The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Monday, February 11, 2008

Wheels of Fortune and Fence Follies



Those of you who get the printed Leaf-Chronicle probably saw the story on Sunday about the little dog who was born without front legs. The little girl would scoot on her back legs, pushing her torso across the floor. She'd probably not mind living this way,the people in the article said, but doing so would put a huge strain on her back, causing future problems and injuries.

So, a Chattanooga orthotist with a prosthetics company made a set of wheels, free of charge, for the dog, who's name is Hope. The devise is made with model airplane wheels and spring-loaded arms that hook to a custom-fitted chest plate to allow the dog to lie down or sit up without removing the legs.

They say pets do really well with prothestics, because they don't get depressed about losing a leg or arm as a person might and that they are always ready to play and romp no matter what the disability. This little dog, when born, was pushed away by litter mates and she couldn't get enough to eat, so the Maltese was taken by a Maltese rescue group that found her a good home. The company will make new legs as she grows. The couple who adopted her have five Yorkies and now two Maltese and have arranged their work schedules so someone is always home with Hope. They say she has no concept that she's not a "normal" dog and is sweet, friendly and playful.

What an inspirational story!Hope is a good name for the dog, but I think she should have an aviation-related name since she's on airplane wheels. Maybe Amelia? Flygirl?

And on a local note, Inge Irby of Second Chance sent me a photo and story of a little Boston terrier named Sgt. Robers,also pictured above. Here's his story:

"Sgt. Rogers tried to jump over a fence and had a very bad accident, as you can see by the photos. He was found with a huge open wound on his belly and will need several operations. However, he is doing just fine and the vet says he's not in pain and that the surgery is primarily cosmetic. The accident happened about three weeks ago and he is clear of infection, but his surgery will still cost several hundreds of dollars. If you would like to help little Sgt. Roger get back to full duty as soon as possible, please click on the PayPal button at www.seconchancehappytails.petfinder.org to make a secure credit card donation. You do not need a PayPal account to make a donation. Thank you in advance for any help you can give, says Sgt. Rogers!"

And if you love Boston Terriers and are looking for a new canine companion, go to the Second Chance Happy TAils Web site and fill out an adoption application for Sgt. Rogers! He's a cutie! My Mom always loved Bostons, as she had one as a kid. They are adorable!

posted by Sandy at 2/11/2008 03:29:00 PM

12 Comments:

Blogger B said...

That story gives new meaning to "H*ll on Wheels"-LOL. Can you imagine one of mine on wheels? I'd be cleaning tire tracks off the CEILING every day!
Is it not amazing what science can do? Poor little Sgt Rogers. Thank goodness he wasn't infected or impailed. Brave little man--I think I'll send him a check.LOL

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'd love to see Hines on wheels! That would be hilarious! You'd have to change your steps to ramps though. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Just look how CUTE that little legless dog is, it reminds me of a toy from my youth, the little animals on wheels you pulled by a string. Guess they dont' make those any more.

Anyone talk to Tina, Deb or Brig lately? I thought someone said one or more of the pups already had a home lined up. All they need now is the snip-snip and they should be good to go. We need to get Tina out for a big thank-you dinner party!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Whisper said...

I am always amazed at the resiliency of animals to cope with whatever is thrown at them. Herbie (aka Thumper from Cats Are Us) still has a wonky back left leg. It sort of skids out behind him when he runs. But he does NOT let that stop him from running and jumping. He and Niki zoom around the house and Herbie flies up to the counter or anyplace up high. Little Roxy is still so small that I have placed objects that act as steps for her to get to the cat food. She figured it out quickly and zooms about the house chasing after Herbie and Niki.

We can all learn a life lesson from animals. Don't sit and mope about things you can't change.... deal with it and move on. If it CAN be changed, great! But don't sit around waiting. Do what you can with what you have.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Amen Alice!!!You need to expand on that lesson and post it as a topic. I know we have all learned things from our pets, including that sometimes life stinks. But we just have to buy a stick of Old SPice and move on-LOL

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

What cute babies!
Good outlook Alice!
Sandy, I had one of those toys! Mine was a Beagle dog and I named him snoopy. That dog went all over the place with me! I saw one a while back in an Antique store. Brought back memories...

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I have a cow pull toy I got for my first birtday. I have to tell you about the huge fight Daisy and I had over it. I was visiting several years ago and saw it in her house. I said, "That's MINE!" and figured she'd give it to me, as I had proof it was mine (it was listed as "first presents" in my baby book. She had a fit! Long story short, I suggested we send it back and forth every year, but eventually she gave it to me and got another one from Ebay.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Saw that article in the paper too and it was so heartwarming. Glad Sgt. Rogers is ok too.

Now for something that broke my heart yesterday. I was watching Rachel Ray and Mary Louise Parker wa son there. She was showing a photo she posed for with a huge Boa constrictor wrapped around her. She said it eats Bunnies. The sad part for me was she said they feed it "mostly" lame rabbits or real old ones. Now taht hurt my heart, like lame ones and old ones have no value. What if we acted like that with people? It just made me so sad. I know snakes have to eat too but why can't the feed them dead animals or at least ones taht are sedated to the paoint where they don't feel the pain when they are eatten? I know they can because I've heard animals experts say so. They have said they will eat frozen things. This brings me to a subject that has bothered me for years. We have friends who have had Bunnies for pets. They live in a cage in thier back yard. Just a small rabbit cage and they are there during the worst of the worst of storms. I know they must get frightening and all. What kind of life they have, it's terrible. This is thier third or more pairs of bunnies too. All thier others have died. I read that Bunnies are like other domesticated animals when they are pets and need love and attention like cats and dogs. They need toys and vet care all all. These poor little Bunnies don't have any care. They do take them on occasion into thier house for thier little girl ( whom they bought them for in the first place ) but they don't get to stay long. I've fed them when these people were away and they just look so pityful and lonely. I have tried to talk to these people about this but they laugh at me. I mean I have talked till I am blue in the favce about how they care for thier animals but it does no good! In fact wnot long ago I said, you know you really need to get the Bunnies out of the cage because they can get very depressed. The woman laughed and said well, our rabbits don't tend to live very long. That hurt my heart! She also said well every time they die her husband brings more back and she doesn't want them. These poor animals don't deserve to live like that.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:03:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

please ignor all mispellings and grammar and just listen to my words, ha.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:04:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I will never understand why people want animals, yet let them live the way you describe those poor bunnies! People are SICK.

As to snake food: I know someone who LOVES snakes and has a lot of them. A LOT. But they buy frozen mice, rabbits etc for the food. Believe it or not, a snake can be injured by live food, as you can imagine, any prey will fight back.

I know the laws of nature and the survival of the fittest, but if you have a pet, they are not living in the wild, so accomodations for humane treatment can be made.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Whisper said...

My nephew wanted a snake at one point and I did some research about what snakes ate... I had a bad feeling about it but didn't know the facts. I discovered they fed the snake he wanted "fingerlings" - baby mice. But they weren't fed to the snake live. They had to be killed first. You kill them by holding thetail and whacking it against a hard surface. Needless to say, I was horrified and repelled. But I didn't want to prejudice my nephew so I took him to a pet store and showed him the baby mice and explained how they are prepared for the snake. He stood there a moment and looked at me and said he didn't want a snake anymore.

I have had friends who kept snakes... and kept them well. I had no complaints about them having them. I could never do it. I personally don't understand the attraction. But as long as the person is responsible and caring to the pet, it's not up to me.

I have had pet rats and a pet spider. I have had fish. Snakes, bunnies, no. But regardless the most important thing is love and responsibility for the critter.

The bunny story hurts me too. I wish I copuld put the humans in a cage for them to experience what it's like. And not just for a few hours... but weeks and weeks through all the seasons.

But that would be cruel..wouldn't it?

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh Alice id only we could do that with humans,sigh...............

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Pam, that is so sad.... sniff, sniff...

Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation