The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Those Unplanned Trips to the Vet


Yesterday I had a vet appointment for Scooter's annual shots and exam. I would never remember to schedule an appointment but for the reminder card the clinic sends out.

I really didn't want to go on a Saturday, as I've been wiped out lately and wanted to simply catch up on SLEEP during my two, all-too-short days off. But the only alternative was to drop Scooter off on my way to work and have The Boss pick him up. I decided to simply get it over with and go on Saturday.

On the previous Thursday, I noticed Zoe was licking her butt a bit too much. When I lifted the tail to check, I noticed some blood. A few years ago Zoe had an infected anal gland that burst, which was nasty because it caused a nasty "hole" back there that I had to squeeze antibiotic oinment into. I also noticed when picking up doggie diamonds in the yard that there was a bit of blood there as well.

So, I called to see if I could bring Zoe along for a check. Taking one dog a busy Saturday is bad enough, let alone two, but they were good and I didn't have to wait too long. Scooter got his shots, check and bloodwork to check his liver enzyme levels, something that has to be done regularly since he's on phenobarbytol for his seizures.

Then the vet tech tells me their records show Zoe hasn't been in since 2005! I thought that had to be IMPOSSIBLE! With 5 pets it seems like I'm always there! I guess Zoe fell through the cracks and I didn't get any reminder card, and if I don't get a card, I can't keep track. Good thing rabies shots are good for 3 years despite the fact Tennessee requires it be given annually (but that's anothoer topic).

So, Zoe had to get all of her vaccines and check up, and to boot, she had to get gloved fingers up in her nether region. Her anal gland is infected (thank God it didn't burst!) so she is on antibiotics for 10 days and also a pain meds for the discomfort (I already had some on hand). She also has to go back for a check on Tuesday, which means I drop off, The Boss picks up. The vet said I could also hold a warm compress on her butt to help with discomfort, so I told The Boss he had to hold a warm washcloth on Zoe's butt for an hour every night! LOL. He falls for this every time and gets all mad, becuase "you know I won't do that!" YES, I do know that, and that's why I tease him about it and I always get a rise. When will he learn?"

So, as you can imagine, my bill for the day was quite a bit more than I expected.

This serves a lesson, just like it did with Tina when she noticed the golden pups weren't quite right. She didn't hesitate and took them in, therefore saving their lives. Any waiting and all most likely would have died. And if I didn't decide to take Zoe in for a check, her gland infection would have got worse, burst and it would have been more painful for her (and me!).

So pay attention to those subtle signs and act. Always better safe than sorry!

Picture above is Freeway, my friend Laura's dog whom she adopted before she adopted Scooter, at the Humane Society before he went home with his new Mommny. She is a great, good, loving dog, and through her, I met Laura (and ended up with Scooter). Must take the good with the bad! LOL. One day I must tell the exact story of how Scooter was the chosen one for Laura and a companion to Freeway. One of those fate stories!

posted by Sandy at 2/10/2008 03:33:00 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger dragon said...

I can see how the prospect of holding a warm compress to the butt of an ugly dog would get a rise out of the Boss. But, never fear, if it ever becomes necessary for a warm compress to be held to Daisylouu’s butt, I will be first in line. And yes, more than likely, it would get a rise out of me. Never fear, Sandy, it would not be a subtle sign.

Fate, fate, fate! Every time I turn around, something on this blog is all about fate. I hate to disappoint all you Pet People, but sometimes stuff just happens. There is no great puppet master in the sky pulling our strings. As the Great and Powerful Oz once said, “ignore the man behind the curtain”.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:40:00 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

It's odd how the excretory functions and components thereof are a sure way to tell if a dog or cat is "off." Max had begun urinating lakes of ... well... pee. He has had struvites which act just the opposite and prevent urination. Once we figured out WHO was doing it, we also realized he was drinking a LOT of water. Then when I cleaned the messes I discovered it was very sticky... Red flags went off and we got him in and sure enough... diabetes. He is on insulin and the vet is amazed at how well Max is responding. No more inappropriate lakes and sticky messes.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I choose to keep my eye on the man behind the curtain Dragon. When the curtain falls, I don't want him to look at me like he doesn't know who I am-LOL

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger tina said...

is zoe your little dachsund dog? my dachsund/chihuahua also has anal gland problems. yuck!

all three pups are home. cj is now quite a bit bigger than baby and bruiser and that is something considering she was the smallest along with mia. baby is still a little subdued but eating well and letting her brother know to stay away from her food. they are all playing and now cj can go down the stairs! she really wanted to play with bruiser and baby. i am hoping they tire themselves out playing together. i haven't had a full night's sleep in two weeks but it is getting better. cj only woke up once at 2330 for a pee break then went back to sleep until 0530. that was actually really nice. hopefully they can get ready to go up north. company is nice but sometimes nicer when they leave!

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

House guests and fish, they both last about two days. So glad to hear that the pups are out of the docs. Don't worry--I haven't had a full nights sleep in about four or five years--someone is always getting up to go get a drink of water or the crawl from in under Jeremy's blanket ,to under mine. Of course, you know know what time if the night if might be when her ladyship, the Pearl girl, might decide that your head looks more comfortable than her expensinve pillow bed and sprawl out over your face. I woke up one night and she was on my chest, just looking at me like, "why are you awake?".LOL
Hopefull we can get your house guests on their way up North within the next couple of weeks. My mother always says that when you do something that is self sacrifice, you put a jewel in your crown in heaven. Your gonna look like Queen Isabella when you get there Tina! Bless you dear!

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

TINA! I LOVE YOU! Zoe is my chow/terrier mix, Peanut is the hound mix, but NO doxie! The funny thing is when I found him at 5 months old I thought he was a doxie mix! I knew he was mixed as he had longer legs, but when he grew up it was obvious he had no doxie, but everyone made FUN OF ME for thinking it!

I am so glad three pups made it, and as soon as they are altered I know they'll be ready to go! We must take you out to dinner and more to honor you for your good works in saving those dogs!

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

You will get that jewel in your crown for sure Tina! I am so happy the pups are back together again. Still sad for the other three but oh so happy for this trio....

Sandy, when I first looked at the picture, I thought it was Scooter and was going to mention the rust color on the back and ears as I did not remember that when I met Scooter. Not Scooter at all. Funny....

I dont want to see the man behind the curtain. I like living in my OZ world...

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation