The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN
  Welcome to The Leaf Chronicle Clarksville, TN Customer Service:   Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us
  theleafchronicle.com   Weather   Jobs   Cars   Homes   Apartments   Shopping   Classifieds   Dating
7 days Archive    

Pet People

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cheetha gets a pet-icure by Skeeter







Is that a well behaved little girl or what? Cheetah (aka. Monkey) is my good baby. She will let me do practically anything to her. She is so much like my little man Skeeter was that it is scary at times. She has many of his traits and getting a pedicure is one of them. It did not take but a few nail clippings before she became this good for me…

Sheba on the other hand fights me a bit. It takes longer to do hers as she does not like to be held for any reason. She will let me get the back nails just fine but by the time we get to the front paws, she is bored of me and ready to move on so we struggle a bit. But over all, she is good too.

We had Skeeter’s front paws declawed because back then, that is what we thought you did to “indoor only” cats. Duh, Later on in life, we realized (educated ourselves) we did not have to declaw him and we regretted having it done to him. We had to watch him so closely with open doors as we feared him getting out of the house and then not being able to defend himself against another animal. I would clip his back nails and he was just as good as you see Cheetah is about it. So when the girls came into our lives, we decided from day one they would not be declawed.

I worked with them day in and day out from scratching on the furniture. I taught them what was okay and what was not okay to scratch on. It took about 6 months of me constantly on top of them before they learned. But bottom line, they learned. It took a lot of time from my day but in the end, it was time well spent. I still catch Cheetah scratching on a thing or two but I quickly get to her before she does any damage…

How are your cats and dogs with nail clippings? I know Poncho (cartoon) tries to hide the clippers! Too funny that Poncho…

Labels:

posted by Skeeter at 2/27/2008 06:12:00 PM

8 Comments:

Blogger Jean Merriman said...

Woweee Skeeter. What an amazing cat as usually cats do not like that at all. Must be the good mothering she gets cause she sure does look like butter in your lap.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I was truly amazed to see how good this cat is during a nail clipping! Sitting there like a such a sweet good girl!

Then I realized....after the ordeal of the annual haircuts, this nail clipping business is a piece of cake, so she sits still! LOL. I will be waiting for the video of the hair-cutting procedure! LOL.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 1:09:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I sure wish my girls would sit that still for thier trims. I can get them to sit still for the front paws sometimes but getting the toes is sooo hard! They hate it! What a good girl yours was!

Saturday, March 01, 2008 2:50:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

i didn't even know you cut cats toenails.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 6:19:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Jean, I like to think I am a good mommy to my fur babies. I have spent a lot of time working with them so they are conditioned well. I always give them a treat after the clippings and that seems to be the trick. They know a treat is coming so they sit and wait while the other girl gets her pet-icure, then they look for the treats!

Sandy, I dont back down to the cats. We have it my way and they seem to know so they dont fight me too much except for the hair cuts which by the way, you will not be seeing on video! Hair flies everywhere! And they wiggle too way too much... LOL...

Pam, Wish I could help you clip your girls nails but dont think I could be of much help. I have mine trained to respond to my commands and they know I dont back down. I doubt your cats would respond to me since they dont know me that well...

Tina, since my cats are inside and never get outside, they are not in the wild to be able to properly wear down their own claws by scratching on trees, etc. We do have items in the house for them to scratch on but they do not wear the claws down like a cat does for themselves in the wild. I only trim them about every 6 weeks or so. I usually get the sign when I hear Cheetahs nails on the wood floor when walking. Hers seem to grow the longest and quickest.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger O'Malley said...

Skeeter- that is amazing. You will forever be known as the cat whisperer. My kitties would be using my head as a scratching post if I tried that. Very impressive. Maybe you should write a book on training cats. I know I would read it if I thought I could get results like that!

Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:52:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Yea me too Skeeter, on you helping with the nail cutting. Fly Boy usually has to hold them for me to cut the toe nails, it's just too hard to hold a squirmer while I cut them. They know the routine and that it doesn't hurt except for the couple of times I cut into the quick,ooowwchh! But no one was that hurt and it doesn't take but a couple of minutes. I do have it easier since we switched to the actual animal cutters versus the people clippers, you might want to try them. Penelope is the hardest one to clip usually and she is my wild one and has the worst temper. You might know the baby would be. She is fiesty!

Sunday, March 02, 2008 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

I really dont know what the magic is with my cats. I just dont take anything from them and let them know that I will be the one to get MY way and they will not win no matter what! I am the mommy and what I says goes in this house! If I had a human kid, it would have hated mean old mommy for sure! LOL...

Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Pet People

Sandy Britt, an animal welfare advocate and volunteer with Clarksville rescue organizations, takes care of three dogs: Zoe, Scooter and Peanut; two cats: Catfish and Tarzan; and one husband, Glen, and according to him she takes care of them in that order.
ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

   Gannett.com   USATODAY.com Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
Copyright ©2006 The Leaf Chronicle.
All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
(Terms updated 7/20/05)
USAWEEKEND.COM   Gannett Foundation