The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Friday, March 07, 2008

Hide and Seek by Skeeter



In Arkansas, a tornado ripped through a house leaving it damaged and the family’s beloved Basset hound-Blue heeler mix missing. The family checked in at the house every day to see if Pongo made it back safely. 3 weeks later, the hungry but healthy 9-year old boy made it home to a happy greeting from his family!

A cat hitched a 773 mile ride from New Jersey to Georgia on a moving van. Heathcliff was reported missing on Oct 24 of last year from Sicklerville, NJ. The cat was identified Nov 9 at Gwinnett Animal Welfare in GA, when scanned for a microchip. Luckily the orange Tabby had a microchip with all the information needed for a Volunteer group to get Heathcliff back to his owners. Wow, what an adventure for Heathcliff and what luck his owners had him micro-chipped!

The picture is of the Saints sister cat Missy. (If you click on the picture, it will enlarge so as to view it more clearly) I would not be able to see her if not for mom holding her head up! Someone gave Mom B a plastic garbage bag full of silk flowers. She plopped them on the guest bed and later in the day she noticed the bag moving. Upon further investigation, she found Missy snuggled up in the flowers in a perfect hiding spot! I bet with Minnie dog in the house, Missy wished that bag was still on the bed! Minnie has way too much energy for Missy and Missy is not happy these days. We are hoping as Minnie ages, she will loose the desires to pounce, and then Missy and she may become friends.

Cats like to find quiet dark spaces to hide. I respect their need to peacefully nap away but I go into a state of panic mode when I cannot find one of my girls. I fear they somehow have gotten out of the house and are in the wild with all the Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh my! (The Saint had me put that part in, Ha) Sheba loves to play 'Hide and Seek' with me. I usually find her accidentally closed up in a closet, the pantry or under the bathroom vanity all safe and sound. Then she gives me that “Why did you open that door” look as I force her out…

Of course there was the time Skeeter had me in a severe panic mode to the tune of tears. I found him about 30 minutes later in the box springs! He had enlarged a small hole (made from one of our many relocation moves) and crawled up into the springs. I could have killed that little boy for putting me through that one! Another time he had me in tears when I could not find him. I found him on top of the refrigerator calmly looking down at me. I have no idea what compelled him to get on top the refrigerator as he had never done that before nor did he get on counter tops which he had to use in order to get up that high!

I bet Pam is like me and panics when she cannot find a missing fur baby. Or am I the only one that panics when I miss a baby? The Saint always laughs at me and says they are in the house somewhere and for me to not freak out. He says I am such a worry wart!

Who else looses their cats and do any of your dogs hide like this?

posted by Skeeter at 3/07/2008 04:02:00 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

awesome post skeeter!

Friday, March 07, 2008 7:37:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

A good topic Skeeter!

None of my dogs hide, but Peanut, being the Wussy little man that he is, has tendencies. He likes going for a walk,but when I walk toward him with the leash, he cowers and hides his nose in the corner of the room. I have no idea why he's so timid when you approach him for anything.

Catfish is the ultimate hider. That's so funny about the box springs. I can see now how cats go missing when moving.

Catfish hid for three weeks under the porch when I first brought him home from Cats Are Us. He came out only at night to eat. The Boss thought he escaped from the Cat Fence, as we couldn't see him under the porch with a flashlight. I figure he waqs holed up in the hollow of the concrete steps.

Today, when he is upset over noise outside or thunder, he'll get up under the covers of the bed or throw on the couch and all you see is his little lump. Tarzan never hides.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:38:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My husband and I thought we had lost our cat, Squirty at a motel in Arizona when coming accross country from California to our new home in Kentucky. We had motel staff searching the bushes in the dark. Later she was found hiding under the bed! Poor kitty also upchucked in 8 different states that trip!

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Thanks Tina, I love to talk about my fur babies!

Sandy,
Skeeter, Sheba and Cheetah hide under the covers of the bed. Skeeter would go all the way to the sheets. Cheetah will only go one level down unless we have company in the house then all the way to the sheets, the scardy cat. Sheba will only go down one layer usually on the foot throw!

Ginger,
We almost lost Skeeter on a VA to CO relocation. That was before we were smart enough to have a kennel and he escaped as soon as the car door was open at the hotel in Indiana! He darted under the car and I was right behind him and grabbed his tail. I was so scared of him getting run over by a car with the busy interstate beside us that I was not thinking about hurting him while pulling him by the tail... Poor baby, am sure he was a scared as me...We bought him a kennel as soon as we arrived in CO... Lesson learned...

Saturday, March 08, 2008 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Skeeter, yes, yes, yes, I do panic when I can't find one of my girls and Fly Boy gets so irate at me. he says, you know she's just hiding somewhere so why do you always have to panic so? I can't help it, I worry thatt somehow they have managed to slip out even thugh we are so careful with all the doors.
We thought we lost Tiger on our trip across country too Ginger. We were loading the car back up and Tiger was nowhere to be seen. We called and called him but no response. We searched outside and my daughter and I were in tears. We had to leave and just thought he was gone forever. We decided to check the bed one more time. It was made wierd and we couldn't even see how he could have gotten under it as it had boards all around it. Fly Boy lifted the whole mattress up off the bed and there that little rascal was! We were so relieved I can't even express it! We'd been praying and praying so now we were sending up prayers of thanks for finding him! What these animals can put us through!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation