The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Weathering the Storm


So how did everyone make out last night during the wicked weather?

I was glad I was at work, because I didn't have time to worry about my house, The Boss or the pets, only about getting my work done. Work is always a mad-dash nighly event, especially since we are one copy editor short and looking for a replacement. He or she BETTER come soon! So, we were dealing with all the late election stuff when the tornadoes starting touching down. A rough night for everyone across the South.

I know Catfish was under the covers of the bed during the storms; that's what he does when frightened. My dogs aren't bothered by storms as some can be. In fact, some dogs are so terrified they need medication! How do your pets react to lightening and thunder?

I used to LOVE thunderstorms and growing up, would sit on the porch to watch and enjoy. Then shortly after we built our house here, it got struck by lightening. It sounded like a bomb made a direct hit. Lightening surged through all the wires, buring up ever single TV, answering machine, VCR etc. Boy did I make the guy at Circuit City happy when I came in and said I wanted to by three TVs, two VCRs and an answering machine! It also blew a hole in the cider block foundation, blowing chunks of block up through the vent in the master bathroom! If anyone had been sitting on the throne they could have been killed! It also ripped up alot of the A/C ductwork.

Then last year the tornadoes that devestated the Hwy. 13 area struck close to home. I was home and heard the warning. I looked out my kitchen window and the sky was as black as night. The electricity went off. I was freaking out. (I also was in Charleston, S.C. when hurricane Hugo hit in '89) I grabbed a bottle of wine and the dogs and went in the master bath and got in the tub. I couldn't stand the sound of the terrible wind, so I started singing theme songs from old TV shows. I drank that whole bottle of wine in the tub as the storms passed. That really helped, because I wouldn't have cared if I got lifted up and away! It was a horrible feeling. That is, until I got halfway through the wine. I think the dogs were more upset by my singing than anything else, because I am worse than the worst American Idol wannabe!

The tornado was just feet away from my house. The house across the road lost a roof, got extensive water damge, their trees were cut down and their pontoon boat flew from the front of their house, over their house and to the back yard. A few mobile homes down on Hwy. 13 were blown totally away and down a hill.

We weather all kinds of storms. Real storms, personal storms. What have been the worst storms you've weathered, either actual storms or personal ones?

Puppy update: I called Southside this morning to make an appointment for Scooter's annual check up and vaccines. I talked to Vicky and she said the three little goldens are doing fairly well, one so good he's going home today, last I heard from Tina. I hope soon they are all home and can take the final steps to new homes in New England. Again, thank you to EVERYONE who has sent donations for their extensive care. Thank you too to the wonderful vets and staff at Southside for always going above and beyond to help pets and rescues in need. I hope soon the sun will be shining for everyone! I know the pups aren't 100% yet, but I am cautiously optimistic. We all need to have hope!

Picture above is one I think I posted before. When we got the cat fence, we had a tree to close to the edge, and Tarzan realized he could climb up the tree and jump over the fence. He never went far, but I had to go and pick up his fat self and carry him back in. So I had The Boss cut down the tree. (And I NEVER want to cut trees for any reason, but for the pets, I'd cut down a forest!)This was Tarzan's reaction. He started meowing at it and truly had an upset look on his face! The photo illustrates the storms in our lives. For Tarzan, this was a major storm caused by a chainsaw!

posted by Sandy at 2/06/2008 04:00:00 PM

13 Comments:

Blogger O'Malley said...

Sandy,
Love the visual of you in the tub with a bottle of wine singing..haha Sounds like a good plan tho. We had already lost our last bradford pear in last Tuesdays wind so we are now treeless.

I am so glad one of the pups is home. Praying the others follow soon. Bless Tina, I am sure this has been such an emotional roller coaster for her.

I wish I knew how to make a video with my camcorder and transfer it online. I don't know if my camera has the ability to do that I am too techno illiterate to know myself. I got the cutest video of the new boxer Gracie today. SHe is very intrigued by the ringing of the phone. We have one phone that sits on the floor. Today she has "answered" it about 4 times. Too funny to watch her run over to the phone, cock her head sideways and then knock it off the hook. Maybe I will eventually figure out my camcorder.

Hmmm...storms..I think we could all probably write a book couldn't we. Growing up both my parents were alcoholics. That is probably the hardest thing I have had to deal with. Not having a relationship with your parents because they choose the bottle over you. But, I do believe that has made me a better parent and the strong, independent person I am today. I am blessed with a loving healthy family so I have nothing to complain about. You can't change the past but you can use it to make a difference.

I hope everyone fared well thru the storm. I know I was tired today...needed a nap. I am too old to stay up late watching the weather!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 5:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lola said...

Great pic.
Kitty looks as though it's saying "What do you mean? I didn't do it."

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:01:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hi Lola, hope you come back often and tell us all about yourself.

Tarzan was very upset we cut his tree down. he was shocked I tell you, shocked! LOL

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

It was a storm that brought my two furry babies into the house from the yard for the last time! I think I have told this before…

As you know, they wandered out from the woods as strays. I was weak as I had lost my 16 year old Skeeter 4 months earlier and was still depressed over his leaving us. I started to take care of them in the yard. They would hang out in the tree-house that was left in our side woods by the previous homeowners. I thought they were both kittens but it turns out that Sheba is Cheetahs mother! She was just so young and underfed before finding us. I had wanted to get them tame enough to have them fixed then let them remain in the yard to be cats. We live in the country and are way off the street so I thought they would be fine outside. We had planned to get a small dog in time after Skeeter’s death so this would work out fine.

Sheba was not a problem as she was friendly and came to me with no fighting but Cheetah was so timid about people (she remains that way today except with us) that I had to work to earn her trust. I got one of Skeeter's stick toys (I still had all of his toys, did not have the heart to get rid of them) and play with them on the front porch. I gave them kitten milk to fatten them up a bit. I would then leave them dry food to munch on and fresh water. In time, I had them coming into the sunroom from the backyard for food and milk. But they would always eat and run back outside.

One day a horrible storm came through which I just knew had a tornado attached. I saw little Cheetah in the tree-house in our side yard. She was climbing on the trees and railings as I watched through the foggy binoculars. They were fogged by my crying. The storm was so brutal that I was too scared to go to her. As soon as there was a break in the storm, I put on a heavy military type Raincoat and ran to that baby with a dry towel. She saw me and for the first time, came running into my arms! That baby needed me and I knew it that moment! I wrapped her little soaking wet body up in the towel and handled her as if she were a newborn baby! Sheba showed up later that day dry as can be. Don’t know where she was during the storm but she is smart and can take care of herself unlike Cheetah. That day I became a new mommy and those babies have never gone outside again! And we never got that dog either!

Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

It wasn't a horrific storm that brought Pearl to us, but it was one bad enough that I couldn't stand to leave her out in it.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Any new word on the pups still under vet care?

Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I just emailed Deb but haven't heard yet. No post from Tina either. Hoping to hear soon!

Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

We had been within a few feet of a couple of tornados before but hadn't been actually hit untill year before last ( the one you mentioned Sandy ) and that one got us. It actually hit our house blowing out our attic and all the insulation all over. Our street looked like a war zone after it was over. It was dark and the rain was poring , the electric company, and fire department were all over, it was just awful. Of course the girls and I were home alone and down in the basement praying hard as we could. I really thought we might die! It was a horrible experience especially since I'm so scared of tornados in the first place. We were in the basement Tuesday night two, two different times, finally got to bed about 2:00a.m. when the news gave the all clear for Clarksville. Thar tornado warning siren is so scarey but thank God for it!

Glad to her the puppies are doing better, praying they will all go home soon! Thanks Tina for all you're doing!

Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:48:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

sorry about updating. i did post an update on my blog but don't always get over here.

cj is great. yesterday bruiser and baby were holding their own, not better or worse but the doctor thinks they should be better by now.

hopefully today will bring us some good news in about half an hour.

Friday, February 08, 2008 7:44:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I just talked to Dr. Hampton about something else and asked about the pups. He said he thinks they are doing pretty good and probably can leave later today! Crossed fingers again! It would be so great to save three! Faith, Hope and Charity! :) Dont' want to get hopes too too high, but so far so good.

Tina, words can not describe how truly wonderful you have been through all of this. Again, thanks to EVERYONE who is helping with the vet costs and to the vets and techs themselves who have been so wonderful!

Friday, February 08, 2008 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Thank God I need some good news! If those little guys have fought it out this far, I know they can make it across the finish line. Jeremy and I will be selling Valentines candy bags next week here at our offices til Valentines day @ $1 per bag. I made 50 bags so far, and we usually sell some jars or baskets with stuff at his office (they have the $$$). I usually do this for Cats R Us, but I know they won't mind if I do it for this cause. We have the St Pattys Day Party coming up in MArch for Cats R US, Second Chance, and Precious Friends. So they have a fund raiser in place, plus hopefully we can do another yard sale soon. I'm sure we can widdle this vet thing into history quickly.

Friday, February 08, 2008 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Brett, you can go to the Leaf-Chronicle main page and click on 'Get Published' and sumbit news of these events and they'll get in the paper as well as online. Uploading photos is easy and will be in print too as space allows. They'll usually put stuff like that on the same page with my column and pets of the week. It's really easy to do! And it will help get the word out! Check it out! You or Jeremy!

Friday, February 08, 2008 1:36:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

We are supposed to have an organizational meeting sometime this coming week. Everyone has been out there working on it, but everyone needs to come together an lay out what we have on the table and decide what else we need. I will try to compose the information and get it on the page.

Friday, February 08, 2008 2:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation