The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"You Should" adopts a boxer!



I can picture in my mind how our very own Shannon O'Malley went about getting boxer Gracie (formerly Samantha)into the pack, as The Boss and I have gone down the same road many times.

If you recall, an injured, small boxer ended up at Animal Control. The Humane Society sent out an Action Line to everyone on their e-mail list about this dog, hoping someone would foster her until she could be treated and then adopted. Shannon got wind of this poor girl and took her under her wing, supposedly as a "foster."

Now, we also know that "You Should" is in Iraq and he made her promise she wouldn't be DOING such things as bringing in new pets. Remember the cat that she also was going to be taking care of "temporarily?" Ha, ha, ha.

Well, you can guess what has happened. Gracie is now Rocky's best gal, permanant resident and Queen of the castle!

Shannon says: "I thought I would share a few more pics of Gracie. She went to the vet on Friday to have her stitches removed and she had gained almost 3 pounds. She is playing like a puppy and her stiff leg never seems to get in the way. Her demeaner has changed dramatically. She was nervous, timid, always with a scared look on her face. Now she greets us with a doggie smile, tustles with Rocky constantly, and is the first one to jump on the couch with you for a snuggle. She listens and is very , VERY well behaved. She is such a positive influence on Rocky. He is so glad to have a friend to play with."

"OK...the first picture looks like something is going on that shouldn't be...but its not, I promise. They had just finished with a massive wrestling match when Gracie decided it was time to rest. Rocky proceeded to follow her lead and just plopped down on her. As you can tell, they are getting along great. They act like they have been friends forever."

"Also, I did hear from my hubby and he is not going to divorce me and said we can keep her. Yay!! maybe he's not such a meanie after all!"

I just LOVE good news and happy endings. And I think the new name for Shannon's long-suffering husband should now be "You Should just keep your mouth shut," because you'll always lose these battles! Just ask The Boss!

So what good things have been happening in your house of animals?

posted by Sandy at 2/13/2008 03:37:00 PM

10 Comments:

Blogger B said...

AHHH--at the house of Hines, Lucy, Charlie and Pearl, things are always perking right a long. This morning, the temp was like 15 (or it felt like it) and Hines ran down the steps, peed, and ran right back up. He gave me that look like--"You really don't think I'm staying out here do you?" What was funny was that Lucy and Charlie did the exact same thing. So they were outside less than a minute before they were all standing up on the porch looking at me like "Put that cigarette out you idiot-it's cold out here!"
Poor little Hines, he immediately runs in and curls up under the covers. He gets cold easy.
Charlie, my big baby, he just follows me around and then gives me the "i'm gonna cry" look when he sees me reach for my coat to leave. Lucy just sits on her butt with "your still here?" on her face. Charlie crawls in his house every morning and sobs. Of course, you know the minute we leave, the cards and the cigars come out. I think Charlie must have lost the last hand the other night, cuz all his toys were lying in a neat little pile near Hines---go figure? Hine... innnocent pup, or finning card shark?

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

Oh B,

Too funny, Hines the card shark. Yes, I can def see the cards and cigs coming out with your crew. My doggies loved the white stuff this morning. They both have the boxer spin (aka I am chasing my tail and leaping at the same time) down-pat so they were whirling around in the yard throwing the snow all over each other.

I know I have seen Hines but what breed is he? It seems like I remember him looking similar to my daughters rat terrier Pete. You made me think of him because Pete is super cold natured too and sleeps under the covers. Too cute I think.

Thank you Sandy for putting my babies on the blog! I am like a new mommy. I walk around taking pictures of them snuggling and playing with each other. Maybe it doesn't always work out this well with a shelter doggie, but I am sold. Before we adopted Rocky we had said we would get our next dog from the shelter. It is amazing to me that after we lost our boxer Harley, we have been blessed with not one but 2 boxers that needed homes. It seems we didn't need to go looking for doggies, they found us.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

O'Malley, you need to start the Boxer Rescue Clarksville Chapter!
With the touch and go saga of the Golden pups, now three with Foster mommy Tina and now this wonderful story of Gracie and Rocky, my heart feels much happier tonight! Finally some good news....

Yep, B, I bet the gang does get the cards out as your tail lights disappear in the mist of morning.... I would love to put a hidden camera in the house when we are not around to see what the girls do....

I had a container on the kitchen counter top that I put compost materials in. It was full of plant leaves from a sad looking house plant. Anyway, I found one single leaf out of the container and on the countertop. It was half chewed and still had spit on it. Sheba was looking mighty guilty as she came out of the kitchen as I approached the doorway but I know it could not be her as the cats are not allowed on the kitchen countertop. Hummm wonder how it happened....

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Shannon, Hines is a rat terrior (AKA Rat Terror) mixed with Jack russell. LOTS of energy!! He has put new life into the older ones. He has been nothing but a blessing to us. I call him "the velvet tongue" cuz he always wants to lick, and it just feels so smooth--and weird-LOL.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

The Saint, Skeeter, it was the Saint who chewed the plant and is trying to make it look like the cats did it! I would bet on it. He saw that plant and it just looked so darn good he had to taste it. He thought you would never know if he put it in the compost but you caught him. Shame Saint, just shame!
Shannon, congrats on your latest adoption, she's a sweetie! Those two look like they ahve been raised together from babies, it was meant to be. You do have me thinking now. Fly Boy is leaving for Iraq soon so what will I buy? He says I always buy a lot when he's on missions so hhmmmm what do I want now? I know another animal is out of the question because I can't handle anymore by myself but I can buy stuff! I'm starting to rub my hands together just thinking about it!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:01:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

FLYBOY HIDE THE CHECKBOOK AND CREDIT CARDS!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:30:00 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Well, Pam, instead of buying material things for yourself, since we all know you have a house full of wonderful stuff..... You should just spend the money on the animals. Help Golden Huggs pay off those vet bills. Buy more litter for Cats R Us. Help Inge pay the vet bills for Sgt Rogers. The list goes on and on and on....

That way, Flyboy can't gripe too much, because you didn't fill up the house with more stuff, or more cats!!!!!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Money, money, money,--I'm glad somebody has it-LOL!!!!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hey, rebate checks coming this spring/summer! Unexpected MONEY. We can do a campaign about using some or all of it FOR THE ANIMALS in need! I know that's where my half is going! We can call it: Rebates for Rascals!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Yea Stacey, you are right but I'm not really going to be spending a bunch while he's in Iraq. If I could pay all those bills for all the animals you know I'd be chomping at the bit to do so. My dream is to have all the money I want to help animals. If I ever win the lottery I will start something taht will help get the world helping animals everywhere!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation