The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sick as a DOG




Where did that saying, "Sick as a dog," come from? Dogs don't get sick in the same way people do as far as colds and flu. Speaking of flu, a lot of nasty stuff is going around. A lot of people are sick at work and The Boss of all people came home yesterday from work a mess. In the 17 years we've lived and worked in Clarksville, I don't think he's taken more than three or four sick days, so you know it's bad when he stays home. According to him, he is "dying." His fever hit 103 last night and he has aches, sore throat, cough and headache. In other words, I have the biggest pain of all: putting up with him. :)This morning he asked me: "Do we have anything to take for this?" Other than putting a pillow over his face for 5 minutes, I don't know what he expects! We have Dayquil, Nyquil and other symptom relievers, but that's all you can do until it runs its course, as well as rest and get plenty of fluids. Doctors can't do anything for you (unless it gets serious with extreme fever or develops into pneumonia), so that is why I won't go to a doctor if sick. As if I'd drive 25 miles when "sick as a dog" with chills, fever and aches to sit in room for 2 hours waiting, just to be told when you finally see the doctor to go home and rest and drink fluids!

But now I am feeling as if I'm coming down with what he has. He works for the school system, and often has to go to different schools, which are the biggest germ factories around! But I must get through work tonight because we are so short handed at the moment and I don't want to put even more stress and work on my fellow copy editors. Hopefully I won't get as bad as him and if I do, it won't be until tomorrow, when I am off.

But dogs do get sick, as we all know with the case of the six Golden Huggs puppies that Tina took under her wing for the rescue and we all tried to help in various ways. The total bill was around $5,000. Sound like a lot? Not when you consider how sick all six were with parvo. The rescue had already taken them into custody before they came down with symtoms and didn't know how much care they'd need. All were at the clinic for many days, on IVs and needed a lot of care. And once you've already spent a fair amount of money on a dog, why put them down? You have to go the distance and do what you can't at that point. Three died, but CJ, Bruiser and Baby have pulled through. CJ and Bruiser, I believe have been altered already and CJ should be next (she has a few extra problems to clear up first). Transport has been arranged for early March I think. Tina, if you get a chance, fill us in.

Soutside discouted the bill A LOT, but that still left about $3,000. Donations from readers and Pet People came in at $850, so there is still about $2,000 left for the recue to pay. So, if anyone wants to put part of their promised tax rebate check to the cause when they arrive ($600 for individuals, $1,200 for couples last I heard), please do so. The clinic will let them pay off the bill over time, but they also have many other dogs to care for in the meantime. CJ has an adoption pending, and I believe Bruiser does too!

Some might say: Why pay so much on six dogs when others need help? Well, for many reasons. One, Golden Huggs already took responsibility for them before they got sick. Two, Tina wasy already caring for them and got them to the vet in time and knows what great pups they are. And what is the alternative? Putting them down when they could be saved? As I said before, that one dog you save might be the one who one day saves his human child from drowning. Or wakes up his family when a fire strikes. Or pulls an autistic child out of their shell. Or simply gives someone who needs it a best friend for life.

And also, through this long ordeal we've all made new friends and rescue contacts. Brigette and Deb even want to come down to visit!

So, you can't put a price on love and friendship, can you?

I'll be off the next two days, and probably "sick as a dog" as well, so if any of you can post topics, please do so!

posted by Sandy at 2/21/2008 05:53:00 PM

18 Comments:

Blogger B said...

Thanks for the billing update Sandy--we were holding onto the candy sale money until we got a tally--so we still have around $150 to send in for the bill.
I have a great story to tell this morning. We went to the Humane Society function last night--had more than I should have to drink on a work night. So needless to say I couldn't sleep cuz I was wired. But all night long, a dog kept barking somewhere outside and my brood would run to the windows in the back to try and figure it out everytime the barking started. This went on all night--I didn't go out because there are so many stray cats and such that appear on Madison street that I figured that this is what was setting the one of many dogs on Madison Street off. SO at 5:30, I take the kids out for their morning potty, and by the fence is sitting little Winston from next door. Of course, my brood went nuts! Bless his little heart, he's gotten away from his mommy at potty time the night before. He was so scared--his little heart beating thirty miles a minute. His night on the streets had been WAY too much for him.
Hes' a good pup, and usually stays with the Mom--but I guess he got a whiff of cat or something and bolted.So I was able to scoop him up and take him back to his Mommy--who was freaked. Happy ending all the way. I don't think he will go on the fly again!!
Miracle of mircales that he spent the night on Madison street and was not turned into a pancake.

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

B, thank God you were able to get little Winston back to his Mom!
What Humane Function was last night? I didn't hear about any going on. Was it just for people who work for them or something? It wasn't a fund raiser was it? If so I thought I would have gotten a email about it.

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

P.S. B, that really bothers me to hear there are so many stray cats on Madison street. Does Suzanne and Getta know about that? I'm sure they would want to try and rescue them, how sad!
I'm sending another check to Golden Huggs today too.

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger tina said...

awwww! aren't baby, cj and bruiser cute?! bruiser is my favorite but they are all so great! 'cept that baby who likes to pee in the house! hard to catch all three and they are getting bigger than i can hold. that is a good thing.

like sandy said, cj and bruiser were fixed and i brought them home yesterday. they are fine! they will ride to nashville with me next thursday (on my way to the lawn and garden show-be sure to look for a post on my blog about it) for a handoff to someone who will watch them until glenda can get them that evening. i will be sad to see them go but am looking for some updates. the whole ramsey family is.

baby had an infection. she is getting better. hopefully shots and spay next week then she too will be leaving. but she is nothing on her own. she follows my dogs and behaves. she is growing ever so fast too.

i will try to snap some pictures on the handoff on thursday and send to sandy to post. baby will be here for awhile so i guess i will get those later. honestly, i will miss them but looking forward to getting life back to normal here-especially since this is a busy time of year for gardeners.

my neighbor has a few mixed pups. they bark like crazy at my pups. do you know my pups don't bark back at all? they are bemused by these other dogs. they're so good. they will make super pets.

Friday, February 22, 2008 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger tina said...

sandy, how did you figure out those pictures were the right pups?

Friday, February 22, 2008 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Pam- there are at least three of those cats with collars--I don't know who they belong too-and I hate to think of calling the pound, but everytime I take the dogs out, one of them is slinking around and sets them to barking. I know the neighbors are ready to kill me. They are HEALTHY, so I know they belong somewhere around us. There is also a beautiful dog that comes thru every once and a while , collared and tagged. Believe me, I have thought about grabbing the cats and taking them to the shelter, but the shelter is full as it is. If I call animal control, they will put them down. I wish I knew which house they belong at, but I'm not gonna waste my time as I am pretty sure they are aware that the cats wonder the neighborhood--don't wanna get arrested for stealing someone elses animals--and that probably what would happen in Clarksville. Save a life-go to jail!

TINA- God bless you and the family for everything you've done! Glad to hear that everyone will be on their way soon. Wish we could have saved them all, but God had other plans. I wonder what happened to the two that were adopted in Waverly--if they got parvo too?

Friday, February 22, 2008 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hey Tina, that's for the great update. I was going to wait until you sent me the new pictures, but an update fit in so well with the topic of sickness. Anyone else getting the flu going round? Glen and I both had our flu shots.

I got the three pictures and knew who was who, from the Golden Huggs Web site! I am so happy two will be on their way soon and Baby soon thereafter.

I am sure Suzanne knows about cats on Madison St. as she lives off the same street. I know they trap and spay and neuter ferals and feed them, etc., but as B said, they have no room for more. I'm also against taking in ferels, because if they are too old they don't make good pets having grown up wild, through no fault of their own, and then they can't help as many cats who would be suitable for adoption and take valuable resources of the shelter. That might sound cold, but that's the truth.

As with all animal problems, it comes down to the fact that PEOPLE are at fault for not spaying and neutering or taking care of their animals.

Yes, what Humane Society function? I didnt' hear of anything either!And I work at the newspaper! Was anything listed there?

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

It was actually a H/S hosted Chamber event where they gave us the certificates of appreciation for the volunteer work on the Wags to Witches Halloween party decorations--or thats what mine was for--I'm sure the others do lots more year round than I did on that one event. It was very nice of them.

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Hey b - just wanted to say hello and show you that I signed up for this.

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:53:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

HEY NESSA!!!!!! Good to see you here!!!! Everybody--this is Nessa, who I met while decorating the ballroom for the H/S Halloween event and hung out with in the "smokers wall" at the party. She's a pet person thru and thru, and I practically begged her to start blogging with us. She is a real sweetie--so you guys put on your best manners and wish her a warm welcome and HELLO!!!!

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Well, heck B, if we put on our best manners, then it just won't be US, now will it?????

Yes, the event was the "Business After Hours" for February and the HS was the host Chamber organization this month. The board thought it would be nice to invite some key volunteers from 2007 and recognize them in a very public setting. So, ya'll didn't miss any great big HS shindig or fundraiser or anything like that.

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger dragon said...

Hi Nessa, I love your name. It starts with an 'N' and wifey pooh thinks I have a fetish for women that have names that begin with (as they say on Sesame Street) THE LETTER 'N'.

B, don't be such a worry wort. We always act on our best behavior. Even when we are being mischivious, we do still show our manners. Skeeter always says "please" before she crams her tongue down my throat. Daisylouu always says "May I?" before she rips my clothes off and puts the thong on me. And I always say "Pardon me" before I accidentally rub up against little girly girls standing in a tight corridor. Even the Saint is always the gentleman by saying "Excuse me" before he reached into Stacey's cleavage and helped adjust her bling. Oh, I see the big picture now that I have listed all these examples. When you said "you guys", you really meant Sandy. We all know that she is the true Yankee, rude and obnoxious and loud. You are afraid she will run off your new friend.

So, Nessa, yes, let me be the first to give you a big, warm hello. I would welcome the opportunity to give you one in person as well.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Oh well hell--then what was I worried about--Gee with all those good manners flying around-GEEEZZ

Saturday, February 23, 2008 1:28:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Just for the record - I'm a damn yankee, too!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:43:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Good. Sandy needs some back up. LOL

I hope you realize that we are mostly harmless. We just like to have a little fun at each other's expense. Kinda like a big, happy family. Did I mention a dysfunctional family???

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Oh no! Not another Yankee! When will they close the border? LOL...
Welcome Nessa, we are a bit crazy but we also love the furry ones and scaly ones such as Dragon boy too....

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Great! I'm always looking to join another dysfunctional family. (Mine can be kind of boring sometimes:)

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:41:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Welcome Nessa!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to have you join us. We are a bit dysfuntional on hre bue the one thing we are NOT and that is boring! Right guys?
I do want to clear one thing up about Dragon , the mean old scaly one, talks a lot about liking the "little girly girls", but they are all of legal age. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about my brother, he is definetly not a molester or pervert of any kind. Ok, maybe a bet perverted but only with consenting adults,hee,hee.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation