The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Monday, March 24, 2008

Yard Help by Skeeter




A little while back Tina “In the Garden” posted a picture of BJ her Golden with his ball. As Tina takes to the yard to dig a hole to plant something, BJ is there with his ball. As she bends down to pull a weed, BJ is there with his ball. When Tina is in the yard, her Fur Baby BJ is always there with his trusty ball ready for duty.

The Saint and I visited Tina one fall afternoon last year. As we strolled along in her garden, BJ stayed at the Saint’s side with his ball through most of our journey. BJ loved the Saint throwing the ball for him. The Saint missed a lot of the garden due to BJ’s distraction. We need another visit to Tina’s garden some day so the Saint can see what he missed! Hum, I wonder, can a dog be taught to pull weeds? I bet Tina would really enjoy BJ’s help a bit more then!

I am not lucky enough to have a garden helper in the yard with me. My kitties stay in the house at all times where all is secure. This morning I dreamed that I had let Cheetah out to enjoy the sun beam in the backyard and she ran off into the scary woods. I was frantically searching for her to no avail. I woke up from my nightmare to find both my furry babies comfortable snuggled up with me in the bed! Wow, what a relief for me to see my girls snug as bugs in a rug after such a scary dream!

My parents have three cats which stay inside only. However, dad (Big Daddy) has a helper while in the yard. In the picture above, you will see this beautiful fluffy boy (Mr. McTavish) getting the lawn mower seat warmed up for my Big Daddy. This pretty boy belongs to the neighbors but comes to visit my parents every day. Heck, he practically lives with my parents! He has his own spot on the screened porch for snooze time! He follows Big Daddy all over the yard like a little puppy dog. Big Daddy really enjoys him being around to assist in the yard work. Molly dog would follow Big Daddy around in the yard and kept him company. She has been over the Rainbow Bridge for many years now but I know he still misses her. I think Mr. McTavish kind of fills that void feeling while in the yard with Molly’s absence…

Anyone else have any furry help while in the yard for work or a stroll???
Just remember, keep them safe while doing yard work...

posted by Skeeter at 3/24/2008 09:55:00 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I just love these pictures. What is it about cats? They can have such a disdainful, superior look on their face that no dog ever could muster. This cat, though orange, reminds me of my cat Yogi, who had long gray hair.

About Tina's dog and his ball. That sounds so much like Peanut, who loves his balls. He doesn't like to fetch them that much, but he likes to carry them around, in and out. Sometimes he'll chase it, but won't bring it back. And sometimes if I throw it and Scooter's out too, Peanut will hang back and wait to see if Scooter wants it first. Peanut knows who outranks him in the pack.

Yard helpers? That would be Scooter. He loves to dig holes, which often are big enough to plant a tree in. Trouble is, he doesn't ask where we'd like a hole or IF we'd like a hole. The Boss often finds smaller holes when he twists his ankle in them.

Scooter is also good and killing moles or voles that tunnel in the yard. Of course, this also requires some furious digging and when The Boss complains I say, "But he got the mole!"

The Boss cut the backyard grass for the first time this year. One thing he hates about summer. I told him it's his fault for making such a huge front and back yard when we built the house. And he hates all the trees and shrubs we've planted. He'd rather have an open football field for easy mowing!

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

I have three wood chippers. Since it's been warm and we have an little extra daylight when we get home in the evening, we play fetch. But Lucy is the only one who wants to fetch--Charlie and Hines just chew the stick up into pieces and come back for another. I figure by the first mowing, we should be stick/limb free!!!!

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

skeeter, you are such a good storyteller! so sweet to mention by partner! let me tell you, he weeds-just the wrong things! but fences are coming down and going away-now i need to keep him from trampling it all...

what a horrid dream! great they were there by you! maybe someday an outside partner. come visit anytime. coming in may? good luck in hospital with recovery. saint will truly miss you talking!!!

sandy, it is great when our dogs have a motivator..so easy to get their attention. shh. don't tell them..

b, good luck chipping. i myself am on my way to the dump.

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

forgot to say, brig and deb sent me a very nice thank you card for their little pups. i wish i could've sent them all six. but sigh. it was not to be. brig and deb, if you are reading-thanks and you are welcomed! i still think you two need a blog as well!

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Sandy, It must be a guy thing! The Saint cringes every time I say anything about planting something in the grassy area of the yard. In his mind, it should be nothing but grass. But he is so proud of the compliments we get on the stuff that is in the grass! Send me Scooter for a day or two so he can get rid of my voles! The Saint is not getting off the hook too easily; I will have a bell by my side! Ring once for wine, Twice for food, three for, uhg, use your imagination. Ha, not sure I will want any thing other then a warm bed and my kitties to snuggle with me for a while.... I am tough and will be back soon....

Wood chippers. Too funny B, I thought Hines liked to make beaver dams with his piles of sticks.... LOL...

Tina come on now; teach BJ the difference between a weed and flower! LOL... I am so happy the Golden’s found good homes. Looking forward to their updates in days to come.

Will be back soon as I get over my sore throat!

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

Ah my little Hines--such a mystery--you never know whats going on in that little mind of his. Did I mention--he will let me give him kisses now? He'll hold really still and little me kiss his little face. Used to he would go biserk if you got close to his face and he couldn't lick my nose. Now he lies still and gets his kisses from Daddy and then he kisses Daddy back on his nose.
Yeah--I'm crazy--but it's just about my babies

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation