every night--with three dogs and a cat sprawled out between us, on top of us, under us, etc. LOL

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Can we stuff spouses?
The Saint would be perfect stuffed in a position lying on the couch.
That is about all he has done the past week with his cold.
I never slowed down when I had my cold. arggggg. Wimp!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

HEy! You leave Marky Mark alone! I'm sure he's taking a well deserved couch sabaticle!!!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Yeh, I bet you are a secret couch Potato too B.... LOL....

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

The dogs all have their set spots, just like people do at the dinner table. It's so funny. If Zoe isn't in her spot and Peanut jumps on the bed, she gets up quickly and hops over to her spot before Peanut can take it. And sometimes Scooter gets in MY spot, because he likes to push the alpha thing, but all I have to do is snap my finger and he moves to where he belongs!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm sorry, but it takes a sick individual to stuff their pets! And to cut the head off...what is wrong with that woman?

We have an agreement in this house...since the Foreman hunts...The only way he can hang stuffed animal heads on my walls is if I can hang his head on the wall, which would require me to kill him. So I will never have anything stuffed in this house!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:57:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Ther is no secret to it--I am a couch potatoe with DEEP roots

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation